ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-27-2020   #11
Ccmano

Default Re: LT-5 motor issue

Lastest word on Cory Henderson is that they will build LT5 project cars but will not do maintenance or repair work on anything other than the cars they build. (Hope I'm wrong about that) Crossed Flags in Magnolia is probably your best bet.
If you don't have the skills to work on the car yourself, Steve at Crossed Flags can get you fixed up. It might be worthwhile giving him a call.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Injector housing bolts loose or gasket failure can pull coolant into the intake tract.
DITTOS on the IH bolts, AND the plenum bolts too!

Blue "Loctite" will be your friend on ALL the bolts under the plenum & the plenum itself, along with gaskets from Jerry's Gaskets (was the cure to my leaking issue when I first started driving my Z. Never a problem since in 40k miles!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020   #13
JimBobTX

I will certainly give Steve a call this morning to see if he can have a look at the car. If he can I will have it towed there. I don't wish to cause any further problems with the car. I have, or did have, the skills to work on most auto issues on pre '72 cars, at least those without emissions and computer parts, but at my age I guess I will just have to rely on others to help with the more modern cars. At 73 there is still a lot of general repair/maintenance work I can do but I will leave the heavier work to someone who really knows what he is doing. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions from all of you. Thanks.
JimBobTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020   #14
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Certainly agree on taking it to Steve!!!

Although, did you check to see if your coolant level was low, or lower since the last time you checked?

Was your last fill up for fuel from the same (trusted?) place you have been using?
Did it begin soon after last fill up?

Was the car outside in the rain or was it washed?
If either, check to see that the fuel boot drain is clear.

The Flywheel will make noise with even minimal performance degradation.

It would be very helpful to know if the coolant level has or has not dropped.

Often, it is the simple things rather than mechanical failure, particularly on an LT-5 engine.
While you cannot rule out coolant, I have had a number of supposed coolant leak complaints that were either excessive condensation burn off, or water contaminated fuel.

Always good to start checking the simple and obvious first, before proceeding to the less common ones, although the aforementioned IH or bolt / gasket leaks are good culprits if it is ingesting coolant.

Keep us posted.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020   #15
wfot

were the injectors changed? I am aware the white smoke is not direct relation to the injectors, but if someone is going to pull the plenum......

John

I say this because the 90 - 92 injectors are known to fail due to the internal orings breaking down and the injector failing. no offense, not sure how aware you are of this issue...
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020   #16
JimBobTX

coolant level is on low side but there is still some in the reservoir and I have gotten the fuel from the same place each time and only run ethanol free in it. I have never put a hose to the car, I always wash by hand with a hand duster and sprayer and soft cloths and it has never been parked outside since I have owned it.

Tje Plenum was removed two years ago to have new injectors installed. This was done at Corvette World here in Houston. I had a power problem when I bought the car and the work that they did at Corvette World did not fix the problem but what is happening now is different and yet may be a result of. poor work done at that time since I have not really driven the car very much since then.

I have put a call into Steve Schroder and left him a message, hopefully I will hear back from him today to discuss the problem.

Thanks again ro all for your suggestions, comments and recommendations.
Old 12-28-2020   #17
JimBobTX

Thanks again to all. Steve Schroder has agreed to have a look at it. I really appreciate the contact.
Old 12-28-2020   #18
jss06c6

Jim,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd be very happy to help you! The LT-4 we spoke about won't be here until the 8th or 9th. I'll drop you a text so we can get your ZR-1 up here and get her breathing on all 8 cylinders and all 16 injectors!

Steve Schroder

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021   #19
ZR2

Sounds like a coolant leak in the plenum. It would not cause the oil to get milky as if it were a warped or blown head gasket. I know my 1st time taking the plenum off a previous ZR1 I owned to replace injectors I did it 3 times before perfection!! Once was a coolant leak issue with much white smoke and another was a vacuum leak with no coolant leak but an idle of 1800 rpms and then the 3rd time......the charm. I would be surprised if the injectors had not been replaced on your car, but your lack of power description is what mine felt like when th injectors were not working and went bad in my 91 ZR1 I had.
ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021   #20
ZR2

Didn't see the post that said the injectors were replaced 2 years ago?????
ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote