ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-10-2014   #11
A26B

Default Re: Replacing the in tank fuel stuff w/current tech

Obviously, I don't know how GM does it and I'm darn sure not a GM size company either....BUT...... When I spec an item or a job, it's done so with all relative parameters which include not only size & material, but finish, relative ASME, API, and other engineering, material & manufacturing standards. Done right, there's nothing left to vary except price. Quality follows the specifications. I would expect GM does this also.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #12
Harvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Obviously, I don't know how GM does it and I'm darn sure not a GM size company either....BUT...... When I spec an item or a job, it's done so with all relative parameters which include not only size & material, but finish, relative ASME, API, and other engineering, material & manufacturing standards. Done right, there's nothing left to vary except price. Quality follows the specifications. I would expect GM does this also.
In the ideal world it should work that way.

I might point out A FEW PRIME EXAMPLES OF JUST THE OPPOSITE currently and in the past DIRECTLY from GM, that current little ignition switch problem comes to mind. Then there were all the cars from 1970s and 80s that caused GM to lose 50% of their market share because they fell apart faster than the warranty expired. How bout those 350 diesels....

Plus that little bankruptcy where they stuck their long term bond holders and gave it all to the unions. Then they stuck the Govt with 8-9 billion dollar loss (ThaT B US).

GM has a history of using "just good enough to get it out the door " that they will never recover from in our lifetimes.

If you buy knowing that, you will not be disappointed and just repair the faults as they pop up, if they don't kill you.
[-X show poodles & trailer queens :-({|=
Fast and fun not pretty in pink.
Harvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #13
XfireZ51

Harvie,

I take issue w your statement here, " Plus that little bankruptcy where they stuck their long term bond holders and gave it all to the unions. Then they stuck the Govt with 8-9 billion dollar loss (ThaT B US)."

Really?! How exactly did the union benefit from the GM bankruptcy? This is the wrong forum but frankly I have a problem w statements that dump on blue collar workers.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #14
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvie View Post

Government Motors puts parts out for bid with specs, the lowest bidder gets the contract, not the highest quality, and for every part there are/were higher quality replacements.

my comment is 1000% accurate.

Stock plastic Y fitting is trash can material, I am using a stainelss steel y and tossing that plastic garbage in the trash can.

OMG...Pull your head out, man. It's easy to spend $32 for a SS Y when you're buying one. Try buying 8 million of them and see how it works out for you. I'm glad they didn't spend that or have that mentality on this car or it would've been $350,000 and it never would've been produced to begin with.

Look, I'm probably the biggest GM hater here but even I don't see an argument here. My cheap plastic crap has lasted 20+ years and it's still seems to be ok. I'm not going to get upset because it didn't last 150 years like your SS part that cost 128 times as much.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #15
Harvie

Some chose to feel sorry for the unions, some feel sorry for the bond holders, tax payers of the country, and people who died. All overlook the fact that GM could have chosen to not incure those feelings.

As for me using a more expensive part when I am repairing a cars' fuel system, it is my choice to use steel, titanium, or aluminum vrs plastic everytime allowed, and stainless steel in this case because of the contact with gas, that is my way of doing things.

I would rather spend that 30 bucks now instead of ever having to disassemble the fuel system again. Now, given the option, other owners have that choice. I think of it as a mini insurance policy.

I build/repair things to a higher standard than GMs or any factory automotive bean counter allows, over the years it has proven way cheaper for me in the long run.
Old 09-11-2014   #16
Harvie

After double checking, I would not use that factory Y or any $1-2 fitting to connect new $40 fuel hoses and clamps to new $130 fuel pumps ever.

Realize, I am so very used to using Aeroquip/XRP/GRP stuff that using only one $30 connector part seems like a bargain. If I weren't planning on giving the car away I would have put in a Weldon pump and forgot all that woosey factory stuff anyway.

See, my motors are worth that extra little bit of love.....
Old 09-11-2014   #17
XfireZ51

Quote:
Some chose to feel sorry for the unions, some feel sorry for the bond holders, tax payers of the country, and people who died. All overlook the fact that GM could have chosen to not incure those feelings.

Quote:
I would rather spend that 30 bucks now instead of ever having to disassemble the fuel system again. Now, given the option, other owners have that choice. I think of it as a mini insurance policy....
THIS I can understand. Last thing I want is getting stranded on the road by a $2 part.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #18
Fully Vetted

Quote:

As for me using a more expensive part when I am repairing a cars' fuel system, it is my choice to use steel, titanium, or aluminum vrs plastic everytime allowed, and stainless steel in this case because of the contact with gas, that is my way of doing things.

I would rather spend that 30 bucks now instead of ever having to disassemble the fuel system again. Now, given the option, other owners have that choice. I think of it as a mini insurance policy.

I build/repair things to a higher standard than GMs or any factory automotive bean counter allows, over the years it has proven way cheaper for me in the long run.
That is completely different than you're previous post. I don't think anyone here (except the NCRS guys) miss out on an opportunity to upgrade and make our cars better when there is a repair to do. But, you were blasting GM for not building it this way to begin with.

Now back to the original discussion - Is this Y something that fails over time or just something that should be replaced/upgraded while you are doing the rest of the upgrades? I need to get into why I run out of fuel at 1/4 tank and I think it will end up being the sending unit in the tank. This would be a good time to do this work.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #19
Harvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
That is completely different than you're previous post. I don't think anyone here (except the NCRS guys) miss out on an opportunity to upgrade and make our cars better when there is a repair to do. But, you were blasting GM for not building it this way to begin with.

Now back to the original discussion - Is this Y something that fails over time or just something that should be replaced/upgraded while you are doing the rest of the upgrades? I need to get into why I run out of fuel at 1/4 tank and I think it will end up being the sending unit in the tank. This would be a good time to do this work.

"you were blasting GM for not building it this way to begin with"

Still am always will,they always err on the side of cost over anything else.

It might have added 12-15 to the cost of a $80,000-to as high as 1000,000 car and they chose the cheap plastic part that is soaked in fuel most of the time...cheeeeeeeeppp

it is the prob the float switch going bad.

EB381 Ac Delco pumps are the last updated model of the pumps they used in the orig cars. Plug and play much cheaper then oem alternatives and a improved/better pump.

Now try and explain how 2 pumps pushing fuel into a y into a 5/16 line can flow more than one larger capacity pump pushing fuel thru a 3/8 inch line.

Try this siphon a gal of gass with 1/4 inch hose time it, siphon with 3/8 time it and then wonder WTF were they thinking....or doing????

That is just another one of the GM tradeoffs on these cars.
Old 09-12-2014   #20
phrogs

Try flying on aircraft build by the lowest bidder haha oh if you ever have flown you have!

That's any big manufacture nothing new you know this!

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote