Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-09-2009   #11
XfireZ51

Default Re: Winter Project LS-2 Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
I'm willing and able.
Carter,

Different styles of LS coils. The ones mounted on the car are an earlier version LS-2 coil. I also have a set of the "truck" coils you see in the video. The ones with the heat sinks. =Jeff= and I can talk to you about some different style brackets. PM me if you're interested.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #12
carter200

XFIREZ51,
You draw it up and I can machine it. Fax me at 325-625-5795

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #13
tpepmeie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Bob,

Actually spark timing could be affected. There is a "spark latency" associated with our ignition module and the LS coils would add another layer to that. I'll need to put a timing light to it and check how much.
I'd also like to think that the air/fuel combustion is benefitting from hotter spark.
Dom, you must have a really good eye or equipment to see 122 microseconds with a timing light. That's the ECU adjustment for spark latency. Not sure I can understand how the exhaust note is affected either. But, maybe.

Nonetheless, cool project. I'll be watching. Any reason this has to use LS coils? Could it be done with an aftermarket coil on plug (ie, cigar-type coils)?

Todd
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #14
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
Dom, you must have a really good eye or equipment to see 122 microseconds with a timing light. That's the ECU adjustment for spark latency. Not sure I can understand how the exhaust note is affected either. But, maybe.

Nonetheless, cool project. I'll be watching. Any reason this has to use LS coils? Could it be done with an aftermarket coil on plug (ie, cigar-type coils)?

Todd
Todd,

Thanks. I dealt with the question of whether timing could be affected and so I responded that spark latency can affect timing if not accounted for. As you point out the Spark Latency in our cal is 122microsec at 800rpm. Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the spark latency was changing the timing to the point of where it made a difference in engine note. As I understand it, the spark latency on the LS coils is in the neighborhood of 22microsec. Not enough to be discernible by me or anybody else. Maybe my dog. And the faster the rpms, the shorter the latency needs to be. The LT-5 cal drops to 91microsec by 4800rpm.

Just for sh*ts and giggles,if we do the math,

1000rpm/60 sec = 16.67rpsec
16.67rps/1,000,000microsec/sec= .00001667rev/msec
.00001667rev/msec * 360degrees/rev = .006deg/msec
.006deg/microsec * 122microsec = .732deg

5000rpm/60sec = 83.35rps
83.35rps/1000000microsec/sec = .00008335rpm/microsec.
.00008335rpm/msec. * 360deg/rev = .03deg/msec
.03deg/microsec * 91microsec = 2.73deg
91microsec (LT-5 latency) + 22microsec (LS coil latency) = 113microsec
113microsec * .03deg/microsec = 3.39.

So something about .6 -.7deg at 5000rpm additional error

At 7000rpm, its pretty close to 1deg of timing error if not compensated for.

What's pretty neat is that the LS coils have a latency that is nearly 4 times shorter than th LT-5 ignition module. That I suspect can be converted into dwell instead. Effectively, GM eliminated the ignition module by distributing its function to the coils with the PCM doing the sequencing using the crank and cam sensors.(Another reason I'd like to see GM saved.)

As to the COP, I don't know enough about those applications to give an opinion. I suspect part of the reason the GM CNP (Coil Near Plug) is popular is because of availability. Plus the COP is usually found on hemi type combustion chamber OHC motors like ours and not OHV motors like the LSx. My Vibe GT is a COP with the Toyota VVTL 1.8L motor.
Since those coils are built to form factor, I am speculating that it could be restrictive as to capacity not to mention interchangeability. In order to use a COP for our motor, we'd need to find a COP that fit in the plug well. Plug cables give you greater flexibility.
Theoretically, shoould be no reason to prohibit a suitable COP setup. From a aesthetic POV, it would be desireable.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 03-09-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2009   #15
rkreigh

cool stuff but I don't know why this would be worth it.

the factory coil packs are "enough" for even the bad @$$ cars, so what are you trying to "fix" or just daring to be different?

but I have to admit, it sure is a cool idea!

like to hear more because I have a big block chevy that is just dying for that type of mod.

hold the tupperware plz. every time I pop the hood on my TT C5 I kinda sigh a little. it's one ulgly animal. but at least it has teeth!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #16
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
cool stuff but I don't know why this would be worth it.

the factory coil packs are "enough" for even the bad @$$ cars, so what are you trying to "fix" or just daring to be different?

but I have to admit, it sure is a cool idea!

like to hear more because I have a big block chevy that is just dying for that type of mod.

hold the tupperware plz. every time I pop the hood on my TT C5 I kinda sigh a little. it's one ulgly animal. but at least it has teeth!

It would be cool to replace or find a lower cost replacement for the OE IM

Ron hoping the LS coils make more power ove stock.
If so, i'm in. mine will go under the plenum.

Hey Ron any news on the BG drags?

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #17
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It would be cool to replace or find a lower cost replacement for the OE IM

Ron hoping the LS coils make more power ove stock.
If so, i'm in. mine will go under the plenum.

Hey Ron any news on the BG drags?

Pete
Pete,

I'd like to see how that would work. Of course, one of the advantages of CNP(Coil Near Plug) is the short plug leads it makes possible. Coils are also out from under plenum where its cooler. 8 coils under plenum would just multiply heat issue that IMO.

Ron,

The project wasn't started as a whim. My friend Pete above rants about the cost of the LT-5 IM, especially since its unique. That's why I started looking into LS coils. This is a particularly popular ignition upgrade for
Supras, RX-7s, 240/280Zs etc. Also Gen 1 and 2 SBCs are now upgrading ignition systems. Not sure about your BBC. =Jeff= may want to comment on using the eDist for a BBC. The LS-2 coils are favored particularly in forced induction application because the spark is hot enough to allow wider plug gaps without taxing an ignition module.
In its current state, the LS coil conversion removes the IM as part of the "current path" for the ignition coils. By doing so, we significantly reduce the heat and stress on the IM.
Even though this conversion continues to operate in "waste spark" mode,
we are no longer "splitting the spark" between 2 cylinders. Each one gets the voltage of an ignition coil. LS-2 coils have a secondary peak current of 120 milliamps. I have not been able to find what the peak current for the stock LT-5 coils is, but the LS-1 coils have about 40ma.
We'll be doing some testing to see if any of this translates to an increase in power. My working hypothesis is that these coils should be of help, particularly at the top end, with a hotter and more stable spark than stock coils and wires. Some believe that CNP is responsible at least in part for the power the LSx motors make.
Old 03-13-2009   #18
GOLDCYLON

I think its a pretty neat proof of concept.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #19
-=Jeff=-

Ron,

a F.A.S.T. eDIST and a crank trigger and cam sensor would work for your BBC, it will use the LS(x) series coils I was going to do that to my 89, but bought the Z and sold the 89 instead
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #20
jonszr1

you to have done some impressive work, wish i knew more about this stuff , but am dummer than a post about it . sure hope it works ,and if so would be first in line to buy the conversion .nice job guys
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote