ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-10-2008   #11
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Dymags: which color

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldavis11
There was a long discussion I believe over at Corvette Action Center regarding finishing DyMags. What I got out of the conversation was that it's quite a detailed job to get them done. There is a shop in New England that specializes in wheel repair and folks from all over the world send their (quite) pricey rims to them for restoration / correction. I'll see if I can dig up the threads if you're still interested in putting them back to the original which, in my opinion, looks much much better.
Yep remember the thread(s) with those Dymags I Highly suggest getting a shop that does them right..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #12
-=Jeff=-

A Few CAC Dymag repair links:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/foru...+repair&page=2

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/foru...t=dymag+repair

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/foru...t=dymag+repair
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #13
RedSled

wow. Really like the darker colors on both.
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #14
LGAFF

The problem is the conversion coating that seals the magnesium. I have found a product that is used to seal military vehicles/planes(Prokote).... that is nontoxic and cost only $26 a quart. Most of the magnesium fear is BS in that the alloy mixes used in the 90's and on is not the same stuff as in the 60s, etc. Magnesium is in fact know for corrosion resistence, just look at your flywheel cover on your Z.

The process is to strip, spray w/prokote....rinse with water and then primer within 24hrs.

powdercoating is difficult due to the gases released from the metal can cause bubbling.

LGAFF
92 ZR1

Last edited by LGAFF; 02-10-2008 at 11:04 AM.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #15
Aurora40

GM also uses magnesium in the structures of many FWD cars, the connecting beam behind the dash is magnesium on many of them. The steering wheel in my Aurora is magnesium, and appeared to be uncoated.

FWIW, I like the gunmetal. But they look good in silver too. Personally I don't like that the center cap doesn't match the wheel color. It might be hard to color the center cap though. The aftermarket center caps might be a better bet since the emblem can be removed (though the circle is under the finish).
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #16
petefias

Color of the wheel is a personal preference, go what you like. For me the dark grey wheel on a red car just looks like the wheels are dirty from brake dust.

On a Dymag wheel I would go back to the original color. The style of the wheel is enough of a statement.

Again, this is just a personal preference.
petefias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #17
Hammer

Talking Re: Dymags: which color

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefias
Color of the wheel is a personal preference, go what you like. For me the dark grey wheel on a red car just looks like the wheels are dirty from brake dust.

On a Dymag wheel I would go back to the original color. The style of the wheel is enough of a statement.

Again, this is just a personal preference.
Oh man, that's painful.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #18
Hammer

Talking Re: Dymags: which color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40
GM also uses magnesium in the structures of many FWD cars, the connecting beam behind the dash is magnesium on many of them. The steering wheel in my Aurora is magnesium, and appeared to be uncoated.

FWIW, I like the gunmetal. But they look good in silver too. Personally I don't like that the center cap doesn't match the wheel color. It might be hard to color the center cap though. The aftermarket center caps might be a better bet since the emblem can be removed (though the circle is under the finish).
Haven't paid much attention to that as the wheels came from Ry with them. You are right about the color though. I'll have to look into that. May be able to rattle can them closer than they are now.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #19
petefias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
Oh man, that's painful.
I have polished A-molds on a torch red car and after a track session they look very similar to your picture. As long as I don't touch it and the color is uniform it actually looks cool. It does have a darker shade on the lip than on the center of the wheel, though. Maybe I should just clearcoat it with the brake dust on to preserve that "racer's look".
petefias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #20
FU

I really like the color of those wheels !
FU is offline   Reply With Quote