ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-24-2014   #11
alwayscode390

Default Re: I think I lost my alternator today, or its real close to crapping out. Belt #?

I ordered the PowerMaster 200amp natural version ... their application page said it was good for our zr-1's ... its the cs144 case , but I don't know the difference between the two versions. I hope its the right one! Thanks Jeff ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #12
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: I think I lost my alternator today, or its real close to crapping out. Belt #?

do you have a link to it?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #13
alwayscode390

Everyone just posts GENERIC pics of Alternators ... I am not sure this is what it will look like or not :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pw...k-lt5-corvette

CRAP! This Ebay auction calls it the "late model" (maybe their version is different? its $50 more than I paid)... should I call and cancel my order?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermaster-...2e76e0&vxp=mtr

Whats exactly the difference or where am I going to have installation issues? Powermaster, Summit, and this Ebay seller all say its compatible with the 90' ZR-1 though.

I don't have a garage to take off the OEM one and have it rebuilt, I need a new unit. The one Jerry's Gasket sells is only 124 amp for around $80 less than the PowerMaster 200 amp one, and its rebuilt ---

Last edited by alwayscode390; 06-24-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2014   #14
-=Jeff=-

The Late model case is a bit bigger (thicker), look at the rear bearing 'Cap' on the early model it is part of the case, late it is separate cap

Also the case is mainly thicker around the Stator.. I tried a later model, it will not fit without some grinding on the Casing ( I did not want to go that route)

Early:

Late:

1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 06-24-2014   #15
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
Everyone just posts GENERIC pics of Alternators ... I am not sure this is what it will look like or not :

CRAP! This Ebay auction calls it the "late model" (maybe their version is different? its $50 more than I paid)... should I call and cancel my order?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermaster-...2e76e0&vxp=mtr

Whats exactly the difference or where am I going to have installation issues? Powermaster, Summit, and this Ebay seller all say its compatible with the 90' ZR-1 though.

I don't have a garage to take off the OEM one and have it rebuilt, I need a new unit. The one Jerry's Gasket sells is only 124 amp for around $80 less than the PowerMaster 200 amp one, and its rebuilt ---
Use this 360* view and rotate it until you see the model # on the housing. I don't see any reason for concern. There's way to much conjecture over early and late, very early 90's had one alternator later ones had another (that's early vs. late), the service alternator became "one" and then all through production they remained the same.

Stop the view several times and inspect the build. I see no obvious issues!

-=JEFF=- and I appear to have hit the button at the same time and the CS144 he's posted images of can't be used when discussing early and late regarding the LT5 alternator. I believe the only difference in the early and late LT5 alternator is the rectifier bridge. I believe the balance of the builds were identical.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-24-2014 at 04:09 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #16
alwayscode390

WOW, I never noticed the 360 view option , they must take pics of the actual item then.

The picture Summit posted looks like the "early" style case that can be used.

Thank you both for clearing that up for me , I was concerned for a second , HA! -

Whats the deal with the solid plate over the alternator fan blades? They look to be separate, or is it one piece? Should I swap the OEM fanblade over if I'm going to swap the pulley (open blades) ... or leave the PowerMaster solid style blade on if the pulley is the right size (not worth the hassle)? ---

Last edited by alwayscode390; 06-24-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2014   #17
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Use this 360* view and rotate it until you see the model # on the housing. I don't see any reason for concern. There's way to much conjecture over early and late, very early 90's had one alternator later ones had another (that's early vs. late), the service alternator became "one" and then all through production they remained the same.

Stop the view several times and inspect the build. I see no obvious issues!

-=JEFF=- and I appear to have hit the button at the same time and the CS144 he's posted images of can't be used when discussing early and late regarding the LT5 alternator. I believe the only difference in the early and late LT5 alternator is the rectifier bridge. I believe the balance of the builds were identical.
Yes.. you are right.. I was referring to early vs late as a populous, not LT5 specific.. the upgraded Rectifier I believe is in all Early style Alternators now
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 06-24-2014   #18
4-cam

I brought mine to a local auto electric shop. One day and $75 later I had a new bearings, brushes and rectifier and the original case that I knew fit. You might look around and see if a shop is near by.
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #19
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post

Do you guys recommend I just take off the throttle body forward, or loosen the plenum/pull it off? Someone mentioned both things to me. Seems like its going to be the most pain in the butt alternator swap I have done?
I would recommend removal/loosening of the plenum. I know taking it out the front is possible but reaching a couple of those bolts are a PITA and the plenum cap screws are a piece of cake. Be sure to have a plenum gasket set on hand in case you can't reuse yours.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #20
alwayscode390

Fantastic tip about the gaskets, thanks David! ---