ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-11-2005   #11
cuisinartvette

Default Re: Possible ZR-1 Purchase

15k sounds pretty fair for the car. Always like the grey interiors too. The fact that it already has some mods ocunts for something too. Best of luck
cuisinartvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #12
ZR-1 Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhi
The price does sound pretty good. I guess that I would have to really have it inspected and drive before purchasing. Could be other "things" wrong that may not be listed. Make sure the tranny is in good working order. No grinding between gears for example. Good luck....
The price is below market... I gotta wonder why
ZR-1 Mack ... 91 ZR1 Black/Black #487 NY
ZR-1 Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #13
cwmoss

I was wondering the same thing too. When I bought mine (94), I did a lot of research, and decided to go with the 405 cars (93-95). See if you can find out if it has the original engine. They had some problems with the early cars, not major, but they did replace some engines.
cwmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #14
DavidMKelly

Thanks for all the comments and tips from everyone. I'll ask about the engine. Is a VIN check worth paying for? Might sound a stupid question but I've no experience of them.

Thanks again
DavidMKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #15
DavidMKelly

I take your point ZR-1 Mack - I'm well aware that when something looks too good to be true it usually is!
Old 12-11-2005   #16
ZR-1 Mack

David,

I wasn't trying to persuade you one way or the other.

If you were close by and could see the car in person it would be alot easier. Like any used car deal... its buyer beware.

If someone on the forum could run a car fax for you, you might find out if it was ever in an accident that went thru insurance.

Before making any trips or having anyone look at the car for you, probably wouldn't hurt to make a list of questions and call the seller . If you're a serious buyer he'll cooperate.
ZR-1 Mack ... 91 ZR1 Black/Black #487 NY
ZR-1 Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #17
tomtom72

Hi Dave & welcome to the madness!

High Anxiety = large dollar purchase from great distances blind! I went thru that with mine & it wasn't fun & I dealt with a straight up person...but how do you know for sure? No answer I can give ya. There might be a Z owner in TX who knows the car, there are a lot of owners in TX, so ask here & at CF/ZR-1 section.

The price could reflect the $ needed to R & R stero plus some "incentive" to overlook the fact that it's not there. JMHO. The rest of the changes are great but if the OE parts were tossed then there is another reason for the reduced price, again JMHO. Most save the OE stuff for the next owner if possible, it sounds better to a larger group of possible buyers. The P & P is a steal!

Talk with the guy & get the scoop on what was done for regular issues for a car with that milage, like water pump, alt., starter, etc. The carfax will tell you if milage is spot on but the collision aspect is only good if it was reported to DMV &/or Ins. Co. but that does help...it's just not the last word. Some states, will for a fee, give you their DMV history on a car registered in that state...I did it with mine from VA. All it told me was what the owner said was true & it listed milage at the state inspection intervals.

Good luck, I wish I had more insight to offer.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 12-12-2005 at 08:13 AM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #18
Jim Jones

Some of the early cars did have engines replaced, but, if I remember correctly, it was because there weren't any certified ZR-1/LT5 techs to work on the cars and it was easier to have the engines replaced. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Also, I liked your website David.

Good luck on the purchase.

Jim

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/koolaid117/Montage.gif[/IMG]
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #19
tomtom72

HI Jim & right on! I forgot that point, thanks for bailing me out!

Yes the LT5 techs were scarce & GM wanted to do the post mortum to see what went wrong so dealers were instructed to just replace the motor & send the broken one back for study by MerCruiser & Lotus engineers.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #20
DavidMKelly

Thanks for the comments everyone and advice. You're absolutely spot on tomtom. It's a lot of money and the distance factors don't help. I've decided that particular car isn't for me. The distance just is too much for me to handle and the car isn't really among my favourite years.

I'm looking at the Quasar Blue one listed on ZR-1 net by Joe Houdeshell from Atlanta GA at the moment and will hopefully be talking to him on the phone once Christmas is gone to discuss things further. That's a 92 with 75000 miles. Closer but still a long way away from me sadly.

Thanks for the comments on my site Jim, glad you liked it. :-)

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Dave