ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-07-2010   #11
TAMMRICH

Default Re: Mis Fire and Back Fire

My car is a 1992 with 59K miles, in the paperwork I have, which goes back to around 20K miles no injectors have been replaced, so that was my first suspect or the O2 sensor. The car is stock. Tom this weekend is not good either but next Saturday is, I'll check out the map sensor hose now I know what I'm looking for, the pictures are great guys, many thx.
What does a set of injectors cost? And what is involved in the install? If the coil has gone out would it still run rough like Im missing a cylinder or two and then somestimes it would run OK?

Thx Richard, thx for the great info everyone.
TAMMRICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #12
TAMMRICH

I checked the map sensor hose and sure enough it has come off the metal tube. I'm looking at it and its about 3/16" dia semi rigid black plastic tube which I cannot get over the flared end of the metal pipe, am I missing something?

Richard
Old 05-08-2010   #13
TAMMRICH

Checking the picture from Jerrys gaskets on Dynamites post Im missing the rubber hose that connects the rigid plastic tube to the flared metal pipe, must blown off when the motor back fired?
Old 05-08-2010   #14
jonszr1

i have to go to san andreas next wed to ck on some property i have there . maybe i could stop by early in the eve and help you ck some stuff out .i have 5 primary inj that are still in great shape .pm me if youd like to see if we can connect.
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #15
C1ANDZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMMRICH View Post
Checking the picture from Jerrys gaskets on Dynamites post Im missing the rubber hose that connects the rigid plastic tube to the flared metal pipe, must blown off when the motor back fired?
Take a flashlight and look down behind the engine, it might have hung up on something instead of falling on the ground. If you find it, you might be able to reattach it after cleaning with patience and a pair of needle nose pliers. I learned this firsthand about a year ago.
C1ANDZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #16
tomtom72

Quote:
Just as a fwiw, autozone sells vacuum fittings in blister packs. I would think that any auto parts store has the same stuff. You can make a complete MAP hose using the parts store as a source for the missing nipple.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #17
TAMMRICH

Ok, I made up a new map sensor hose refitted it, check engine light is now out. I drove the car for about 20minutes and it drove perfectly, pulled like a locomotive! So I'm confused, is it a sign of an injector or coil going bad, are either one of those intermittent when they are going out? Or could it have been stuck behind the parade (actually it was a demonstation by what looked like illegals against the new Arizona immigaration law, welcome to CA!) while the car was cold, fouled up a plug causing the misfire and I didnt give it a chance to clean itself before I stopped the car?

Thx Richard
Old 05-09-2010   #18
tccrab

Quote:
Ok, I made up a new map sensor hose refitted it, check engine light is now out. I drove the car for about 20minutes and it drove perfectly, pulled like a locomotive! So I'm confused, is it a sign of an injector or coil going bad, are either one of those intermittent when they are going out? Or could it have been stuck behind the parade (actually it was a demonstation by what looked like illegals against the new Arizona immigaration law, welcome to CA!) while the car was cold, fouled up a plug causing the misfire and I didnt give it a chance to clean itself before I stopped the car?

Thx Richard
Richard:

Just a WAG (wild azzed guess), but...
I'm guessing you simply heat soaked the engine to the point where a coil or a spark plug wire started to leak voltage which would have caused it to run rough.

I have some spare coils and spark plug wires we can try if it happens again.
In the mean time, drive it like you stole it!!

C Ya!

TomC
'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #19
tomtom72

Okay, another fwiw from the peanut gallery.

I noticed mine doing the same thing upon cold start....making a fuss & missing & carrying on....sooo last week I took out my IAC and gently used some Throttle Body cleaner on a paper towel to clean the junk off of the pintel and then used a soaked old costco M/Fiber towel to clean out the passage that the IAC goes in. Much better after that little bit of housekeeping.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote