ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-25-2016   #11
rush91

Default Re: vacuum issues,....

Sorry to throw this off topic, but as I was looking at vacuum pump, I saw this.....I didn't have my manuals and it was getting dark at storage unit. What is it and shouldnt it be plugged in??

Last edited by rush91; 04-25-2016 at 06:44 PM.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #12
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
Sorry to throw this off topic, but as I was looking at vacuum pump, I saw this.....I didn't have my manuals and it was getting dark at storage unit. What is it and shouldnt it be plugged in??
I have to look but that could be the under hood lights which most guys disconnect. If it was getting dark at storage unit with ignition on and hood up you prolly have those under hood lights disconnected

Did the Vacuum Pump run for a few seconds and then shut off for how many seconds?
If it ran and then shut off and ran again you are good to go and any vacuum leaks (depending on how long the vacuum pump rests) can be fixed at a later date with no loss in secondary function.

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-25-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #13
rush91

Quote:
Well I disconnected the battery for a minute.....got back in car turn ignition on but didn't start the car. The vacuum pump was loud and working, and the code 09 reset. Can't be THAT easy of fix......rechecking all I can.

Well got WAY ahead of myself.......I let the car sit and idle, after about 10/minutes backed her back into storage unit. Went to restart and turned ignition and no vacuum pump. It buzzed for about 1 second and that's all. The 09 code reset, and remains so.
Old 04-26-2016   #14
Johnny5

i have a vacuum pump I am selling if you are interested. PM if soi
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016   #15
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I have to look but that could be the under hood lights which most guys disconnect. If it was getting dark at storage unit with ignition on and hood up you prolly have those under hood lights disconnected

Did the Vacuum Pump run for a few seconds and then shut off for how many seconds?
If it ran and then shut off and ran again you are good to go and any vacuum leaks (depending on how long the vacuum pump rests) can be fixed at a later date with no loss in secondary function.
After disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting it, turned ignition on. The pump ran as always for about 3-5 seconds and shut off. Car ran for about 10-15 minutes, then I shut it off. Went back to turn ignition on, and nothing.......No 3-5 second priming. The vacuum pump buzzed faintly for a second if that. I will go tonight with a flashlight, test all fittings without plenum pull. I'm just confused with what is going on. How can the pump run perfect after disconnecting the battery, then 15 minutes later nothing??

Last edited by rush91; 04-26-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2016   #16
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
i have a vacuum pump I am selling if you are interested. PM if soi
I might be interested, going back tonight to run some tests.
Old 04-26-2016   #17
Dynomite

Quote:
After disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting it, turned ignition on. The pump ran as always for about 3-5 seconds and shut off. Car ran for about 10-15 minutes, then I shut it off. Went back to turn ignition on, and nothing.......No 3-5 second priming. The vacuum pump buzzed faintly for a second if that. I will go tonight with a flashlight, test all fittings without plenum pull. I'm just confused with what is going on. How can the pump run perfect after disconnecting the battery, then 15 minutes later nothing??
One of those anomilies that is hard to diagnose. If the Vacuum Pump ran perfectly and next time buzzed faintly....that sounds like a Pump issue. The easiest is to stick in a good pump to see if that runs. Nice to have a spare pump anyway. Sometimes the "stick in a good part" works easiest to isolate Anomilies.

I would first check voltage at the pump to make sure you have 12 volts and to make sure that voltage is not varying. The car will run fine without vacuum pump unless you have the power key on and you are in a mode where the secondaries will function. Then you will notice not as much power as you are prolly used to (when Plenum Vacuum is low and Power Key ON).

Check voltage at the Vacuum Pump Electrical Connector and if you have 12 volts, plug connector into the Vacuum pump. Now disconnect the Vacuum line from the pump ....which the pump should run continuously with vacuum line disconnected. (Key ON)

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-26-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2016   #18
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
One of those anomilies that is hard to diagnose. If the Vacuum Pump ran perfectly and next time buzzed faintly....that sounds like a Pump issue. The easiest is to stick in a good pump to see if that runs. Nice to have a spare pump anyway. Sometimes the "stick in a good part" works easiest to isolate Anomilies.

I would first check voltage at the pump to make sure you have 12 volts and to make sure that voltage is not varying. The car will run fine without vacuum pump unless you have the power key on and you are in a mode where the secondaries will function. Then you will notice not as much power as you are prolly used to (when Plenum Vacuum is low and Power Key ON).

Check voltage at the Vacuum Pump Electrical Connector and if you have 12 volts, plug connector into the Vacuum pump. Now disconnect the Vacuum line from the pump ....which the pump should run continuously with vacuum line disconnected. (Key ON)
I will check the voltage, need to get autometer first. But I haven't noticed any lag in power or stumbling with the power key on. I get the same kick in the pants at 3000RPM as always. The car runs/ idles smooth as silk with power key on.
Old 04-28-2016   #19
Tripler

Hey guys . Our newly purchased 1995 ZR-1 definitely has a vacuum leak as the pump keeps clicking every 3 to 5 secs . There are no fault codes on the dash and the car runs quite well . Will this leak be an issue for our drive to BG ?

Thanks

Mike

PS just read through the vacuum leak tech section . Thanks Dynomite . I will do the leak test prior to a removal of the plenum to at least confirm if the leak is not under the LT5's monster intake plenum ,,,

Last edited by Tripler; 04-28-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016   #20
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Hey guys . Our newly purchased 1995 ZR-1 definitely has a vacuum leak as the pump keeps clicking every 3 to 5 secs . There are no fault codes on the dash and the car runs quite well . Will this leak be an issue for our drive to BG ?

Thanks

Mike

PS just read through the vacuum leak tech section . Thanks Dynomite . I will do the leak test prior to a removal of the plenum to at least confirm if the leak is not under the LT5's monster intake plenum ,,,

Your 95' will drive fine as long as the vacuum pump DOES stop for a few seconds. Actually you could drive the Z without power switch on (like power switch was NOT on) for a long time with no issues. With FULL POWER The vacuum pump will just be working a lot harder which it prolly has for a long time.

For my 95' I installed Jerry's Secondary Vacuum System and now have zero vacuum leaks. It is amazing when you inspect original vacuum systems how many of the connectors actually leak.

Same goes with Jerry's PVC System new rubber components (one tube with dual PVC inlets, two Injector Housing Ls, and one Dual Connector on top of the Dual PVCs). NO MORE Nylon Ties, and NO MORE Hose clamps.

1995 LT5 SPECIFIC TOP END REBUILD TRICKS
A 1995 Top End was rebuilt and best tricks linked here

Post 230 - 1995 LT5 SPECIFIC TOP END REBUILD TRICKS

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-28-2016 at 07:51 AM.