ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-04-2020   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: OE Style Oil Cooler Lines?

You will then need an Oil Filter Adapter Gasket and a bit of Permatex Gasket Sealant

You still have the issues of corroded and "locktited" Fittings to remove and I say again and again.......use a little heat on the Aluminum Housing around the fittings (one fitting at a time)........Propane torch or Acetylene torch will work

You do NOT want to "bugger up" the flats on the fittings

I use a bit of Permatex Gasket Sealant on the fitting pipe threads also when installing the fittings (Just tight enough to not leak....Do NOT OVERDO tightening the pipe fittings

Jerry knows why the small print regarding Permatex

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-04-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020   #12
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Red '90 View Post
I appreciate all of the suggestions, but they are not working. The wrench method (looped and hammer blows) is doing nothing more than starting to deform the fitting. I’m afraid that any more force is going to round the edges.

The online retailer never responded so I went to three local hydraulic shops today. None had the equipment available to rebuild the OE lines. I ended up purchasing two 12AN to 10AN adapters so I could install the Jerry’s Gasket kit without having to remove the factory fittings. Unfortunately, that did not work as the lines would need about 1 ½ inches cut from them to fit with the adaptors.

My train thought is to build my own lines: factory 12AN fitting>12AN to 10AN adaptor>45degree 10AN push fitting>generic hose>90 degree 10AN pushfitting>Jerry’s Gasket oil cooler adaptor.

Back in my early years with Barney, I built a set of AN12 lines using Aeroquip parts and a oil cooler connection I had made. I did that and never had another oil leak for 28 years after that.

Did I read the above correctly,...the AN-12 fittings on the engine were "adapted down" to AN-10 for the hoses?

If so, why would you want to restrict oil flow like that?

Also, I take it that you still cannot break the fittings loose. If it were me, as a last resort and after I remove anything that burns which is in close proximity of those two fittings (that includes grease/dirt on the engine) I'd try heating those fittings with a propane torch fitted with a nozzle that allows you to keep the flame pretty narrow. I'd also go looking on the Internet for a big flare nut wrench or a big flare-nut crowsfoot wrench in the AN-12 size.

Another "hail mary" idea would be to remove the oil filter/cooler connection adapter from the engine then try and remove the fitting/hose combination from that adapter.
current owner 19 VIN 1878

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 01-09-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020   #13
-=Jeff=-

Where do the OE line typically leak from? I still have OE lines on my car.. I don't think they are leaking
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020   #14
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Where do the OE line typically leak from? I still have OE lines on my car.. I don't think they are leaking
Mine leaking, sweating from the crimp area.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #15
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
Did I read the above correctly,...the AN-12 fittings on the engine were "adapted down" to AN-10 for the hoses?

If so, why would you want to restrict oil flow like that?
AN-10 hose & fittings are the same size i.d. of the original hoses & the Oil Cooler Adapter.

Original AN fittings @ Oil Filter Adapter are 1" MNPT x Male AN-12
Replacement fittings furnished with Jerrys Gaskets Oil Cooler Hose Kit are 1"MNPT x Male AN-10. Hoses, fittings & adapter are all the same flow capacity at the original hoses & fittings.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #16
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I use a bit of Permatex Gasket Sealant on the fitting pipe threads also when installing the fittings (Just tight enough to not leak....Do NOT OVERDO tightening the pipe fittings

Jerry knows why the small print regarding Permatex
Sure I do. You are an unabashed, hopelessly addicted Permatex user!

Maybe it's our generation, but I prefer the non-hardening type Permatex over silicone. On a much more limited basis than you!!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 01-10-2020 at 11:36 AM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020   #17
Black Red '90

Got the lines on the car today. I ended up using a set of AN-12 female to AN-10 male adaptors on the factory fittings. Although these adaptors had O-rings, I used Permatex high temp tread sealant. I reused the lines from the Jerry's Gaskets kit to save $$$ and because the fittings on the oil cooler side were known good quality. I cut about 3" from the lower line and 2" from the upper and installed 45 degree Russell fittings. The lines were rinsed with water & blown dry before installation.

I'm very happy with the results. No leaks after letting the car idle for 5 minutes, followed by a 15 minute test drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0423.jpg (262.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0417.jpg (366.0 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Black Red '90; 01-11-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Black Red '90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #18
Hib Halverson

There is a "story" about the oil lines.

Back when the engine was in deveopment at Lotus, the oil lines were designed using some custom made hose ordered-up by Lotus. The hose ID was close to the ID for AN-10. The engine went to production with that hose set.

Problem was: that hose set had some kind of design defect that eventually had the hoses leaking where the fittings were crimped onto the hose material and also some of those old hoses would "weep" oil.

After a year or so of production and replacing a poop-load of those hoses under warranty, GM had to have more hose sets made. GM decided to change the hose set to solve the leak problem and sourced the hose domestically. Problem was, the ID of the original Lotus-designed hoses was not a standard size available in the U.S. The cheap bastards at GM picked a hose size smaller than the original design. Obviously, smaller diameter means more restriction to oil flow.

I remember several years after I bought Barney, my hoses started leaking. I pulled them off, went down to the Chevy store and said, "I need a set of these." They didn't have them in stock (obviously) so I ordered a set. A week later they showed up and the first thing I noted was the ID was smaller. "No way, send them back, dude. I'll make a set of AN lines".

Measuring the ID of the old hoses, I found them right about AN-10. Back then I had an Aeroquip sponsorship so I ordered enough raw materials to make a set of lines. I started with two AN-10 bulkhead fittings and had my cylinder head guy weld them onto the 90° curved section of aluminum tube coming out of the plate that bolts to the cooler.

After that, it was a simple matter of making up the lines, setting them in place and tightening the fittings on the engine and tightening the bolt on the cooler.

Those hoses lasted for 15 years and were on the car when I sold it. Wherever Barney is now, they are probably still on that engine.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote