ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-11-2008   #11
Lowflight

Default Re: If I get the Samco Hoses, Does it Replace ALL Hoses AND Does It Include New Clamp

Just need the clamp coolant ones. I just hope that whoever I bought them from the Store has them in stock
Lowflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #12
A1990

Default Re: If I get the Samco Hoses, Does it Replace ALL Hoses AND Does It Include New Clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflight
Just need the clamp coolant ones. I just hope that whoever I bought them from the Store has them in stock
Harold check with Mike. I bought two different sets. One was from the store. He should have most of that one left.
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #13
rkreigh

Default Re: If I get the Samco Hoses, Does it Replace ALL Hoses AND Does It Include New Clamps?

guinnessdood@yahoo.com

Uly handles the hoses. we don't keep LOTS of them in stock but last time I checked we did have black.

I emailed him and you to check. please be patient, he just had a new addition to the family.

keep in mind these are HARD to find in stock and we give a pretty nice discount in comparison to the "for profit" folks.

just another service the club brings.

one more thing, I converted over the samco and have noticed a "coolant vapor" smell when running the car hard. I think that the silicone swells a bit and I think the factory spring clamps MAY be better. everyone thinks GM did this to be cheap *which is true* but I think the factory clamps may actually work better.

just be sure to get the clamp tool, they are a bear to get to!!

anyone else notice this??? not a big deal, but annoying. I get a "leaky radiator smell" when driving, but don't really lose much coolant and can't see any leaking anywhere. I didn't notice this until I had a few thousand miles on the samco, snugged up the clamps a bit, got a bit better, but still have the problem.

I will say this, the aviation clamps we sell are really nice, they are designed to not dig into the hoses, but my bet is that the factory clamps would work just as well, if not better. the good news is that the samco hoses will likely last the life of the car.

blowing a hose and overheating an LT5 can be the death of a head gasket pretty quick.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #14
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh
blowing a hose and overheating an LT5 can be the death of a head gasket pretty quick.
Having three gallons of coolant dump onto the front and rear tires when accelerating hard hopefully wouldn't be the death of anything else!

As to the smell, I've never noticed any coolant smell except when I first put them on. One of the clamps was on crooked and was allowing coolant to spray past, once I fixed it, it's been fine. I used the stock sprung clamps though. I don't know why everyone hates them!
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #15
Lowflight

Thanks Ron. I will keep both clamps in mind. It isn't like the ones on the forum were too much for me to bear. I hope they can ship out soon.
Old 02-14-2008   #16
tomtom72

Default Re: If I get the Samco Hoses, Does it Replace ALL Hoses AND Does It Include New Clamps?

I used the ideal type clamps, worm screw type clamps, when I did my samco kit and I get the "coolant smell". I recently went around & checked all the clamps w/my 1/4" rachet and a 5/16 socket....I found that they were all loose by about a turn. You may want to try that Ron. I had my hand up at the rachet head when I took up the turn so as not to have too much leverage, ya know & distort the clamp.

Harold, go to the pats store & get the tool for the sprung clamps, the version with the long cable. The sprung clamps were the factory soloution to the "coolant smell" complaint about the previously used ideal type clamp. I should have reused my OE clamps, hindsight is always 20/15!

The OE clamps take up slack automatically, kind of self-adjusting as the hose end goes thru heat cycles. The screw type ones obviously can't do that.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #17
guinnessdood

I have found that the clamps we are recommending (and selling in the Nte Registry Store) with the Coolant Hoses do need to be tightened after some break in time. not sure how long but if you see coolant dripping...I guess it's time. I had to tighten mine as well.

The Coolant Hose Set contains 6 (SIX) coolant hoses. The coolant hose clamp kit contains 12 (TWELVE) clamps....makes sense doesn't it?

I think you would be VERY hard pressed to find these hoses for a better price and also be able to get them as quickly as we can. Our supplier is the largest distributor of Samco in the U.S. If you have any "special needs" regarding Samco stuff...we are now considered a Samco Dealer...so just drop me an e-mail and I'll see if I can help you out. This would be for MEMEBERS ONLY as well...

Ron brings up a valid point about the "other hoses". Would there be interest in getting these hoses from Samco as well? If we provide them with a sample, they can provide us with the hoses. If someone knows the exact dimensions I can work it that way as well. If someone wants to provide the samples...I can get pricing from Samco.

I would like to get the Samco Breather Box hoses added to our store but that is highly unlikely since Kurt (White) had them made (I think it may be an exclusive deal with Samco?) and is selling them...if there is enough interest..I will look into it though.

On another note...what about some new clamps for the Air Duct (Samco or original style)? Would anyone like to be able to get new clamps for their Air Ducts?

If you guys have other ideas about other Samco hoses that we could use...please share them!
Past OWNER 90 ZR-1 #0120 Red/Saddle
UT Plate: EZR1DER
guinnessdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #18
32valvZ

I've been waiting since 1-11-08, when I placed my order for the Red air duct hose. Will the coolant hoses take a long time also? I want them in red also.
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #19
guinnessdood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvZ
I've been waiting since 1-11-08, when I placed my order for the Red air duct hose. Will the coolant hoses take a long time also? I want them in red also.
Are you Mr. Mills? If so..send me an e-mail. guinnessdood@yahoo.com
Past OWNER 90 ZR-1 #0120 Red/Saddle
UT Plate: EZR1DER
guinnessdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #20
Lowflight

Got Everything today!! Thanks Bill