ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-30-2020   #11
lfalzarano

Default Re: Tires for users of C6 18/19? wheels

If you live in a really cold climate for most of the year and want to drive your 18 and 19 C6 wheels, Michelin makes a Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. The downside is they only go up to 285's front and rear.
Old 11-30-2020   #12
Jagdpanzer

Yes, 285s up front

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020   #13
sleazy rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
My original Michelin Pilots Sports in 275 that came with the original wheels stuck out and rubbed on the inside of the fenders as well. Those tires timed out too. I ultimately removed the OEM front wheels and put on aftermarket GS fronts in the correct offset. No rubbing now.
H
i'm going thru the same problems myself after putting the brakes, wheels and tires off my 2007 z06 onto my 1991 zr-1. the 17" zr-1 wheel has an offset of 57 and the 18" 2007 z06 offset is 40 so i'm looking for a correct offset wheel that clears the z06 brakes. so far i have found the brand and style of wheel that i would like to put on the car and have contacted 4 venders to get a set made and they treat me like a red headed stepchild. no follow-up. i talked to the wheel manufacturer and they told me they can manufacture the wheel. venders tell me i have to go thru them to get the wheels made. who did you use to get your wheels?
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020   #14
XfireZ51

I don?t believe Hans has the 6 piston Z06 brakes up front. I do and am using the OEM Z06 wheels. With 285s up front, the Michelin PSS does stick out slightly. They have rubbed the inner wheel well just under the fender opening, however, the rubbing is so slight as to rub only the silver off the duct tape I put there to see how much rubbing was actually going on. I?m also using coilovers which are easy to adjust for clearance.
I?m considering the 275 Michelin PS4s up front to reduce the amount of shoulder that protrudes beyond the fender opening, however I can get 285s now as opposed to February. Having said that, its obviously nothing urgent this time of year. And the PS4s only go up to 325s for the rears, but I have read and heard good things about this successor to the PSS.

Just as a note, one of the things that helps in reducing the amount of tire protrusion is using two piece rotors rather than the stock rotor. Mine are Coleman IIRC, and the thickness of the hat is less than the Z06 rotor which allows the tire to tuck in further in the wheel well. And the two piece weighs 12# less per side than the stock rotors.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 12-20-2020 at 10:55 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020   #15
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider View Post
i'm going thru the same problems myself after putting the brakes, wheels and tires off my 2007 z06 onto my 1991 zr-1. the 17" zr-1 wheel has an offset of 57 and the 18" 2007 z06 offset is 40 so i'm looking for a correct offset wheel that clears the z06 brakes. so far i have found the brand and style of wheel that i would like to put on the car and have contacted 4 venders to get a set made and they treat me like a red headed stepchild. no follow-up. i talked to the wheel manufacturer and they told me they can manufacture the wheel. venders tell me i have to go thru them to get the wheels made. who did you use to get your wheels?
These...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333820631531
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 12-21-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020   #16
wfot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I don?t believe Hans has the 6 piston Z06 brakes up front. I do and am using the OEM Z06 wheels. With 285s up front, the Michelin PSS does stick out slightly. They have rubbed the inner wheel well just under the fender opening, however, the rubbing is so slight as to rub only the silver off the duct tape I put there to see how much rubbing was actually going on. I?m also using coilovers which are easy to adjust for clearance.
I?m considering the 275 Michelin PS4s up front to reduce the amount of shoulder that protrudes beyond the fender opening, however I can get 285s now as opposed to February. Having said that, its obviously nothing urgent this time of year. And the PS4s only go up to 325s for the rears, but I have read and heard good things about this successor to the PSS.

Just as a note, one of the things that helps in reducing the amount of tire protrusion is using two piece rotors rather than the stock rotor. Mine are Coleman IIRC, and the thickness of the hat is less than the Z06 rotor which allows the tire to tuck in further in the wheel well. And the two piece weighs 12# less per side than the stock rotors.

I have a very similar set up to yours, but no coil overs yet. I have been debating on the c6 z06 rims/tires for months now. can you or anyone post pictures of the end result of the install?

I have not heard that any of you posting here have used any type of wheel spacers, correct?

I was thinking of a set of gunmetal rims to offset the polo green.....
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020   #17
XfireZ51

The rears use an 18mm spacer w GM racing studs for extra length and strength.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 03-08-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2020   #18
wfot

looks good. any concerns about the rears flying off? lol

and I am fed up with the tires offered in 17 inch. what driving differences di you feel after the wheel/tire change?

better breaking? better ride? better cornering?

John
Old 12-21-2020   #19
XfireZ51

Jon,

I loved the Z06 wheels when Locobob posted pics of his ZR test fitting the wheels. I thought the C4 was made for those wheels IMO. Then when upgrading, the brakes looked pretty puny in comparison. So the fronts went on first, then rears after saving pennies for the Street Shop adapters. Finally, like you I wanted a wider choice of better rubber for the car. The Michelin PSS are so much better than the Nittos I had. Quieter, much better rain traction, much better balance.
No question the rear end is better planted. However, 4.10s and Pete?s work on porting/cams still allows me to break the 345s loose.
The C6Z brakes are amazing. Love them. Really confidence inspiring to know you can pretty much stop faster than just about anything else on the road.
Old 12-21-2020   #20
wfot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Jon,

I loved the Z06 wheels when Locobob posted pics of his ZR test fitting the wheels. I thought the C4 was made for those wheels IMO. Then when upgrading, the brakes looked pretty puny in comparison. So the fronts went on first, then rears after saving pennies for the Street Shop adapters. Finally, like you I wanted a wider choice of better rubber for the car. The Michelin PSS are so much better than the Nittos I had. Quieter, much better rain traction, much better balance.
No question the rear end is better planted. However, 4.10s and Pete?s work on porting/cams still allows me to break the 345s loose.
The C6Z brakes are amazing. Love them. Really confidence inspiring to know you can pretty much stop faster than just about anything else on the road.

thank you for the insight. I realized a few months ago I found the factory 17 inch wheel/tire grip limit in braking was about 1g. I got a very nice yesteryear LPE/BEAR brake front setup, 13.5 inch with breadbox size calipers. then could not get any factory size rotor to keep up and went with 12.88 wilwoods with the big calipers in the rear & a bias valve. It is outstanding and I was wondering why I could not get passed 1G and then I realized it is time for more grip. the 18/19 set up is what I will end up with I think and will allow a much better selection of tires.