ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-01-2013   #11
csavaglio

Default Re: Oil Change

I used just about 9 quarts or so. I initially filled about 8 quarts, started it for about 30 seconds, then let the car sit for a few hours before adding another quart. I added in the last bit after it sat another few hours.

I filled it with Mobil 1 High Mileage at the recommendation of Haibeck when I spoke to him on the phone. He said it's a acceptable alternative to the expensive Amsoil. Going by the ZDDP numbers, it's similar to what oils used to be when the cars were new.

You have to appreciate a car that takes all day to change the oil in.

Chris

Last edited by csavaglio; 11-02-2013 at 07:49 AM.
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #12
Crusin

I agree with you CSavaglio in regards to the type of oil to use in the LT5 engine as Mark deffinetly know his stuff when it comes to the ZR-1. I also wondered about the amount of oil left in the engine and oil cooler after just a quick drain. After my first oil change I noticed my change oil light came on after only about 600 miles and the oil seemed dirty. I now let it drain all night and put in fresh oil and filter the next day. The LT5 is a work horse and was a great engine in its time. But I still like the sound from that cam when shifting up threw the gears. Have a good one!
Crusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #13
PhillipsLT5

oil light may have come on @ 600 miles due to not being reset at oil change?
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #14
csavaglio

I agree....the oil life monitor in C4s used an algorithm that accounted for RPM, oil temperature, and (I think) number of cold starts. There's no sensor that actually measures the oil's condition.

If it came on at 600 miles, it was most likely because it wasn't reset after the last oil change.
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #15
tomcat

All, I warm up my ZR1 to operating temp. Let it sit for 2 hours. Drain oil overnight. Put 8 quarts of oil in ZR1. Wait 2 hours check oil, top off oil if needed.

Manfred E..............

91 ZR1 #906
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #16
Blownrunner

I also drain my oil cooler, there is a 1/8" allen plug on the passenger side below the oil cooler. I get about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts out of it. I also check the operation of the oil level sensor when the oil is drained and again after I fill the engine. Just thought I would throw that in.
Blownrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #17
RyanChappel

Relying on this site for ZR-1 advice is sort of like living out the premise of the '60s book by Alvin Toffler, 'Future Shock'.

The premise of the book was that in the future, through technology, we humans would have so much information available at the touch of a button, that we would be unable to cope..and the phrase coined by Toffler to describe that condition was 'Future Shock'.....

In terms of oil...reading posts by very worthy sources, we have learned that Amsoil 10W-40, and Mobil1 are consensus picks for engine oil...

Mobil1's website recommends 5W-30 synthetic rather than the Hi-Mileage version which I read about here..

Why would Mobil1's site recommend 5W as opposed to 10W, and why the regular product in place of the Hi-Mileage (more zinc?) product???

My 19K mileage car has always run 10W regular Mobil1......I need to get an oil change, and am tired of being mired in the hated !WAXER! category, so.........I'm set on doing it myself..

I've already decided on the ACDelco PF970C option for the filter..

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
RyanChappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017   #18
Tripler

Another question is do we also have to replace the oil drain plug washer ? Or is that washer good for the life of the engine ?. Obviously replace it if it is leaking in anyway of course . Changing the oil on the Z next week . May do the over night drain but not sure yet . I do enjoy putting the Z up on the BL 5000 tho ... ( Quick Jack )
Also getting Mobil1 High mileage yet I noticed a post saying that regular Mobil1 is fine . Does it matter ? We change it every year regardless before the Z is put to bed for the winter .
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017   #19
lfalzarano

I tried the extended Mobile 1, but went back to the regular stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 09-22-2017   #20
BigJohn

REGULAR STUFF?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote