ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-09-2013   #11
Bob Elsdon

Default Re: ZR-1 without LTPWS?

I have a 90 black on black that I bought new in Vancouver, BC. I didn't come with low tire pressure warning and also has no bulbs in the dash. I did come with ONE wheel sensor that we found when I changed wheels.
Regards,
Bob
Bob Elsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #12
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Elsdon View Post
I have a 90 black on black that I bought new in Vancouver, BC. I didn't come with low tire pressure warning and also has no bulbs in the dash. I did come with ONE wheel sensor that we found when I changed wheels.
Regards,
Bob
Bob,

Many times owners take out the bulb so there is no warning signal "if" they break a sensor. I ended up pulling my bulbs, but there are some that love having them on as security.

There are many posts about sensors (why to have them and why they aren't needed / unsafe).

Welcome to the Club!!!! Tell us about your new Z and love to see pictures!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #13
tomtom72

The Canadian export cars did not have a LTPWS as there was an issue with the frequency or something like that....anyway no Canadian export cars have the LTPWS.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #14
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelz View Post
Just a thought: The change in Sensors, Different Module Part# starting in 1993. 1993 and later Canadian Export ZR-1's equipped with LTPWS. Someone mentioned RF problems. I wonder if the change in '93 was not just a sensor upgrade, but an RF one as well to meet Canadian requirements. Enquiring minds want to know.
Rich
That's a real good question. Could it be that LTPWS exports to C were a no no for radiation issues until 93 ? There is a bell that is ringing in my head. One would have to confirm with one of the "elder" members like Hib or Dave Hill or Killebrew or jvd or ???

I am very interested in anything you learn about the new aftermarket tire pressure systems for my other cars. Please post info if you go that way.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #15
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
The Canadian export cars did not have a LTPWS as there was an issue with the frequency or something like that....anyway no Canadian export cars have the LTPWS.

Tom
I don't believe "ALL" fits here. I believe when the LTPWS was changed in '93 it was part of the "total" package and shipped everywhere. I don't have a Canadian VIN to confirm but if someone offers up a Z49 '93MY or later I'd be happy to confirm.

I just checked '95MY #002 that I recall being a Z49 build from a while back and yes it carries the RPO UJ6 so I'd assume the '93+ builds do also.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #16
alwayscode390

Thanks for posting the option code.

My 90' has the Check LTPWS light come on when I start the car, then turn off after the diagnostic testing.

I just went to the tire shop to get the sensors swapped on a new set of wheels ... they said I have valve mount sensors and I should have wheel mount sensors.

Wondering if there is something going on there ... can you "tune" it out of the system ... or make tire mounted sensors read the stock system?

They were just going to remount them anyway since I am not throwing a code, but I wanted to see what was the deal.

Thanks ---

BTW , how much is the paperwork from the CORVETTE MUSEUM on our cars? ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #17
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
...snip...

I just went to the tire shop to get the sensors swapped on a new set of wheels ... they said I have valve mount sensors and I should have wheel mount sensors.

Wondering if there is something going on there ... can you "tune" it out of the system ... or make tire mounted sensors read the stock system?

....snip...
I'm not aware of any stem mounted systems the work with the stock LTPWS. You don't have a remote after market readout somewhere? Can you contact the previous owner?

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #18
alwayscode390

Thanks Scott ... I called him the other day after hearing this , and he said he didn't do anything to the system ... he never threw codes.

Im questioning him on this, because these are not the wheels he had on the car when he bought it (or the tires that were on these a-molds when he first mounted them ... he had BFG's, now they are new Summitomos) ... so he atleast has to know if he swapped the sensors over or not.

Im not too worried about it , but it does seem weird ---
Old 01-09-2013   #19
WVZR-1

I've never heard that it's been accomplished but it's been discussed a few times. Is it possible? Judging from your comments it's likely. If the tire/wheel is still broken down get the information off of the valve stem mounted sensors they say are present and post that. I should be able to ID them and see what's been done. It sounds quite preposterous but then again!

If the tire/wheel is still assembled lower the tire pressure dramatically in a wheel and drive the car to see if you get the light. I don't believe it would be possible with later sensors to replicate a factory type warning.

I remember reading a procedure to change the frequency of an incorrect band sensor to be used on a different location if the correct sensor couldn't be found so anything is likely possible.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #20
alwayscode390

Sounds like a good idea, I will ask the shop to write down any numbers they see while swapping the stuff over ... thanks for that ---