ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-14-2014   #11
scottfab

Default Re: LED Headlights for our Zs

Along with much longer life and usual increase in light output, not to be forgotten, is that as you convert more bulbs to LED the less draw on the alternator and therefore less of a leaching of HP from the LT5.
(makes for more current available for cooling boxes etc on long trips)

The other phenomenon is the available selections of color temperatures, everything from "Warm White ~3000K" to nausea inducing "Xenon White 20,000K" and everything in between.

I've been following the LED technology now for many years. What's been happening is a bifurcation in the market needs. On one end is the extreme efficiency LEDs and at the other is the extreme high output ones. The later sacrifice efficiency for better thermal dissipation characteristics. (heat tolerance etc) The high heat ones use ceramic composites and an RTV like compound. That way they can drive the piss out of them and use heat sinks and/of fans to keep them cool.

I am fairly sure over time we'll see incandescent, CFL, HID, Halogen and other bulbs go the way of vinyl records. They'll still be around but only for nostalgia and other (like NCRS) specialty purposes.
For a similar historical transition talk to someone that went through the transition from kerosine lamps to electric.
My brother has a father-in-law that can still remember rural places in Wash St. that went through that transition.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #12
8cam

While LEDs are cool, the technology is still young and there are far more cost-effective alternatives these days. A set of E-code housings with glass lenses, high-wattage H4 bulbs, and relays, will cost less and provide far better lighting. Good reflector and lens design, coupled with proper adjustment will get you better results than most "upgrades" out there. I do this in all my cars and the difference is just phenomenal.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #13
Fully Vetted

I went LED on my Wrangler and couldn't believe the difference. Even over my HID's on my F150. I love them. They were about the same price as the ones for the Z. A little more actually.

Previous owner did HID's on my Z but I'll be looking into these LED's for sure.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #14
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Actually you are refering to the $99 and less Ebay HID kits. My kit was plug and play from CorvetteHID.com including the ballasts. All 'Kits" and I use that term loosely are NOT the same.

Neat with the LEDS. I was wondering when that was going to come along. I wonder if they use one large LED or multiples to acheive ALL the light? I wonder if the housings are plastic.... I hate those as they tend to haze vs. glass
Daryl,

Did your kit come with reflector optimized for HID bulb? Fully understand your comment that there are kits with varying level of quality. My concern was more of reflector quality. Even if I went with quality reflector such as Hella, due to difference in bulbs between halogen and HID, resulting light from reflector may not be what was intended.
Reason I am hopeful with GE LED is based on an assumption that the light source (LED) and reflector must have been designed with quality engineering with GE's reputation on the line.
There may be HID kits engineered properly. It is just very difficult to know what you will be getting.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #15
Fully Vetted

This may not matter to some but there's the whole law issue as well. The LED's are DOT approved.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #16
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Daryl,

Did your kit come with reflector optimized for HID bulb? Fully understand your comment that there are kits with varying level of quality. My concern was more of reflector quality. Even if I went with quality reflector such as Hella, due to difference in bulbs between halogen and HID, resulting light from reflector may not be what was intended.
Reason I am hopeful with GE LED is based on an assumption that the light source (LED) and reflector must have been designed with quality engineering with GE's reputation on the line.
There may be HID kits engineered properly. It is just very difficult to know what you will be getting.
Great point mine are glass projector housings. You truly get what you pay for. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #17
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I went LED on my Wrangler and couldn't believe the difference. Even over my HID's on my F150. I love them. They were about the same price as the ones for the Z. A little more actually.

Previous owner did HID's on my Z but I'll be looking into these LED's for sure.

Are they glass or a plastic lens?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #18
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
This may not matter to some but there's the whole law issue as well. The LED's are DOT approved.
GE website FAQ says "
Are these LED lamps Legal?
YES. The GE LED Headlamp exceeds the DOT requirements for on road use"

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...eadlights/faq/
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #19
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
GE website FAQ says "
Are these LED lamps Legal?
YES. The GE LED Headlamp exceeds the DOT requirements for on road use"

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...eadlights/faq/
Good find.
Good stuff.=D>

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #20
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
Along with much longer life and usual increase in light output, not to be forgotten, is that as you convert more bulbs to LED the less draw on the alternator and therefore less of a leaching of HP from the LT5.
(makes for more current available for cooling boxes etc on long trips)

The other phenomenon is the available selections of color temperatures, everything from "Warm White ~3000K" to nausea inducing "Xenon White 20,000K" and everything in between.

I've been following the LED technology now for many years. What's been happening is a bifurcation in the market needs. On one end is the extreme efficiency LEDs and at the other is the extreme high output ones. The later sacrifice efficiency for better thermal dissipation characteristics. (heat tolerance etc) The high heat ones use ceramic composites and an RTV like compound. That way they can drive the piss out of them and use heat sinks and/of fans to keep them cool.

I am fairly sure over time we'll see incandescent, CFL, HID, Halogen and other bulbs go the way of vinyl records. They'll still be around but only for nostalgia and other (like NCRS) specialty purposes.
For a similar historical transition talk to someone that went through the transition from kerosine lamps to electric.
My brother has a father-in-law that can still remember rural places in Wash St. that went through that transition.
If the amp draw on the alternator is less (whatever the difference is, between a car equipped with LED headlamps vs. standard lamps), then should the CS 144 Z alternator be replaced, with a LOWER amp output alternator?

Question is, when the ECM decides that the 'clutch mechanism', in the alternator, that has to engage, and become more of a load on the motor, ... ?

The alternator is ALWAYS spinning...

How DOES the integral voltage regulator work, I guess, is the question???
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote