ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-21-2008   #11
ZR1Vette

Default Re: Commentary Post fluid changes>>>

The cleaner is removed via the resevoir but about a gallon of the new PS fluid is pumped in and removed thus displacing the cleaner (all this is done while engine is running and PS unit is pumping so rack, lines and resevoir/pump are all cleaned and new PS fluid installed)
Michael
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #12
tomtom72

Hey Mike thanks for the response!

I'll have to look up BG and see who around my neck o the woods does that treatment.....till then I'll keep at it with the turkey baster....it's just so slow & tedious. Seems like I never get caught up with that job!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #13
bradslt5

i know the feeling ,but it keeps me busy on cold nights
bradslt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #14
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1Vette
The cleaner is removed via the resevoir but about a gallon of the new PS fluid is pumped in and removed thus displacing the cleaner (all this is done while engine is running and PS unit is pumping so rack, lines and resevoir/pump are all cleaned and new PS fluid installed)
Michael
Hey Michael, not to nitpick or belabor it... But that's like if you had a container with salt water in it. If you could only remove it by pumping half of it out, and re-filling with fresh water, how many times would you have to do that until there was no salt in the water?

Personally I hate flush products for that reason. It can be extremely hard to ensure they are completely removed, and often times they are corrosive to the systems they are used in. Just my opinion though. And the risk may depend on the system. Coolant flush left in the coolant might be no big deal as it just rushes through big passages and such, what can it really hurt? ATF flush fluid left in your automatic might be a big deal as there is a lot of sensitive stuff it can corrode.

Anyway, like I said, just an opinion. Personally I'd play it safe and just flush with fresh power steering fluid as you have been doing Tom.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote