ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-08-2005   #11
zr1mom

Hi Guys, do me and everyone a favor and try and keep the pictures size down if you can. It should fit easy in the page. About 1/2 or less the size you see now would be nice. It also makes it easier to view.

Thanks!
NCM Lifetime Member
zr1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #12
go_speed_go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I hate to come off as an ***, but if you would be so kind as to post the last 4 of the vin?
We haven't decided to total it out yet. If getting help here requires giving the number to someone to hold until a description can be given - "parted out", "sold whole", or "repaired/restored", then that's fine. Let me know who maintains the "totalled ZR1 list" and I'll send it to them as long as they don't put it on the list until it can be properly described.

As of now, there won't be any insurance claim regardless of what happens.
go_speed_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #13
go_speed_go

The shop had an update at the end of the day.
The pulled the spark plugs, and turned the motor. They said some water came out, but the motor spun smoothly with no clanking sounds indicating no severe damage yet. Tomorrow they're going to drain the gas tank, put in some good fuel, and see if it will turn over.

If it runs and they think the major drivetrain components are all ok, we'll get a list from them of all the electronics that will need to be replaced. They'll let us supply any parts we can get for less the dealer cost.

They felt the body work on the car was minor and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The body damage amounted to the front nose hitting the small berm/ramp, and a bunch of shallow scratches from going under the chain link fence.

Right now, I'm just hoping for a sound drivetrain. With that, the car will have some residual value if it were to be parted out or sold whole to someone willing to take on the project or parts. Ideally, I'd just love to be able to get the car together and running again, even if it will be listed here as a U-boat.

Thanks again for all the kind responses.
Old 08-08-2005   #14
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_speed_go
We haven't decided to total it out yet. If getting help here requires giving the number to someone to hold until a description can be given - "parted out", "sold whole", or "repaired/restored", then that's fine. Let me know who maintains the "totalled ZR1 list" and I'll send it to them as long as they don't put it on the list until it can be properly described.

I have an unoffical list but if you don't want to share that is fine.
Old 08-09-2005   #15
Jim Jones

I hope it is not as bad as you originally thought. I can't imagine how you feel. Please keep us posted here. I hope you can save the car.

Jim

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/koolaid117/Montage.gif[/IMG]
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #16
go_speed_go

Today, the dealer is going to flush all the fluids and see if the motor will start. The ECM is not quite working, so it thinks the clutch pedal isn't pushed in. They're going to jump that and see what happens. This place is billing like $80-100/hr for what they're doing. The guy ballparked $5K to get everything running, but offered the disclaimer that wiring could corrode over time and cause more problems.

I've contacted Conte's in Vineland, NJ where the car was purchased. They're apparently no stranger to pulling cars apart, checking everything, and reassembling. If the drivetrain turns out to be sound, we might bring the car there for hopefully a little more expertise, and a lower labor rate.

Last edited by go_speed_go; 08-09-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2005   #17
We Gone

Best of luck it getting it all worked out..

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #18
Aurora40

Just curious, but have you considered having a non-dealer shop repair it? It would probably be cheaper or the same in cost, and you'd probably get a better job done if you found a Corvette expert to do the work. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear about your car, though.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #19
ZR1 MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_speed_go
Why no ins claim?
I also emailed you directly since some advice had questionable ethics possibilities.
ZR1 MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #20
go_speed_go

We've asked several people about other shops, but haven't gotten much in response.

A family member works as an agent for the Ins co which has a policy on the car. They were able to look into the fine print without revealing who wanted to know. Bottom line is that if it was a timed event, no coverage .

Secondly, if ins. is notified and it's not covered, they would most likely refuse to insure the car anymore citing water damage should be a total loss and a no longer insurable vehicle.