ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-02-2009   #11
secondchance

Default Re: I think the price for Vettes just doubled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
I don't recall the EPA or CAFE as having any control over India or China. New vehicles in the US run extremely clean. The notion of pollution vs CAFE is a non-issue. Nor do I want to go easy on the oil so that there's some left for them. If they really start using it to where supply can't keep up, the price will rise, curbing their demand.
All I am saying is CAFE is being brought on in order to respond to hike in oil price as a result of higher demand (not just for cars but for growing 3rd world industry). As for EPA, again, as more and more fuel is burnt through out the world everyone, domestic or foreign, simply have to respond by stricter standards.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #12
Aurora40

So if oil prices come down, do you feel CAFE should be repealed?
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #13
secondchance

Quote:
So if oil prices come down, do you feel CAFE should be repealed?
For one, oil price in the long run will not come down. At least in forseeable future.
Do you recall 55 MPH nationwide limit? It was sold at the time as a means of saving fuel. It took almost 20 years to repeal. We all know how governments behave. Once they sell you on any restriction, they hate to give it back. Even when the reason for restriction goes away.
I am no expert but the reason Detroit was able to push SUVs (big ones) was due to trucks being governed by lower CAFE requirement? Of course, public responded to this positively since gas was relatively cheap during the 90s.

To answer your question, yes. If oil prices fall and we no longer have fear of relying on imported oil, CAFE should be repealed. Would it be successful? 55 mph limit was repealed and lifted - sanity prevailed!

I just hope safety nazis don't try to bring back 55 limit with need to conserve oil.

Last edited by secondchance; 06-02-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-02-2009   #14
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post

Some one, maybe SecondChance said it, "we have witnessed the second passing of the high performance age"......
Tomtom-

In a nutshell, your comment is at the core of my "price doubling" thread. I hope as Dom says the Corvette can meet the CAFE standards gracefully. (Key word: Hope) But, I wonder if the day of the NA, 500+ hp, ground pounding V8s may be a thing of the past in the not so distant future. With the government selecting several of the board of directors at GM and this out of control "green" movement just building a head of steam, it seems to me Corvette (as we know it) might be sidelined (or worse) at some point soon. Or worse? Remember what Ford did to the mighty Mustang in the mid 70s? aka the "Mustang II"?? (Oh...Just shoot me!).

I'm not making any point. Just interested in what is in other people's heads too.

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #15
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Tomtom-

...With the government selecting several of the board of directors at GM and
To be expected when you provide the majority of the funding. Not sure what the difference is when a Buffett provides funding and demands board seat or when the US Treasury does it and demands board seats. They're both investors looking to maximize outcome.

Quote:
this out of control "green" movement just building a head of steam, it seems to me Corvette (as we know it) might be sidelined (or worse) at some point soon. Or worse? Remember what Ford did to the mighty Mustang in the mid 70s? aka the "Mustang II"?? (Oh...Just shoot me!).
Green movement doesn't mean end of Corvette. Said the same thing 35 years ago, and here we are at 638hp. I don't think they are out of control. They provide a necessary counter to unbridled disregard for the environment. Yin and Yang. Both a necessity. The Mustang II was Ford's decision not the "greenies". Corvette will be different. Maybe a Mr. Fusion in the back. Wouldn't that be cool.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #16
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Said the same thing 35 years ago, and here we are at 638hp.
Thirty five years ago! Are you at some incredible age where thirty five years is like nothing? Do you plan on living for hundreds of years more, so that a thirty five year hiatus on enjoyable cars is no sweat???
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #17
XfireZ51

Quote:
Thirty five years ago! Are you at some incredible age where thirty five years is like nothing? Do you plan on living for hundreds of years more, so that a thirty five year hiatus on enjoyable cars is no sweat???
Come on Bob. Its been a pretty good ride since the mid 80's starting with the lowly Xfire. And don't think for a minute that wasn't "managed" by the OEMs.
Old 06-02-2009   #18
secondchance

Come on guys! look at the bright side.
For next 10 to 30 years (optimistic to pessimistic estimate), King of the Hill status for ZR-1 seems to be guaranteed!
I, for one, was sad to accept hp inflation that seems to be happening in new cars. Mercedes with 500 plus horses?
At this point, with minor mod, 90s ZR-1's spanking ability is virtually guaranteed!
I for one will spend my money on restoration, engine mod, and gasoline.
Furthermore, as we recover economically and people get fed up with efficient "transportation appliances", 90s to 2009 performance cars will develop nostalgic, mythological values as we have for hemis, 428, 429 Fords and big rat block motored muscle cars.

Last edited by secondchance; 06-02-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-02-2009   #19
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Come on guys! look at the bright side.
For next 10 to 30 years (optimistic to pessimistic estimate), King of the Hill status for ZR-1 seems to be guaranteed!
I, for one, was sad to accept hp inflation that seems to be happening in new cars. Mercedes with 500 plus horses?
At this point, with minor mod, 90s ZR-1's spanking ability is virtually guaranteed!
I for one will spend my money on restoration, engine mod, and gasoline.
Furthermore, as we recover economically and people get fed up with efficient "transportation appliances", 90s to 2009 performance cars will develop nostalgic, mythological values as we have for hemis, 428, 429 Fords and big rat block motored muscle cars.

HERE HERE!
Old 06-03-2009   #20
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Ahem! As I said: I think the price for Vettes just doubled! I made the mistake (once) of selling my 69 Chevelle SS 396 for $500 to buy a station wagon POS. And, I never stopped kickin' myself for that "brain fart". It's not gonna happen this time around!

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote