ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-25-2014   #11
tpr60

Default Re: Speed sensor cause this?

A good smog tech in Calif. would of caught the no CEL and not passed the visual inspection test. Don't know how it is in Texas. If you find the bulb is good its time to follow the trouble tree in the FSM, I believe its in section 8a index.
tpr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #12
PhillipsLT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LantanaTX View Post
I did some searching and was wondering if a bad/weak speed sensor could cause, inconsistent idle down when at a stop, no cruise control and inconsistent opening of the secondaries?

When I come to a stop the engine most of the time remains at a high idle but usually finally drops while sitting at a stop light.

secondaries don't seem to always be opening. I have good vacuum.

cruise control doesn't do anything at all. fuse is good.

does the speed sensor throw a code?

What code reader do you recommend? any OBD-1 work? If I use the paperclip method. is the flashing in the LCD disaplay or the check engine light. I also need to figure out why my check engine light does not work. Could it have been disabled somehow? When I turn the key to the on position it does not light up on the information panel.

Thanks for the help guys!
Do not know about secondaries as they are gone but no cruise control & idle issue, yep speed sensor shot
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #13
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Do not know about secondaries as they are gone but no cruise control & idle issue, yep speed sensor shot
Thanks, I read a thread where I think they found a faulty speed sensor, screwed up idle, stopped the cruise and secondaries from working. I will get on the check engine light fix. The smog tech didn't catch it thankfully! Since they didn't move the car during the smog test, the speed sensor works great when not moving! They did drive it around the building to check brakes etc. This is probably the first thread where no check engine light is a problem!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 #0663
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #14
PhillipsLT5

Bill B was laughing that I blew speed sensor at Mojave 1.5 mile, I went too fast for it to handle LOL
Old 04-25-2014   #15
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Bill B was laughing that I blew speed sensor at Mojave 1.5 mile, I went too fast for it to handle LOL

Well once you went past 88 Miles per hr there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0kswK2aI08
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 04-25-2014 at 06:19 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #16
PhillipsLT5

Thats a good 1, it was the 181.3 MPH pass, Bill & Greg loved it that that blew it out, I went too fast for it to handle, Life begins at 180 except for speed sensor
Old 04-25-2014   #17
LantanaTX

Quote:
Thats a good 1, it was the 181.3 MPH pass, Bill & Greg loved it that that blew it out, I went too fast for it to handle, Life begins at 180 except for speed sensor
That is pretty FUNNY. If you are going to blow something at 181mph, best to be the speed sensor!

Update: Been working on the car this afternoon and found some bulbs had been removed. Luckily the missing bulbs were sitting below the information panel behind the bezel. I used a flash light to see which of empty holes had something to display and needed a bulb. The check engine light now works as well as the service suspension light. The weird thing now is that the suspension now adjusts! finally a good firm ride.

The check engine light stays on but now I can get the codes. The low coolant light is also on but not low on coolant.

As soon as I started driving it the check suspension light went out and adjusted properly.

There is one more light on but my bad eyes had a hard time reading it. Looked like NFL RIEST??? What does this mean? I don't have an owners manual and my FSM is missing the first few pages (table of contents) and the last few pages of the index. Makes looking things up really challenging!
Old 04-25-2014   #18
tpr60

INFL REIST is the air bag system not working. I think, if I remember correct that some systems will not function if that light shows a code,[ie: cruise control]. 90's had a service builetin about bad frame grounds at the sensors, think 91's had a updated system. Try disconnecting the ground side of the battery for 15+ seconds to clear some codes. See what comes back as a hard code. Then use the trouble tree for that code to attempt a repair.
tpr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #19
Racinfan83

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I'm thinkin Marc told me another cause of high idle is a clogged MAP sensor hose? As in if there is a sag or low spot in the hose the oil can collect there and block it? I know he changed the one on mine and told me that was an issue with these cars...
I CAN tell you that mine idled way high and slowly worked it's way down when you stopped at a light before I had Marc work on it. He changed injectors, coils, MAP hose, fixed one of the secondary actuators, and fixed a few vac hoses. I also had him put his chip in it... Idles like a champ now!
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #20
LantanaTX

I pulled the stored codes and Have:

14 and 66

Is this coolant low and a/c low pressure?

My low coolant light is on (Will have to check wiring and sensor) and my a/c system is empty but will convert to R134 as soon as I locate the orifice and replace with a variable orifice.

Also would like to get that INFL REIST light off.