ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-28-2011   #11
Corvettes White

Default Re: The phoenix rising

Please give us more details on the paint, and if it was baked. If is a stock VHT color. I want to paint the intake on a 1999 corvette and have been looking for such a color.

PS I am Greek and know **** about colors, but those covers look absolutely stunning!.

Thanks in advance, George
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #12
tomtom72

Holy smokes....let me understand this process. The top coat is wrinkle textured header paint(?) over a textured base coat as in base coat/clear coat paint?

....my 88 bird had a textured chip resistant base color coat that had "wrinkles" in it if you had the angle & light just right. You should have seen my face when my bro had it up on the lift in his Ford dealership and I saw the paint...I nearly fainted. The look on my face said it all. He turned to me & said.." that's Ford's idea of how to keep the road rash off the lower body panels, pretty neat, bet you never saw it till now?" It was below the body side molding all around the car.

You guys in the FBI are one hooked up group! More power to you guys!

almost makes me want to start looking for work out that way....either there or somewhere near the WAZOO crew! The only other people that I know that own C4's & live near me are a girl and another guy and they both come to me for help!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #13
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettes White View Post
Please give us more details on the paint, and if it was baked. If is a stock VHT color. I want to paint the intake on a 1999 corvette and have been looking for such a color.

PS I am Greek and know **** about colors, but those covers look absolutely stunning!.

Thanks in advance, George

George,

Thank you for the compliment. I'm pleasantly surprised at the reaction here. Again, Chris at BNC Auto can give you a better rundown but
first there is an enamel base coat. Then the next is a matte black textured coat which is actually the paint uses for truck bedliners.
This provides the textured look. With that you are able to get the textured crinkle look in just about any color you want. The red I used came from a rattle can of VHT hi temp crinkle paint available from Summit. Chris tried this first and found that the crinkle was spotty and uneven at best. So he started looking for another way to get that textured look. This was all paint and no baking was involved.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011   #14
IowaZR-1

Another Black Rose with a unique engine finish!! Can't wait to see the total package!
IowaZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011   #15
FU

Thumbs up Re: The phoenix rising

L00k's real nice. Another thumb's up for the wrinkle finish and the color
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #16
Corvettes White

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
George,

Thank you for the compliment. I'm pleasantly surprised at the reaction here. Again, Chris at BNC Auto can give you a better rundown but
first there is an enamel base coat. Then the next is a matte black textured coat which is actually the paint uses for truck bedliners.
This provides the textured look. With that you are able to get the textured crinkle look in just about any color you want. The red I used came from a rattle can of VHT hi temp crinkle paint available from Summit. Chris tried this first and found that the crinkle was spotty and uneven at best. So he started looking for another way to get that textured look. This was all paint and no baking was involved.
Thanks, I am going to give this a try then. George
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #17
XfireZ51

Here's a shot with the motor coming together at Pete's. BTW, snow is starting to hit. We put coam covers and injector housings on tonight. We are going to do a steering column swap, clutch master/slave cylinder, and gauge cluster. Then motor is ready to pop in.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 02-01-2011 at 12:45 AM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #18
Pete

Looking good Dom

Did you get my emails.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #19
tf95ZR1

Nice unique scheme- very individual.
Custom definitely stands out.
And Great Color!
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #20
tomtom72

ooh, ooh, a look see into the Skunk Works!

Can't tell much from the spy photos, darn! all the ports are covered up with NASCAR tape!

Lookin' great Dom!!!!!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote