ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-15-2016   #11
Z51JEFF

Default Re: Stuck!! No crank ! LF some input and help !

That switch is such a pain in the @$$ to get to. If mine ever goes I'll bypass it. I've done the relay mod and so far no issues.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #12
Racinfan83

I did the relay mod as well and no issues since. Also make sure you have a good battery. I figure with the relay mod I took a lot of other things out of the equation so if it fails to start again I know to go digging for the starter...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #13
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
That switch is such a pain in the @$$ to get to. If mine ever goes I'll bypass it. I've done the relay mod and so far no issues.
I swapped clutch neutral safety switch on my 84. It is an absolute BEAR to replace. The seat MUST come out. The one on my ZR is bypassed which is relatively easy to do.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #14
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
I did the relay mod as well and no issues since. Also make sure you have a good battery. I figure with the relay mod I took a lot of other things out of the equation so if it fails to start again I know to go digging for the starter...
I have installed the Relay and rebuilt the starter or new starter on ALL Zs and have never had a starting issue. I have never touched the clutch switch

Starter Relay, Wiring Harness, and Plugs Tricks
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #15
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
<snip>... I figure with the relay mod I took a lot of other things out of the equation so if it fails to start again I know to go digging for the starter...
I think (but could be mistaken), the relay mod does not bypass the potential problem areas (VATS, clutch switch, ignition switch), but rather does not require all of them to carry the heavy electrical load. The relay is still triggered by the same circuit (after it goes through all those things), but the other contact in the relay is supplying the starter with a more direct path of 12v.

In other words, if you have a (serious) VATS/clutch/ignition issue, you might still have a problem even with the relay mod.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #16
5ABI VT

Got the clutch switch and connected the wires together. Still no start. No noise at all no clicking etc. I'll make a short video. I don't see any gauges dimming when turning to start. Thinking to check the ohmage on the key and just do the vats bypass for that while the kick panel is out.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #17
5ABI VT

I'll add this to the main page too. Here's what I see.. This was after I tied the clutch switch wires together just now.

https://youtu.be/d_rI6IdEKsg
Old 08-15-2016   #18
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Thanks very much that is great if I'm understanding correctly this adds a longer sure with a sort of 'T' fitting in between. If and when the starter isn't getting power I can connect a second wire to the 'T' and the other end straight to the battery ?
Basically what you are doing is finding the wire that goes to the starter (the big purple wire), and giving it 12v straight from the battery. (make sure car is out of gear!)

Another benefit to this quick, temporary fix is, if the car starts with this method you confirm your starter motor isn't the problem.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #19
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Basically what you are doing is finding the wire that goes to the starter (the big purple wire), and giving it 12v straight from the battery. (make sure car is out of gear!)

Another benefit to this quick, temporary fix is, if the car starts with this method you confirm your starter motor isn't the problem.

Next on the list and will try it shortly. I will need to have someone in the car turning the key I assume to get it to fire? Regardless like you said if the starter turns then I know it's not the issue ! Will report back shortly thanks !
Old 08-15-2016   #20
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

another benefit is you don't need to use the clutch to start the car