ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-28-2018   #11
t3404eo

Default Re: Scariest ZR-1 risks

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1990 View Post
You indicate that you are not interested in a trailer queen, but you are going to buy one?

My biggest concern is that you will pay a premium for a 600 mile car, then by the time you get it home, you will have a car worth half of what you paid for it.

If that is okay with you, buy it and drive away.
Actually the price is right. I'd buy it to drive it anyway. I'm just not totally sold on hitting the road for a 2k plus drive quite yet. I bought a 73 Mercedes SL and immediately hit the road for a 2k drive without an issue. Also did it with an 86 Mercedes E-class and while I made it home, it did blow the head gasket literally 50 miles out.
t3404eo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #12
t3404eo

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
There is always maintenance.
Don't forget, you're going to read about every problem here.
I'd be worried about injectors and tires also.
Will you have access to the forum while on the road? -Steve
Oh, for sure I'll be connected all the way!
t3404eo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #13
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
make that 28 year old gatorbacks!
Bad math...
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #14
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3404eo View Post
Oh, for sure I'll be connected all the way!
Reach out if there are any issues.
Where is the car coming from?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #15
DRM500RUBYZR-1

We have "awakened" quite a few long slumbering ZR-1's.

My single biggest concern is the amount of rust found in ALL of the fuel tanks of low mile moth balled cars.
Pumps, sender, filter and flush are essential, but if the tank was not fully cleansed of the 2 cups of rust that inhabit the bottom then your ride could be short lived.

1990 Fuel Injectors are intolerant of today's alcohol.
However if as you say it is running "good" then you may make it home and can deal with their replacement at that point, but they do need to be replaced.

Coolant? I would check it carefully

Clutch fluid, see that is changed before you go, or you will not get very far.

Brake Fluid!!!! Make sure it is not mud.

Look at the oil, and if you are not certain when it was changed, change it!
Change it again once home.

Feel free to drive on the original tires, however jumping off of a cliff would be even more expedient. Clear?

Is it an early 90?
Do records show any cam tensioner replacement?
If yes and no, then I would be careful.
Re- awakened LT-5's will have lifters that continue to leak down for a few run in hours after coming back to life.
90 early cam tensioners will make quite a racket, especially on one side.
Those noises will startle you!
If the injectors begin to degrade during your trip, and missing occurs,the noise from the dual mass flywheel will drown out the cam and lifter noises and might cause you to soil the seats a bit.

If the car had 2500-5000 miles, I would have far less concerns for a 2000 maiden to you voyage.

A car with only a few hundred?
I would suggest a less rigorous introduction.
But if you handle the above, and the car truly is running good, then have at it, but be very vigilant, remembering that all the hoses, belt, seals etc. are nearing 30 years of age.

A few 50 mile jaunts, then a few hundred, will reveal the real answer.
I would not want to have" Get there-itis" in such a car, but if you have plenty of time and keep an eye on all, again given the above, it would be a great way to come up with a get-ready punch list, and to get to know your new car.

Marty

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 01-28-2018 at 05:33 PM.
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #16
Young1

Flush clutch and brake fluid. Flush coolant replace with green. Replace tires. (I can't drive 55) . Replace fuel filter and have a spare. Make sure trans. Diff and engine oils are full. Do some hard stops to set brakes and verify abs is working. If accessory belt shows cracking replace it. Part of the adventure is getting it ready. The rest is doing the trip. If the injectors go that bad and that is an if. Rent a u haul and a trailer and bring it home the rest of the way. There is always a way. See the USA in your Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #17
Kevin

My advice, don't do it. It's a nearly 30 year old car with no miles. Cars hate to sit. Seals are going to be bad, injectors are going to be shot, depending on how full the tank is the pumps will be bad and there will be rust in the tank. This isn't the car to do a 2000 mile road trip in.
Old 01-28-2018   #18
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
My advice, don't do it. It's a nearly 30 year old car with no miles. Cars hate to sit. Seals are going to be bad, injectors are going to be shot, depending on how full the tank is the pumps will be bad and there will be rust in the tank. This isn't the car to do a 2000 mile road trip in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3404eo View Post
I'm close to purchasing a 90 Z with 600 miles and since I'm not interested in owing a trailer queen, I'm thinking of driving it home (2200 miles) for the joy of seeing the USA in my Chevrolet. It's had a battery and the fuel pumps replaced including a flush of the fuel tank and I'm told it "runs great". What are the scariest issues I might face if I attempted to drive it home vs. shipping?
When did the car get 600 miles? Recently or years ago....how many miles recently?

If car runs great I doubt any of the issues mentioned will all of a sudden pop up on a 2,200 mile trip. I would change the oil and check Trans and Diff Fluid before I ran it (actually I would change all three fluids as those fluids may be 27 years old). I would also install a new fuel filter and oil filter.

Then I would take it for a 25 mile short trip to see if the temperature stabilizes in the normal range........then the 2,200 mile trip. Do not go overboard on the throttle until you get some new tires. Have Fun

LT5/ZR-1 Fluids

I concur with Young1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young1 View Post
Flush clutch and brake fluid. Flush coolant replace with green. Replace tires. (I can't drive 55) . Replace fuel filter and have a spare. Make sure trans. Diff and engine oils are full. Do some hard stops to set brakes and verify abs is working. If accessory belt shows cracking replace it. Part of the adventure is getting it ready. The rest is doing the trip. If the injectors go that bad and that is an if. Rent a u haul and a trailer and bring it home the rest of the way. There is always a way. See the USA in your Chevrolet

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-29-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #19
Z51JEFF

You are a far braver man than I am,I wouldn’t consider driving any new to me car that distance. Pay the cash and have it trailered home. Hats off to you for your intended purpose with the car,I’d do the same thing,DRIVE IT!

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 01-30-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #20
rush91

Tires......I WOULD NOT drive that car on it's original tires, over 2500 miles!! The new battery and fuel pumps are a start, but if you are going to drive it home, please buy new tires for her.....too many unforseen issues that can arise there. These Z's are very bullet proof IF maintained. Like others said, no car does good sitting for such a long time. I wouldn't be scared to drive it so far home, because the members here will help you in any way with advice or help.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote