ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: R U a WAXER or R U a WARRIOR??
I never race. The car seldom sees 6000 rpm; 6500 max 12 25.00%
I seldom go much over 6500, almost never hit the limiter 13 27.08%
Mine gets to 7000 rpm often some limited track time 16 33.33%
Often hammer mine: well above 7200 rpm (cut-off moved to 7600+ 7 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2013   #11
rhipsher

Default Re: Waxer or Warrior: POLL

Waxers are beautiful people and want to preserve their gem and keep it in the best possible shape for future investment purposes. What's not to like about that? I'm just a test the limits guy. I've done that with everything fast thing I've ever had. From Rice rockets to cars. I'f I had Franks LPE 441 I would have already topped that mofo out to the limit on some road and made a vid of me doing it. Why? Because I'm freaking nuts that's all lol!
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #12
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmyz View Post
Just a sidenote to those that don't "wind up" their cars for fear of abusing them...Even when comparing the LT5 to the newer Vettes with higher HP ratings, I think the LT5 is far closer to an out and out "race motor". Especially as durability is concerned.
Not to sidetrack this thread, but I just remembered a story I have to share. I remember years ago, some crazy cockamamie story I heard (maybe on here) about legendary Corvette endurance racer Tommy Morrison. Not remembering all the details, but it went something like this... during one of their races, one of their modified LT5's had some sort of failure...(at least of something that wasn't going to allow them to finish the race with that motor).

Well, one of the members of Tommy's crew had a ZR-1 that he drove to the race. The story goes that they quickly pulled the motor from the street driven car, put it in the race car and finished the race. When done, they put the motor back in the street ZR-1, and the owner happily drove home.

---

Well. I was at the 2010 Gathering and got to spend some cool quality time hanging out and talking to Tommy Morrison (and Yvette!). I can't remember all the details, but yep, Tommy confirmed it and got a big smile on his face when talking about it!
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #13
edram454

yeah, waxer warrior. that is a good combination. I would not like to beat the snot out of my zr1 just for kicks every time. I have yet to bring it to 6k rpm. I did find it lacking low end torque when I first drove it. I needed to learn to bring up the rpms which is where the power it. I love driving it. I feel that I am driving something special. It does have more of a race car feel even with less power. when it climbs up in rpm it just wants to take off kaboom! Great fun and love the smooth 6 speed. I just bought hub centric spacers for my deep dish amolds so I expect a mean look out the back. I didint realize that nobody made deep dish amolds in our 36mm offset. that was verified by the distributors that make all the aftermarket oem rims. I will try to post a pic once the spacers are installed. I am slowly getting my car in show car shape. I had some imperfect leather restitched and the trim shop.. looks excellent. I need to clean under the car, retorque some bolts etc... and change oil.. got the 10w40 mobil extended miles oil with the heavy zinc inside. I noticed that when I put a heavier grade synthetic the smoke from the lack of the exhaust valve seals went away. no smoke at all. One of our members suggested it also living in south florida and the heat I need some viscosity in my oil. so far so good. Waxer Warrior is my proper definition for a guy like me.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #14
8cam

7000rpm soothes the soul. If you drive a normal car and feel how it just poops out by 6k and you realize there's no point in revs, you might think that's how engines work.

But then you drive an engine that's made to rev, that pulls harder and harder the higher you go, that feels like it wants to spin to the moon.... You guys who haven't pushed it yet, try it. Just once. I guarantee it won't be the last.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #15
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Well, I'll fess up to the slant toward Warrior at the expense of Waxers. NO ill will intended, and in true hypocritical form, when at WOT and 7200+, I'm doin' it it in a Z with so many coats of Zaino that I've lost count!

I admit, I'm both WAXER N WARRIOR. I mean really...What better way to experience the ZR-1 than a 5-2 @ 50 and hammer it to blow the smirk off the faces of the would be bad azzes, AND look GOOD while doing it??

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #16
MickeyD

I'm a committed waxer. I doesn't matter which one you are, we have these cars because they are special whichever way you go with them. As was said in an old forum, "We like having things other people can't have." Performance or looks.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #17
JFFerner

Mine usually gets a little exercise every time she's out of the garage. She's gone to the drags and the road course at Summit Point a few times. One great pleasure was passing a friend's turbo Porsche on the 2900 foot straightaway. I didn't have the skill to maintain the lead through the curves, but I sure gave him hell. By the way, I think she'd be even faster if I reduced her weight by not waxing her so often.
JFFerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #18
Blue Flame Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Need one more Mine hits 7K every-time I drive it no track time.

Me too.....
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #19
rhipsher

Paul I think a nicely waxed and polished Z is a little faster.
Funny waxer story. I remember years ago I woke up at 5:30am to clean and wax my Z. And and polish the interior to go to the Hooters corvette show here in town. I spent hours on that car. So I take off to head to the show to put it on display and as I'm sitting at the stop light I look up through the clear roof and above me sitting on the telephone line is a big black bird. So he decides to crap and I'm watching in slow motion as its heading right at the top of my car and I'm say ing Noooooooooo! But when it hit my roof I had waxed it so good it was like non stick coating and that big turd hit like a sunny side up fried egg and just bounced off on to the street surface and didn't leave so much as a poop drop anywhere. I just laughed. It was just to cool.

Last edited by rhipsher; 12-12-2013 at 01:10 PM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #20
Mystic ZR-1

Good thing you didn't have the roof panel off!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote