ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-15-2020   #11
Hib Halverson

Default Re: SuperPro Bushings back in stock at C&S!!!

Ok. I stand corrected on SuperPro bushings. When they're used in the rear arms, they must be soft enough to allow the arms to rotate as they move up and down.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021   #12
Norwegianmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
The advertisement at that link says:I visited the "Super Pro Suspension Parts" web site and it says about the material used in the company's bushings:
and
So..."Prez1967" how can Super Pro bushings be "better than polyurethane if they are, in fact, polyurethane?

My experience with Polyurethane control arm bushings has been that, unless they are graphite-impregnated, at best, they will squeak in cool, damp weather and may squeak all the time. I've even had graphite-inpregnated urethane bushings squeak when driven in cold, wet weather.

For a C4, ZR1 or otherwise, which is a show car, waxer or just a "driver" there is not reason to use anything other than OE rubber or good quality rubber replacements.

Now if you are an aggressive street driver or a track rat, obviously you want control arm bushings with less compliance. In that case, there are three choices.

At the low end of the price range and the ease-of-installation range, you have polyurethane. If you go that route, the only way to go if the C4 is both street and track, is graphite-impregnated urethane in the front control arms.

The second choice would be a track-only option and that is replacing front bushings with metallic control arm bearings and rear bushings with spherical bearings. The cost is, obviously, more than urethane, but you'll have zero compliance at the control arm pivot points. Metallic suspension bearings transmit all road noise and harshness to the chassis and into the interior so, while they can by used on the street, you'd better be ready for a lot of noise and teeth-chattering harshness.

The third choice is the delrin/aluminum composite suspension bearing marketed by Global West Suspension in the front control arms. You get a significant reduction in compliance compared to rubber and an additional slight reduction in compliance compared to urethane. Global's "Del-Alum" parts never squeak because they have lube fittings. The "Del-Alum" also is a suspension bearing not a bushing. Lastly, it has a very slight amount of compliance which mitigates noise and harshness to a certain extent.

With one exception, every car to which I've installed aftermarket control arm "bushings" has been equipped with the Global West Del-Alum. The only exception was a Datsun 510 and a Chevy Beretta I once owned. At the time, Global did not have a Del-Alum design either application. The Del-Alum also has pretty darn good durability as long as they are lubed every so often. I had a set on the '65 Malibu project car I owned from the late-70s until 2012. It's Del-Alums had over 100,000 miles on them with no adverse wear.

With all that said, there are still going to be some C4 owners who will insist on urethane. If that's the case, keep in mind that you can only use polyurethane in the front control arms, the stabilizer bar mounts, the stabilizer bar links, the damper mounts and the rear spring insolators.

Do not use poly in the rear trailing arms or the strut rods because, as the C4 suspension moves, those parts rotate and well as moving vertically. Polyurethane is so stiff that it resists the normal rotation of those parts causing the rear suspension to bind as it nears the ends of its travel. Worse yet, with urethane in the rear arms, the suspension rate is not consistent. Because the more a urethane-bushed rear arm rotates, the more the urethane resists that rotation, the car is less predictable driven at the limit. This is especially true at corner entry and corner exit. Bottom line, in the C4 rear, you need to use either stock rubber or spherical bearings. Neither Urethane nor even the fabled Global West Del-Alum should not be used in C4 rear arms.
Hib,

if I understand you right this kit is not recommended to use?

http://www.bde-systems.com/1984-1996...-complete-kit/

Sent from my SM-G955F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1994 ZR-1 #112 Admiral Blue/Black
Dana 4:10
Aluminum flywheel
Corsa exhaust
Watson headers
Haibeck chip
470 HP/399 RWHP

1991 ZR-1 #400 White/Red (SOLD)
Powder coated engine
Haibeck performance chip
Borla exhaust
Norwegianmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021   #13
Norwegianmopar

Here is a good video where the quality is explained.

https://youtu.be/4e4CtEwjOnk

Aluminum flywheel
Corsa exhaust
Watson headers
Haibeck chip
470 HP/399 RWHP

Powder coated engine
Haibeck performance chip
Borla exhaust
Norwegianmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021   #14
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
I thought you mentioned "lubrication". Do the Super Pro bushings have lube fitttings? Or, do they come with a plastic pouch of lube you squeeze into them during the installation process?

Finally, my name is "Hib" not "Hub".
I agree that polyurethane bushings are often not a great solution, and minus some make/model specific issues, are almost never the solution for a daily driver. My wife's Acura for instance has a horizontal rubber bushing that rips as soon as it's installed and driven due to tension and mediocre aftermarket rubber. The poly bushing I put in is going strong.

That being said, the silicon lube provided with almost all polyurethane bushings doesn't wash out, dry up, or need replaced. By the time you would have to re-lube, the bushings would be shot anyway.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #15
Erik

And they are sold out again. Crap timing, as I'm just about to swap my springs.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #16
conesare2seconds

Check Eckler?s, Eric. I was able to find them there the last time C&S was sold out.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021   #17
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by conesare2seconds View Post
Check Eckler?s, Eric. I was able to find them there the last time C&S was sold out.
Thanks!
I'll have a look.

Old 06-07-2021   #18
rush91

My bushings from them have been backordered since March 15th....
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021   #19
Erik

And they actually have them in stock. My set just arrived. Hope to have them installed ASAP.

Old 11-15-2021   #20
Norwegianmopar

I just bought a set from Ecklers in case anyone is looking.

Aluminum flywheel
Corsa exhaust
Watson headers
Haibeck chip
470 HP/399 RWHP

Powder coated engine
Haibeck performance chip