ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-20-2017   #11
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: Garage lift recommendations?

Currently own an Auto lifters and a Backyard Buddy.
Autolifters out of Kansas is no longer in business, but this lift appears to be of a design that Backyard Buddy closely followed.

Both lifts have very robust posts with positive locks that engage the posts in such a way as to lock everything together in a method that makes me feel very safe when working underneath it, unlike other lifts that i have seen.

These lifts are sturdy enough that each can be moved on casters even when loaded, and neither requires bolting to the floor, again, a very clear confirmation of their sturdiness.

My choice then is Backyard Buddy.

I will also say that I inspected a newer manufacturer that was displayed at Corvettes at Carlisle that also appeared equally robust.
I will see if I have their information saved somewhere.

Lastly, a general statement should be that economy is far less important than safety when discussing automotive lifts.
While many are very good, I don't want good, I want the best, strictly from a safety viewpoint.

Good Luck in your selection!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #12
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
I have a extended height Backyard buddy, Superior Lift, and a Atlas. All 4 post lifts. The BYB is the best made, followed by the superior, then the atlas. I built the garage with scissor truss for the extra clearance Some random pics

What are you doing to the coupe?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #13
RichS

Sorry for the huge pics....
38 Ford deluxe.. Project with my Dad. Replaced the floor, firewall, front cab corners, getting new Flathead, wiring harness........ Was suppose to be floor and motor but it has snowballed! It's now up my dads for the paintwork, then back to my garage to start reassemble.
1994 ZR-1 #198, sold
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48400173802_2a6f122cfb_n.jpg[/IMG]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]96 GrandSport#857[/COLOR],[COLOR=Red]Red Gut[/COLOR]
397 LT4, AFR heads,3:90 gears, DRM longtubes, Sepanek 700R4, Yank 3600, bla-bla...
Best ET w/396 & 6-speed 11.02 @126.57 w/1.60 60'
Best ET w/396 & 700r4 10.82 @124.87 w/1.48 60'
2003 DarkShadowGray Ford Lightning 460rwhp/550rwtq 12.11 @112.18 w/1.71 60'
RichS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #14
BigJohn

Quote:
Sorry for the huge pics....
38 Ford deluxe.. Project with my Dad. Replaced the floor, firewall, front cab corners, getting new Flathead, wiring harness........ Was suppose to be floor and motor but it has snowballed! It's now up my dads for the paintwork, then back to my garage to start reassemble.

Cool,
I love thirty's cars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (72.2 KB, 25 views)
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #15
aafc

I have an auto lifter brought new in 1999 in my garage. Over the last 17 years i have replaced two sets of pulleys. I used back yard buddy's pulleys
as auto lifters are out of business . The cables are showing signs of wear and are being ordered from SVI International as Back yard buddy has no cables for
Auto lifter's lift. I should get them in about 2 to 3 weeks.(first time Rpl).
Auto lifter is a 110 v 6,000 lbs 4 post and never been fasten down. it came with 3 drip trays, jack bridge and oil drain container on wheels. Back then it cost about $2700.00 including shipping. If it was not for a 4 post lift i may never have installed an auto transmission in my ZR-1. It also came in handy when i removed my hood to install the hood window.

John
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #16
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
What are you doing to the coupe?

Rich,
Your Backyard Buddy in that picture reveals that you are not sitting on the locks, as the one seen is not engaged.
You are supported by the hydraulics, which over time, allow it to lower.
I have the same extra height BYB lift, and occasionally it fails to rise all the way to engage the locks fully at the highest notch, just like yours is showing.

While the locks would engage if something failed, it might give you heart failure if it does so unexpectedly, especially if it happens while you are there.

Although the cross bar limits access somewhat to the freezer in front of mine unless I take it to the highest notch, I back down to the next one ( which yours is at the top of) to mechanically lock it in place as an extra precaution.

You may be aware of this already, but if not, just trying to be helpful.

Marty

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 03-20-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2017   #17
Dafink

Stupid question, is it bad to store a car in the air when supported by the frame and it the wheels? I can get a good used two post bendpak but it allows the wheels to hang down freely. I imagine this is not good for the suspension

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Dafink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #18
RichS

Since I built the new garage I never readjusted the cables 100%. Then got the 3rd lift and moved it again. It locked in my old garage, but I had to put washers under cable ends. When I park my Lightning under it, it has to be up all the way pulling in. I really should lower it to the locks, but it hasn't dropped a mm in the 17 years I've had it. I do have a bad habit of not always locking it. I know there's always a first time and should stop the bad habit..

How long have you had your BB? Have you noticed it being slower going up or down then it was new? I wonder if there is a screen or strainer in one of the lines that's blocked up a little. I use the heck out of my lifts and not just for storage. I try to oil all the pulleys and check the cables at least once a year.
1994 ZR-1 #198, sold
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48400173802_2a6f122cfb_n.jpg[/IMG]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]96 GrandSport#857[/COLOR],[COLOR=Red]Red Gut[/COLOR]
397 LT4, AFR heads,3:90 gears, DRM longtubes, Sepanek 700R4, Yank 3600, bla-bla...
Best ET w/396 & 6-speed 11.02 @126.57 w/1.60 60'
Best ET w/396 & 700r4 10.82 @124.87 w/1.48 60'
2003 DarkShadowGray Ford Lightning 460rwhp/550rwtq 12.11 @112.18 w/1.71 60'
RichS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #19
QB93Z

I am very happy with my BendPack HD9.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #20
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Since I built the new garage I never readjusted the cables 100%. Then got the 3rd lift and moved it again. It locked in my old garage, but I had to put washers under cable ends. When I park my Lightning under it, it has to be up all the way pulling in. I really should lower it to the locks, but it hasn't dropped a mm in the 17 years I've had it. I do have a bad habit of not always locking it. I know there's always a first time and should stop the bad habit..

How long have you had your BB? Have you noticed it being slower going up or down then it was new? I wonder if there is a screen or strainer in one of the lines that's blocked up a little. I use the heck out of my lifts and not just for storage. I try to oil all the pulleys and check the cables at least once a year.
Rich,
Both lifts are 10 years old. the Autolifters is the same high height as the BYB, but is wider and longer, and carries a heavier load rating.
My lifts are mostly used for storage. Likely not cycled more than 10 times a year. I have no degradation of the speed, other than I went with 110 instead of 220, so mine are slow to begin with, which I actually now prefer, as it gives me added time to make sure all is correct, unlike the time I lowered it on the corner of my roof cart and screwed up the wheel.

I have forced myself into the habit of mechanically locking it by lowering it onto the locks. A good habit to have. However, doing this causes the cables to slacken a bit when not used often, so I have to remember to start it slowly to make sure nothing gets out of its track.
So I guess I substitute one problem for another.

I do believe you could hit any post with a car, and not have failure, as both are very strong.

The locks on both could likely support a semi with ease.

p.s. nice garage!!!

Marty