ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-29-2008   #11
zr1don

Default Re: A.I.R system Q's

I bought SW headers as part of the "group buy" and they do not have AIR injection provisions, they do have EGR provisions.

RKC I recreated the AIR injection system on my ZR1 last year & most of the parts (mostly plumbing) was still available from GM. I have an extra diverter valve if you are interested.
zr1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #12
tomtom72

Hey Bob thanks for your effort & the picts!

Everyone that was in on the GP from SSW recently, mine came with the EGR tube which my 90 doesn't need and no AIR fittings which we obviously need.

Here is what I'm thinking as I also need to satisfy the Inspectors in NYS: leave the distribution system intact in the car and just find someone to make up the tubes at the primary pipes and then cut the OE tubes and do a compression fitting to connect the two. Ofcourse I'll have to do some trimming.

My problem is with all the stuff on the car I can't quite see exactly what the manifold plumbing looks like to do much ahead of time. The only other thing I can think of is just leaving the system in the car, but not connected to anything & hope that just passing the visual will be enough and also hoping that once the car is on the inspection rollers that the AIR system has no part in the tail pipe emissions. Oh, and I gotta figure out how to ditch the EGR pipe!

Again Bob thanks for your time and effort!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #13
Aurora40

Tom, if you can't see it on mine. Everything from the check valve to the AIR pump is stock. Only the metal tubes from the header primaries were fabbed. Basically there are two tubes vs four on the OEM stuff. The outermost primaries have AIR tubes coming out the sides. These curl around and have the correct fittings attached to connect to the factory check valves. Marc also added some support for the tubes that comes up from the flange of the middle primaries.

I wish I'd photographed them when they were sitting on his workbench, but I didn't bring a camera with me when I took the car up there.

Depending on how the threaded fitting attaches, maybe you could have the tubes welded onto the headers, and just have them left really long. Then you could curve and cut them to fit when installing, adding the threaded fittings on at the same time (assuming they don't get welded).

If the fittings do get welded on, perhaps you could cut tubes to about the right length and get the fittings added, leaving a bit of extra. Then you could basically fine tune them by adjusting how soon they start to curve, how sharp they curve, etc to take up any slack?

It does seem like it would be a huge pain though, especially without the tools and skills to weld. Have you considered buying some used Watsons instead? Many of them had the AIR tubes included. Just a thought.

Here's what the stock stuff looks like:

(taken from Marc's presentation on power improvements, which is why there's that arrow pointing at the pinch)
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 08-30-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #14
Aurora40

Oh, also Tom, make sure the pipes don't intrude into the primary tubes. On the stock stuff, the pipes stick way into the primaries, presumably blocking them up a bit.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #15
tomtom72

Ya know it really amazes me how true that saying is about...."it's not the car, it's the people!".....or when we refer to "the Brothers of the Beast".....no one on the outside looking in would ever believe this is true.

Bob, I got a cold one for ya for all the time you took to lend assistance to me!

I just sent an e-mail to HAT and figure I got nothing to loose if I get a positive response then I'm 'in like flint'.....if I don't hear back I'll understand also....no one likes people that show up to a resturant with their own steak!

In that case I have plenty of C5 & C6 friends that do business with Vette Doctors....who knows maybe with some knee pads and a lot of mouth wash I can get my headers squared away & ship shape so I can install them.

I thank you for your effort to help me out.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 09-01-2008   #16
z proud

Look at the watsons for sale on e bay ...they have air tubes connectors, I would not cut the air tubes off the stock ones... I have some photos of watsons, send me a pm with your e mail,,and I will send them to you ....but the photos on e bay are better
z proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #17
tomtom72

Just thought an update for all of us that bought the headers in the GP & we need to figure out A.I.R. plumbing at the primaries.....HAT has what we need at the website on the services tab, mostly, and look under EPROMS for the updated version of a program for the Electronic Engine Management alterations to our stock EPROMS,

Also chect out summitt racing in the exhaust section, they have a.i.r. plumbing kits for the primaries. Also these guys have some of the other parts in the system: http://catalog.autopartsgiant.com/in...autopartsgiant

Also Jegs has the plumbing kits.

Tom
Old 09-06-2008   #18
zr1don

I've started the installation of my SW's!!! I've removed the stock manifolds (no huge problems, other than the skin I've left in numerous places around the fasteners). I live in CA and require the AIR injection system. I've taken both the stock manifolds & the SW's to my local muffler shop. They are removing the AIR injection tubes from the stock manifolds & installing them on the SW's. I will post pictures when I get them back (should be Mon or Tue).
zr1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #19
Hammer

Talking Re: A.I.R system Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC
This seems to be a common problem for those of us with the visual smog inspection. I'm in CA. Just bought Uly's 1990 and took it into to smog. Didn't even get on the machine, the inspector said I had no AIR system and failed me.

I bought the SW headers but they haven't arrived yet. I think all the correct hoses are there, but those pictures should help with the hook up.
I am not familiar with CA emissions requirements but this might be worth a try.

Try calling the Air Quality Board (if there is one?) and see if they will give you a waiver on the visual AIR Injection requirement. I did that here in Idaho as they are talking of starting emissions testing in the near future and I have headers. The guy told me that he knew most or all of the parts are available for the AIR Injection from GM or other sources, except the solenoid (this makes the system work). He couldn't me spend the $1000's buying the system and then putting in a used 18 year old solenoid with a rubber diaphram that may or may not be good. He would give me a waiver on the AIR, but I would have pass the visual on the cats and pass the sniffer. No other waivers would ever be granted.

By the way, congrats on buying Uly's car, you got a great deal and a nice car from what I knew about it. Heavy mods and it ran great at the mile in Vegas.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #20
WB9MCW

Boy you guys that still have to deal with the Air Nazi - CARB and all that crap I sure feel your pain --- A total PITA no doubt---

Guess we are luck here in IL now since the State is so broke(n) the GOV in is infinate wisdom decided that the # of cars on the road that are 1996 and older are so few % wise he dropped all testing for older rides.

No more rollers and all that fancy time consuming testing only the "Plug and Tell all" from the Brainbox on the 97 and up rides.

Is this actually a logical decision from a State Government?

Maybe we luck out on the Air Police but we sufffer in that many parks are being shut down and the Sec. of State plate renewals dept is totally crap azz now and good luck in getting your "courtesy renewal notice" on time or worse yet the "well we sent your sticker in the mail on bla-bla date" to bad the "mail must have lost it" -- so now you get to visit the (dreaded) DMV facility and wait in the long line to do it the hard way --- which I just did on Friday for both a "lost in the mail" and a no "courtesy renewal" notice on two of my rides. It is so bad --all of this DMV crap-- we citizens are all talking about the BS State of Illinoizy and how pathetic and what a farce it has all become in the Land-O-Lincoln.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 09-07-2008 at 12:51 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote