actually ...
haha, maybe that is where I saw it.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #14
sammy

Default Re: ah heck , my ignition lock wont turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
If you just need a lock cylinder, you can get to it in less than an hour in-car with the steering wheel and turn signal removal process.

If it is an uglier situation or you need to fix up your tilt housing wobble, you might be better off taking the column out and working on a bench. You can totally get it rebuilt outside much easier. It is still a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but if you have ever seen these apart before, repaired turn signal switches etc, with the help of the manual and good documentation on the internet, you should be able to get it done if you budget a couple of days to do it.

I would suggest hiring a little help to get it out of the car,plus a helper makes it easier to reinstall. I did it all myself by being clever, but putting it back in is the trickier part.

I don't blame you on the Mustang thoughts either. I replaced that little white VW I had with one- screw mpgs..life is too short to drive dull cars.
mike thanx for your thoughts on this project . i am really toying with the idea of selling one of the zs and getting a 2012 5.0 mustang . about dec i bet there might be some good deals on a yr old new car .that way i could have a fun car for the every day stuff and still have a z for special occasions .
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #15
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
mike thanx for your thoughts on this project . i am really toying with the idea of selling one of the zs and getting a 2012 5.0 mustang . about dec i bet there might be some good deals on a yr old new car .that way i could have a fun car for the every day stuff and still have a z for special occasions .
It is nice having ground clearance and cheap tires. Fuel cut is at 6900 rpms though (you have to buy the Boss 302 to get the better rods and pistons...those go to 7400 rpm). peak power is at 6500 on the regular GT so you have to rev it to the redline and it is a little trickier than on some cars.

You can tune them, get headers, sticky rubber...whatever- the best thing about them is the VVT and the flexible powerband- it is just easy to drive. doesn't matter if you have a tuned 12.40 car or a stock 13.0 flat one- they pretty much both feel athletic and willing to rev.
The only thing I got on mine is the heated seats and 3.55 gears on a GT premium. I lucked up on a deal that some young guy bought, drove for 450 miles, and returned it to the dealer when his financing fell through. When Ford had $3k cash back in Jan, I ended up getting it for $26k so I scooped it up immediately.
I still like owning my C4, but the thought comes to mind to sell it to cash out since having two vettes and a 5-oh is a little over-the-top.

Either way I think I would fix the ignition.

Last edited by mike100; 07-26-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2012   #16
sammy

oh yeah i will fix it i just don't like messing with things i haven't done before .i found out that i paid way to much for the ignition switch 145 @the dealer . and with money tight from my now 2 operations kinda sucks .i think i will start cking around for that little 5.0. did you get an auto or the manual .???/ i hear that little auto is pretty darn good .
Old 07-26-2012   #17
mike100

Quote:
oh yeah i will fix it i just don't like messing with things i haven't done before .i found out that i paid way to much for the ignition switch 145 @the dealer . and with money tight from my now 2 operations kinda sucks .i think i will start cking around for that little 5.0. did you get an auto or the manual .???/ i hear that little auto is pretty darn good .
PM'ed...
Old 07-27-2012   #18
sammy

there is an old locksmith that retired in my town and just happened to meet him during morning coffee @lees. chevron (we all meet there about 5 am ) well i shared what was happening to my car and he said lets go ck it out . he thought it might be fixable and asked if i had electronic cleaner and powdered graphite, and an air compressor. so he .started by spraying about a 1/4 can of the electronic cleaner in it then using my thin blow off tool on my compressor blew in and around the outside of the lock for a couple of minutes .then squirted an obscene amount of the graphite in the lock . cover the lock with a towel and blew into and around the lock again . then put the key in and out 5 times then put it in again and i will be danged if it didnt turn. like it was new .he shared that since i have a dirt driveway thats about 1/2 mile long that over time dirt will gum up the lock .he said the next time it even feels a little stiff do what he did and all will be well .so if your lock is starting to get a little tough to turn give this a try . i had allready bought a new lock but for now it can stay in the box .
Old 07-28-2012   #19
scottfab

Quote:
there is an old locksmith that retired in my town and just happened to meet him during morning coffee @lees. chevron (we all meet there about 5 am ) well i shared what was happening to my car and he said lets go ck it out . he thought it might be fixable and asked if i had electronic cleaner and powdered graphite, and an air compressor. so he .started by spraying about a 1/4 can of the electronic cleaner in it then using my thin blow off tool on my compressor blew in and around the outside of the lock for a couple of minutes .then squirted an obscene amount of the graphite in the lock . cover the lock with a towel and blew into and around the lock again . then put the key in and out 5 times then put it in again and i will be danged if it didnt turn. like it was new .he shared that since i have a dirt driveway thats about 1/2 mile long that over time dirt will gum up the lock .he said the next time it even feels a little stiff do what he did and all will be well .so if your lock is starting to get a little tough to turn give this a try . i had allready bought a new lock but for now it can stay in the box .
Wow, one of those $1 in parts and $99 for knowledge.
Good to hear.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #20
mike100

I might do mine with silicone lube or graphite just as a preventative...