ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 08-15-2011   #11
JThomas

Default Re: Ron Fellows sucks as a driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
I'll get on mine. If you look at the bar that has been set as an inductee, I think Ron clearly exceeds it.

Some of the "Hall of Fame" folks that I find ridiculous are the ones who never did anything to improve the Corvette. They were simply involved with founding the museum:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/librar...ttaglini.shtml

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/librar...f/bowlin.shtml

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/librar...rookmyer.shtml

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/librar...hof/gale.shtml

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/librar...mcmanmon.shtml

Has Ron Fellows done more to improve Corvette than those guys? I'd say hell yes. He's been instrumental in several LeMans wins, he's been a very down-to-earth face of Corvette Racing, and he's helped establish credibility for Corvette as a performance car in every meaning of the word.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's great these guys went above and beyond to get the museum going. But I don't think that is museum-worthy, almost by definition.

What other HOF's are like that? Does the pro football hall of fame include the guy who secured the museum land grant?? Next to Babe Ruth's jersey in Cooperstown, is there a blazer and khaki pants hanging of the guy who filed for 501(c)(3) tax-deductible status for the museum?? Give me a break...
Bob:

If you have someone you believe is worthy of the Hall of Fame at the National Corvette Museum, nominate them. The process is somewhat lengthy, but not overwhelming. I've actually made a nomination myself of a Corvette Enthusiast. Collecting all of the supporting documents and endorsement letters is the hard part. The form can be obtained by going to the museum's website, www.corvettemuseum.com
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #12
MikeGolf

Fellows finished 29th after starting 38th so he passed 9 cars, but 8 cars dropped out due to mechanical or wrecks. I will say he did finish on the lead lap. He just proved what I said before the race started. He can't compete aganst real drivers, in cars where you have to drive on a road course where he claims and teaches to be an expert. Now I ask the question...Is O'Connell the one that really did the majority of the real racing to get the wins and is Fellows just the front man?
'93 #166 Black Rose
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #13
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
Fellows finished 29th after starting 38th so he passed 9 cars, but 8 cars dropped out due to mechanical or wrecks. I will say he did finish on the lead lap. He just proved what I said before the race started. He can't compete aganst real drivers, in cars where you have to drive on a road course where he claims and teaches to be an expert. Now I ask the question...Is O'Connell the one that really did the majority of the real racing to get the wins and is Fellows just the front man?
you're missing the point. you're throwing a guy into a new car with a new team for one race. it's like throwing you into a new office doing the same job and expecting you to rock out with your **** out. I don't know why you insist on basing your opinion of the man off what he does in one race in a series that is mainly turning left. Lemans is seen by everyone as the greatest motor race in history and he's done well there, who cares what he does in nascar. Dale Sr. and Jr are awful drivers because they couldn't win in the C5.R when they raced it.

Ron was instrumental in the c5.r and c6.r programs and they would not have won without him. There's a reason Chevy gave him his own option package for the vette. Without him there wouldn't be a z06
Old 08-15-2011   #14
MikeGolf

I am basing my opion off of what he does on a road course not an oval. I would expect him to at least to finish in the top 50%. The attendance records prove which series most people see as the greatest motor race in history. The Earnhardt were brought in to bring intrest to the series not to have them compete regularly. Remeber it's not the car, it's the people.

As for the Corvette Fellows has been a great promoter of the car. I didn't see GM choice him to test the ZR! at Nurburgring. I'm glad to know he developed the Z06, though, I didn't know that.

I'm off of my soap box.Kevin we agree on the ZR-1 and that's all that matter's here. For that I'll buy you a beer any day. Jeff
'93 #166 Black Rose
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

Last edited by MikeGolf; 08-18-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Edit
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #15
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThomas View Post
Bob:

If you have someone you believe is worthy of the Hall of Fame at the National Corvette Museum, nominate them. The process is somewhat lengthy, but not overwhelming. I've actually made a nomination myself of a Corvette Enthusiast. Collecting all of the supporting documents and endorsement letters is the hard part. The form can be obtained by going to the museum's website, www.corvettemuseum.com
I don't know if you missed the point I was making completely? Or you are just telling me as an aside that it's possible to nominate people?

I am saying I think it's silly that the Corvette Museum's Hall of Fame includes people whose only accomplishment was helping set up the Corvette Museum.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #16
tomtom72

Not to be offensive to any one.....this reminds me of that scene in the movie "Days of Thunder"

"You're used to driving cars that weigh 1/2 as much, with tires that are twice as wide......"

Gone are the days, and I know you remember them Mike, where cross class racing success was not uncommon. I give you Mario Andretti, F1 & USAC & NASCAR; A. J. Foyt, NASCAR & USAC & FIA endurance ( Ford LeMans program);
and more recently Tony Stewart, NASCAR & IndyCar; Robby Gordon, IndyCar & NASCAR.

I think that the advancements in each class have diverged each class to such a degree that the kinds of success like back in the "day" are not possible any longer on a "one time" basis. Also, as late as the early 90's NASCAR teams almost "wrote off" the two road course events save the real top teams. In more recent times even the second and third tier teams have their drivers go to "school" and even test at road courses because you can't afford to "throw away" those two races any longer.

JMHO, but the NASCAR driver today probably is better at hustling a stock car around a road course than ever before, and I think they are much harder to pass than they used to be on road courses by the "ringers".

I know you listened to Tony speak about the brakes on the McLaren F1 car....he said he never found the limit going into a corner. On a road course mostly it's about chassis and brakes.....motor is important, but not nearly as important as the other two. A road course driver in a NASCAR is like a fish out of water. JMHO.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #17
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
Well, except he has competed against real drivers in cars where you have to drive on a road course. As evidenced by his success in ALMS.

Also, you point out a time he finished poorly. I bet every driver in NASCAR has had a poor finish. Fellows also finished as high as 2nd at Watkins Glen.

It sounds like you are trying to suggest his whole ALMS career was a fluke, any success in NASCAR was a fluke, and the only things that were a real test of his driving skill were the times he finished poorly in NASCAR.

I'd also add, Ron never raced for a team for a season. So it's not like he was familiar with the team, the car, anything. And I would bet most of the time, he's not coming in as a hired gun for a top-running team.

But you say NASCAR must be the pinnacle of motorsport, because it has the highest TV ratings (not worldwide, of course) or whatever. Well, if the pinnacle of motorsport still brings Fellows in as a road course wringer, doesn't that mean he must be a pretty decent driver?

As an aside, it seems like you disapprove of his HoF induction. I think his accomplishments with Corvette Racing carry infinite more weight than his NASCAR record when it comes to the Corvette HoF.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #18
JThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
I don't know if you missed the point I was making completely? Or you are just telling me as an aside that it's possible to nominate people?

I am saying I think it's silly that the Corvette Museum's Hall of Fame includes people whose only accomplishment was helping set up the Corvette Museum.
No I didn't miss your point, and yes I was simply telling you as a side that it is possible to nominate people. I understand that it seems a lot people in the Hall of Fame were instrumental in its beginnings, but you have to understand the museum is 17 years old and of course they are going to recognize those that helped get it started.

As a board member for the last two years, I have seen this process and would agree, it would be nice to see someone outside of the NCM circle awarded this honor.

For the record, honorees to the National Corvette Museum Hall of Fame fall into one of three categories, GM/Chevrolet related, Corvette Racing, Enthusiast.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #19
Z51JEFF

I have no idea how Ron Fellows would stack up against a NASCAR driver and frankly I could care less.What Id like to know is how the hell did he get G.M. to name a car after him?I had NEVER heard of Ron Fellows until The RF Z06 came out and I bought my first Corvette 25 years ago and have been reading Corvette magazines at least ever since.Oh,as far as his driving skills go he should at least be able to beat Jr.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #20
Mystic ZR-1

There's no distinction in beating Jr!!!
Almost everyone beats him every week!!!
If it wasn't for his late daddy's name (rest his soul), he'd be running and losing at short tracks in the boonies of North Carolina...
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote