ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-04-2008   #11
QB93Z

Default Re: 4 Post Lifts

I just installed a BendPak 4-post lift in my new garage. (model HSD9). I am very pleased with the quality of this American-made lift. It cost a little less than a Backyard Buddy, but was not the cheapest lift I looked at. It has the most secure locks of any of the lifts I researched.

BTW: Any ZR-1 owners that are convenient to central Maryland and want to look at the bottom of their car, get in touch with me.

QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #12
DMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z
I just installed a BendPak 4-post lift in my new garage....
QB93Z - - - I have GOT to get me one of these.

What is the height from the floor to the roof and the floor to the hood with the CE at its raised position?

I have a low ceiling in my garage.

Thanks,
LS3,LS6,LT1,LT5,L98,L82,L36,L79,L76
DMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #13
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark
QB93Z - - - I have GOT to get me one of these.

What is the height from the floor to the roof and the floor to the hood with the CE at its raised position?

I have a low ceiling in my garage.

Thanks,
This garage is 10 feet, floor to lowest rafter. (NICE). I unstacked the vettes right after I took the picture (gotta drive em) so I don't have any exact measurements yet.

With the lift as low as possible above a C-4, the top surface of the deck is 55 inches above the floor. The roof top of the top C-4 should be 101.5 inches above the floor. In order to raise the deck off the locks, about 3 inches of clearance is needed. So, the minimum ceiling height would be about 104.5 inches. In my garage, the door opener mechanism extends 12.5 inches below the ceiling (rafters), so I have to park the top C-4 nose out to allow the opener mechanism to fit above the windshield and hood.

If you need me to measure anything else, let me know.

Jim
Old 03-07-2008   #14
DMark

Thumbs up Re: 4 Post Lifts

Jim,

THANKS!

That is level of detail that I needed.
LS3,LS6,LT1,LT5,L98,L82,L36,L79,L76
DMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #15
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z
I just installed a BendPak 4-post lift in my new garage. (model HSD9). I am very pleased with the quality of this American-made lift. It cost a little less than a Backyard Buddy, but was not the cheapest lift I looked at. It has the most secure locks of any of the lifts I researched.

BTW: Any ZR-1 owners that are convenient to central Maryland and want to look at the bottom of their car, get in touch with me.

Jim,
I really like your lift (actually I'm green with envy)
Which store did you buy it from and what extras did you get?
And was delivery and set-up much of a hassle?
I can't stand you guys bragging any longer about how you can get your Zs up so I went cut a hole in the ceiling of my garage and found I can raise up it up to 115" with no problems.
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #16
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
Jim,
I really like your lift (actually I'm green with envy)
Which store did you buy it from and what extras did you get?
And was delivery and set-up much of a hassle?
I can't stand you guys bragging any longer about how you can get your Zs up so I went cut a hole in the ceiling of my garage and found I can raise up it up to 115" with no problems.
I am interested in how you modified the garage ceiling to gain extra height. What was the ceiling height when you started?

I bought the lift from an eBay dealer, The Body Shop Resource.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bend-...3152QQtcZphoto

1-800-336-2776 ext 130 ask for the Internet price.

I got the Bend-Pak HD-9 model.

$2695 including shipping and three drip trays.

I added a sliding jack tray, $220.

I did not get the wheels. Right now I plan to keep the lift in one place, but I didn't bolt it to the floor yet. It is very stable as it is.

The lift was delivered to a freight terminal in Baltimore. They will not deliver to your home unless you have a way to get the package off a semi at your home. The package is 17 feet long and weighs about 1700 pounds so I rented a truck to get the lift. My son and I took apart the shipping configuration in the truck and unloaded it one piece at a time. It took about an hour. The left runway (with the hydraulic cylinder installed) is heavier than two normal guys could carry, but by using a dolly, we were able to unload it safely.

There is a narrow version of the same lift, but I liked the fact that on the HD-9, the posts are as far apart as the width of my standard garage door (about 9 feet). So with the deck raised, there is no access restriction to park a car in the garage. Also, since all of the operating mechanism is under one runway, the other runway can be installed in a wider configuration to accommodate a wide track vehicle if needed. (The ZR-1 fits in the standard position).

The Bend-Pak lift uses compressed air (you have to have an air compressor) to operate the locks that the deck rests on when the lift is stationary. On the other lifts that I researched, the locks were operated with a system of levers and rods. I was worried that those mechanisms could jam and fail to properly engage or disengage when lowering.

The lock mechanism on the Bend-Pak lifts is the best designed in my opinion. In some other lifts, if there is play between the post and the cross-piece (which there has to be to allow it to slide up and down), then there is the possibility of play between the pawl and the surface it rests on. On the Bend-Pak locks, the "ladder" that the pawl rests on is not part of the post, but is suspended from the top of the post and is held in alignment with the cross-piece end by heavy duty slots in the sliding mechanism. Much safer in my opinion.

Assembly was straight forward, although it took a little ingenuity to get the heavy runway in position with just two people.

NOTE: Make sure you specify STRONGLY if you need the 110 AC motor. I ordered 110 AC but received a 220 AC model. I had already wired my garage with 220 so I kept it, but you may not have that option.

Contact me if you would like to see the lift or have any other questions. I can take more pictures if it would help.

Jim
Old 03-13-2008   #17
Jagdpanzer

Jim,
Thanks for the info.
Turns out on my side of the garage I have a 24'' void space between the non structural ceiling beams and the floor beams above . It was built this way to allow for a sunken bath tub installation in the master bath which is located above my wife's side of the garage. This is got to be the best thing this damn tub has ever done for me since I bought this house ten years ago.
Old 03-13-2008   #18
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
Jim,
Thanks for the info.
Turns out on my side of the garage I have a 24'' void space between the non structural ceiling beams and the floor beams above . It was built this way to allow for a sunken bath tub installation in the master bath which is located above my wife's side of the garage. This is got to be the best thing this damn tub has ever done for me since I bought this house ten years ago.
You are welcome. It sounds like you have the opportunity to build some nice vertical storage there. Let me know if I can help.
Jim
Old 03-13-2008   #19
key_on

Jim,

My ceiling height is 9 ft 6 inches (114 inches). My ZR-1 is about 47 inches. Looks like the runway height is 4 1/2 inches, according to their website. The manufacturer says the lift needs to rise 1 inch to release the locks, and the locks are 4 inches apart. I would like at least 2 inches clearance between the roof of the car and the ceiling. According to my calculations, that leaves me about 59 1/2 inches for storage below. I would like to put a Mustang (approx. 55 inches) underneath. So, I'm going to be close, but sounds like it would work. Based on your experience with the lift, have I missed anything in my calculations? I don't have enough wiggle room to make any bad assumptions. I do have the option to raise the ceiling in my garage, but would prefer to not do this.

Thanks,
Pat
key_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #20
Jagdpanzer

I just place an order for the Ben-Pak HD-9 with these guys:
http://www.asedeals.com/garage_lift.html
Got it for $2,527 delivered to local freight terminal.
They have a garage lift sale going on now.
They claim Bend-Pak HD-9 prices will be going up on Monday next week.