ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-17-2015   #11
5ABI VT

Default Re: Oil leaked on me twice on the valve cover passenger side near oil fill cap. PIC>

Ok so I tried pulling the o ring and no flex at all.. Cracked and sure enough it's almost rock hard. I'll head to the local auto specialty store tomorrow to see if they have an o ring similar to this one. When I screw the cap on without the o ring it jiggles the same way with it on.

Here's a closer pic of where the vent tube goes into the cover .. Pretty oil free to me ?
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #12
Dynomite

Default Re: Oil leaked on me twice on the valve cover passenger side near oil fill cap. PIC>

There are several of us that have the stock Oil Caps sitting on the shelf or somewhere that have been replaced by the Billet Aluminum Oil Cap. I can check my shelf to see where the stock Oil Caps are sitting as you like (90' and 91' Oil Caps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
True Cliff, but it would not have gotten over by the cam cover bolt and into the spark plug valley. You can also see some seepage right by the vent tube as it enters the cam cover.
Something is causing a pressurization of the crankcase and I don't think it's the oil cap.
Windage from radiator fans could push the oil rearward on the Cam Covers.
Piston Blow by is causing pressurization of the crankcase and the Cam Covers are vented to reduce condensation through the Air Horn which is normal.

A clogged PCV system could cause Oil leaks in lots of places including the Oil Pan and Cam Covers and the Cam Cover Vent as you describe. His Oil Catch Can could even be clogged up reducing the Positive Crankcase Ventilation through the Plenum Vacuum.

Or....maybe oil was spilled during the topping off of Engine Oil

We shall see and a different Oil Cap might work and it might not work but removing the Cam Covers with engine in car is NOT fun. But the saving grace with this LT5 is that the Cam Covers have already been removed once with NEW SS Allen Head Cam Cover Bolts which would make it pretty easy to remove Cam Covers with Engine In Car to replace the Cam Cover Vent Filters.

Marc Haibeck Cam Cover Vent Filters
Jerry's Cam Cover Vent Filters

For others watching....Jerry has the SS Allen Head Cam Cover Bolts as well as other SS Allen Head Bolts for other LT5 components.

Jerry also has New and Used Oil Fill Caps of which the 90'-92' are different than the 93'-95'.

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-17-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #13
XfireZ51

In one of the times I did an upgrade on my motor, I used ScotchBrite as a filtering material for the cam cover vent tubes. Shortly after I began smelling oil burn whenever I went WOT. Also had a small oil leak that seemed to be coming from front right hand corner of motor. Had oil pooling on cam cover in very much same manner that you see in the pics above. I was able to remove the passenger side cam cover and replace only the ScotchBrite material in that cover and that seemed to be enough to stop the leaking. Later on, I did a cam upgrade, so I replaced both sides with foam material from Marc H. I also used some black RTV on the front right hand corner oil pan stud.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #14
5ABI VT

Catch can is pulling oil still and doesn't seem to be clogged. I am using a larger diameter hose to and from the can so shouldn't be a restriction there I think. I picked up a few o rings and will try them out. The original is hard and I'm hoping it's the reason. The vent tubes.. If oil was leaking out of them I would assume there would be even a trace of oil right at the point where the tube goes into the cover? There isn't any there at all. I pulled plug wires and happy to see they're all clean of oil so it was just the little bit that was visible.

Can anyone verify that the oil fill cap when removed is basically 2 pieces and not 1 solid piece ? Mine jiggles and the inner piece looks to be held by the cap by tabs.

Old 08-17-2015   #15
We Gone

Yes the oil cap is two parts much like the gas cap with the top half acting like a ratchet so you can't over tighten it.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #16
secondchance

I would also check PCV valves and make sure they are not gunked up.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #17
5ABI VT

Well I got the best fitting o ring on the cap and there is a VERY noticeable difference. When tightening I can fee the o ring get snug / some resistance and then it clicks. Never did that before. I cleaned everything up and will get on it a few times tonight after work if I get a chance and check.

Pcv valves were left in sea foam solution for a long time while I did the top end pull. They seemed to be clean but doesn't hurt to check!
Old 08-17-2015   #18
XfireZ51

I'm hoping you find it to be the oil cap.
Old 08-17-2015   #19
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I'm hoping you find it to be the oil cap.

I certainly hope so ! My dipstick doesn't stay put either . I'll be pulling it off and sending it out to lokar maybe this week for a screw in billet unit. I will be asking them to take measurements etc so others here can buy one as several people have expressed interest. I don't think I'm leaking from the dipstick though because everything in the area is dry.

I have a feeling braking plus rev matching and downshifting and Loving the rumble my car makes is responsible for oil getting to the front of the cover and leaking through the cap. That's my best guess this far.
Old 08-17-2015   #20
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I certainly hope so ! My dipstick doesn't stay put either . I'll be pulling it off and sending it out to lokar maybe this week for a screw in billet unit. I will be asking them to take measurements etc so others here can buy one as several people have expressed interest. I don't think I'm leaking from the dipstick though because everything in the area is dry.

I have a feeling braking plus rev matching and downshifting and Loving the rumble my car makes is responsible for oil getting to the front of the cover and leaking through the cap. That's my best guess this far.
Dipstick popping is another sign of crankcase pressurization.