ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-13-2019   #11
billschroeder5842

Default Re: Wheel sensors destroyed through tire removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanZR1 View Post
Bill, I know multiple people who've used Wheel Repair Solutions in Carrollton........ 91 won't throw a warning light if they are all removed.
Thanks- I'll look them up- I work in Las Colinas so it is right up the road.

No code? Now, that is something I did not know.

Thanks Evan!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019   #12
TX '90 ZR1

Bill,
I'm with Evan on leaving the sensors out. Why take a chance with a 30 year old piece of plastic coming apart at speed?
Mine is a '90. (I think the '91 works the same.) Removed the sensors and all the dash indicators work as when the sensors were installed.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019   #13
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young1 View Post
In the 90s these wheel sensors were a new thing. But this Type of band wheel sensor is now quite common. Proficient shops are used to them. I agree go to a different shop.
A little about the early TPM system.

First of all 1990 was not the first year for the TPM system. It was introduced in 1989 and had been in production more than a year when the ZR-1 debuted.

The "band type" sensors are long a thing of the past. Back in the late 90s, the Corvette went to sensors integrated into the valve stem and all other manufacturers use that type of sensor.

You need to find a competent tire service facility which is familiar with the C4 Corvette TPM system. America's Tire/Discount Tire stores are usually my choice when I need competent tire service. Don't rely on some wheel shop for that. If the tire shop is aware of the sensors, has the proper equipment and knows how to use it, when they break the outer bead, then go to remove the tire they can take care to not break the sensors. When I had Barney, I had tire work done several times and my tire service vendor at the time never even touched one of those sensors.

As for the early C4 sensors coming loose, that's vary rare. While the body of the sensor is partially plastic, the retention band is stainless steel and, if installed properly, is not going to come loose.

What does fail are the sensors them selves. Seems to me there is some really old stuff floating around on the Internet on how to disassemble and repair those sensors.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019   #14
Ccmano

I’m for removing them. Plastic, especially 90’s plastic does not age well. Unless the car has been yours since day one who knows how they have been treated during the replacement of tires. Even then you don’t necessarily know what the tire shop did. When I got my (albeit high mile) car and pulled mine all four were floating around loose inside the tires.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019   #15
WARP TEN

Let me post a vote for leaving the sensors in. First, any competent tire shop should be able to remove the tires and protect the sensors, especially if you tell them about them before hand, show them pictures, show them the proper way to do so (all info easily available to you). I had Costco replace my old Sumis with Michelins on my '95 (with sensors, stock A molds) and they had no trouble doing so. Second, I have had the sensors work well twice for me and was very glad I had them. The tires are quite low profile and it is often hard to see that a tire is low on air. Marc Haibeck, Paul Workman and I were having lunch yesterday and happened to talk extensively about wheel sensors. He recounted a couple of times where he had taken cars for initial test rides upon arrival at his shop only to discover later that each had a completely flat tire, one pointed out by a pedestrian. The cars were all with sensors removed or lights removed. We vote to leave them in if you can find a good shop. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019   #16
lfalzarano

I would take them out next time I change tires. As only an occasional driver (twice a month) I do a routine check of all the fluids and tire pressures before I take the Z out for a short drive. I recommend checking everything before flight takeoff in the beast!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 12-14-2019   #17
EvanZR1

There are also really cheap modern TPMS adapters that you can get as well. They even have bluetooth monitors that can be monitored from your phone (iPhone & Android), both in cap version for existing valve stems, and modern valve stem replacement units.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote