ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-14-2014   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: Long cranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations View Post
That was a well thought out modification to a repeatable issue....quarters kept falling all over my inner console area. Needed something to put them in. I like to think I'm a trend setter.
I removed the ash tray and just put the quarters in that rubber liner thingy. Did you put something under the flip top lid to hold quarters?

I use quarters LOTS.....carwash and Cappuccino at local Shell Station takes 8 quarters....exactly

What I over pay in gas I spend on Cappuccino.....did I just say that nonsense

On the start issue of 3 seconds......I prefer a little lag in starting to get some oil pumping at starter rpm before it reves up after started if I have a foot on it.....a better chance to pump up them Chain Tensioners and Lifters that have leaked down
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #12
Blue Flame Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I removed the ash tray and just put the quarters in that rubber liner thingy. Did you put something under the flip top lid to hold quarters?

I use quarters LOTS.....carwash and Cappuccino at local Shell Station takes 8 quarters....exactly

What I over pay in gas I spend on Cappuccino.....did I just say that nonsense

On the start issue of 3 seconds......I prefer a little lag in starting to get some oil pumping at starter rpm before it reves up after started if I have a foot on it.....a better chance to pump up them Chain Tensioners and Lifters that have leaked down
The rubber liner thingy is now sitting under the console lid, safe and sound.....full of quarters
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #13
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Up to 3 seconds on my 90 as well, but tends to be shorter on a hot start. However, I'm in the habit of turning the key ON and listing to the fuel pumps settle before rolling the starter. It, seems to make a difference by maybe a second or so after sitting for a few days.

I read in one of my tech reference manuals that quick starts was one of the goals engineered into the Opti-Spark distributor on the LT1/4 motors. Anywayz, I mention that because that was one of the first things I noticed about my Z was the longer cranking time than my 95 LT1 Vette had. The 95 LT1 with its Opti would reliably fire practically instantly: hot or cold-COLD - it didn't usually matter!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #14
Blue Flame Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Up to 3 seconds on my 90 as well, but tends to be shorter on a hot start. However, I'm in the habit of turning the key ON and listing to the fuel pumps settle before rolling the starter. It, seems to make a difference by maybe a second or so after sitting for a few days.

I read in one of my tech reference manuals that quick starts was one of the goals engineered into the Opti-Spark distributor on the LT1/4 motors. Anywayz, I mention that because that was one of the first things I noticed about my Z was the longer cranking time than my 95 LT1 Vette had. The 95 LT1 with its Opti would reliably fire practically instantly: hot or cold-COLD - it didn't usually matter!
I agree. I always let the pumps run prior to starting.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #15
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
It has to find #1 before it starts
Where's Steve here - is this something that's coded into the ECM? Can you explain this a little more in depth?

This is pretty interesting here...

Does Marc's code over-write for hard hot re-starts have anything to do with the 'find #1 before starting' code?

Mine is the first fuel injected car I've ever owned, that didn't start immediately. I usually keep them tuned well, and mine is pretty cleaned up now (32k), and does start marginally faster with Marc's Memory / Calibration Module here...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 01-15-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #16
Mystic ZR-1

That "rubber liner thingy"? I've had 3 C4s 2
from new and didn't have one? Do the later cars,
91 on, have them? Often wondered what to do with my quarters...
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #17
We Gone

My statement is a very abbreviated, It refuses section in the FSM 6E3-A-22 thru 29 and 6E3-A-52 & 53 basically when cranking the ECM must see the Camshaft sensor at #1 before it starts. I could be wrong but that's how I read it.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #18
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
My statement is a very abbreviated, It refuses section in the FSM 6E3-A-22 thru 29 and 6E3-A-52 & 53 basically when cranking the ECM must see the Camshaft sensor at #1 before it starts. I could be wrong but that's how I read it.
Thanks! You know more than I do here, and I'd sure like to learn more on it...

Looks like book time. Again. Still. Forever...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #19
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
I do not know if the Rubber Liner Thingys are stock or not....but.....you can get them on Ebay....but it will cost you 64 quarters

Rubber Liner Thingy on Ebay

I kind of like to spin the crankshaft with the starter a bit as the oil circulates just a tad before it revs up.....I forget exactly when the oil pressure starts showing on the gage but I think I recall oil pressure showing a tad when doing a compression test after a few crankshaft revolutions.....

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-15-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #20
We Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Mid America also has them

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...ction-603188-1

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote