ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-26-2008   #11
Jeffvette

Default Re: Flywheel Balancing 1992 ZR1

Yes, harmonic balancer pins are no longer available. I'll be weighing the ones I got coming in and will get sizing done. This will be a interesting write up for the registry newsletter dealing with the harmonic balancer.
Old 06-28-2008   #12
rkreigh

check the balance on the flywheel and clutch assembly

the "tuning pins" for the balancer and flywheel for the dynamic balance should be transferred fromt the old flywheel to the same positions on the new one. but since that can't be done, the only way to do it again is having the rotating assembly balanced which really isn't feasible (or cheap) because you need the crank out of the engine.

the "goo" on the beam is an isolater under the c beam bolts

I believe it's purpose is to better secure the bolts and keep them from "digging in" to the soft alum

the bill boudreau beam plates do a much better job at that and stiffen the drive train.

on the balance problem, since the engine "should be" internally balanced I don't think you should be noticing a big difference with a new flywheel as the tuning pins really just are "fine tuning" the balance to achieve the legendary smoothness.

hopefully it's something else like the driveshaft!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #13
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydirks
I have recently discovered that there are no weights in the flywheel and there is noticable vibration above 5000 rpms.
Jerry, Ron, brigns up a good question of the driveshaft.

Do you still get the vibration when sitting in neutral and revving the motor up?
Old 06-28-2008   #14
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydirks
Does anyone know the purpose of the urethane that is applied to the trans and diff connections to the c channel???
The "goo" is applied to reduce the potential for "crevice corrosion" that can develop in the joint area where the aluminum C beam bolts to the aluminum transmission and differential housings. Because if it's galvanic nature aluminum is especially subject to this kind of corrosion. Its purpose is to keep moisture and road salt out and provide some level of dielectric isolation between the aluminum components and steel bolts. Otherwise this contact area could experience severe corrosion and pitting after a few years especially if the car is driven much in the rain or snow where road salt is used. However, most of us don't drive our Zs that much or if at all in such conditions so not using goo is not a big risk. I work in the marine industry and see this kind of corrosion problem quite frequently in ocean going ships and structures in sea water.
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #15
USAFPILOT

I have a vibration that comes on strong above 5K and really strong by 7K in neutral and while in gear. It is not the drive shaft. My car has 50K on it and has not had a new clutch, and has not been opened up to the best of my knowledge. Could my harmonic balance or flywheel just get out of whack on its own?
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #16
rhipsher

There is a technique to doing the half shafts. You have to take one of the caps completely off to get them into place. But there's a little more to it than that. I'm getting ready to do my half shafts in the coming week. Maybe I'll do a "TAH DAH" how to for it.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote