ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-02-2021   #11
TX '90 ZR1

Default Re: Need Advice on what repairs are worth doing before sale

For whatever it is worth, my two cents.
A fully vetted and serviced car will always bring more. If you can say that "everything" works as it should it will bring top dollar. Any item not operating properly just gives the buyer a bargaining tool or an out.
Good luck.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021   #12
dredgeguy

Just depends on how much time and effort you want to put into your car and how fast you want to sell it. Suggest you tell us what you want for the car as is, you might be surprised that one of our members would take it off your hands.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021   #13
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
Just depends on how much time and effort you want to put into your car and how fast you want to sell it. Suggest you tell us what you want for the car as is, you might be surprised that one of our members would take it off your hands.
I think Charlie is right. If I learned one thing from 8 years of selling BMWs (and taking in trades) is that you are almost always better off financially to sell the car as is and let the next buyer (or dealer) take care of the issues. Much depends on how much you hope to get for the car. Price it accordingly and you will sell it without having to go through all the effort to correct the various items. Just do a full disclosure. While TX '90 ZR1 is right that a car without issues will always bring a higher price, there are many knowledgeable ZR-1 buyers out there who want a ZR-1 and would be willing to take on a bit of a project if they felt they were getting a fair price that took the issues into account. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021   #14
Dynomite

Concur with dredgeguy and WARP TEN

in summary.........Fix those issues you want to fix yourself......
If you are a good fixer 😁
The issues you would pay to fix...let the buyer fix.
Price the ZR-1 accordingly.

There are many guys here who would prefer to fix issues themselves and can do it better than the fixer you would hire and in some cases better than your own fixing 👍

Do make sure the ZR-1 inside and out and engine compartment is as clean as it can be and all fluids are full and in good condition

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-03-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021   #15
ram_g

Just BTW, you can buy all 4 FX3 shocks from Rockauto for less than $800 total. A little less than what you're thinking, but every bit helps.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021   #16
rkreigh

fix the fx3, used shocks are CHEAP and many Z brothers go coil over
you can run the late shocks on an early car with the right fx3 controller

I happen to have a complete system off my 95 zr-1. One shock is a bit soft, but serviceable. all the fx3 controllers.

I need $500 for the complete shocks with fx3 controllers
100 for the FX3 controller box (have both early and late)

if you are feeling spendy (hard to find) original Doug Rippie Motorsports with the removable programmable prom to monkey with the shock settings.

I only have a "base prom" for stock shock calibration but it works great and gives some flexibility if you can find the chips (rare)

PM me if interested.

I'd leave the tire pressure stuff alone. not worth the hassle and the stock stuff typically cracks the ears off and bangs around inside the rim (ask me how I know). Kinda freaks you out when you are jammin and the car starts to bang and shake. I'd leave em off the car.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021   #17
remembero323

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
fix the fx3, used shocks are CHEAP and many Z brothers go coil over
you can run the late shocks on an early car with the right fx3 controller

I happen to have a complete system off my 95 zr-1. One shock is a bit soft, but serviceable. all the fx3 controllers.

I need $500 for the complete shocks with fx3 controllers
100 for the FX3 controller box (have both early and late)

if you are feeling spendy (hard to find) original Doug Rippie Motorsports with the removable programmable prom to monkey with the shock settings.

I only have a "base prom" for stock shock calibration but it works great and gives some flexibility if you can find the chips (rare)

PM me if interested.

I'd leave the tire pressure stuff alone. not worth the hassle and the stock stuff typically cracks the ears off and bangs around inside the rim (ask me how I know). Kinda freaks you out when you are jammin and the car starts to bang and shake. I'd leave em off the car.
Good to know about those sensors--they definitely seemed like a waste of time.

I'll think about the shocks--I won't need the controller box, correct? Mine should still be working fine.
remembero323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021   #18
remembero323

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I think Charlie is right. If I learned one thing from 8 years of selling BMWs (and taking in trades) is that you are almost always better off financially to sell the car as is and let the next buyer (or dealer) take care of the issues. Much depends on how much you hope to get for the car. Price it accordingly and you will sell it without having to go through all the effort to correct the various items. Just do a full disclosure. While TX '90 ZR1 is right that a car without issues will always bring a higher price, there are many knowledgeable ZR-1 buyers out there who want a ZR-1 and would be willing to take on a bit of a project if they felt they were getting a fair price that took the issues into account. --Bob

I might just do that--list it and be perfectly candid about the issues, which I think most knowledgeable buyers would know are relatively trivial. I already ordered the radio amp and front license plate cover, so I think I'm already getting to where I need to be.

The car has 43k miles (exactly), Billy Boat exhaust, and the Haibeck chip. Everything is in good working condition, and I have complete service records from the entire history of the car, including the original purchase paperwork and window stickers, etc. I even have the pizza box and VHS tapes. You think listing at $20k is aggressive?
Old 02-04-2021   #19
remembero323

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
I'm in no rush to sell honestly, and I'd like to get about $20k for it. I think that's on the higher end of '90 red on red ZR-1s, but it's realistic. I've got all the service records going back 30 years and the car works great minus the minor issues I mentioned--curb rash on two wheels, Z-51 shock, etc.
Old 02-04-2021   #20
Z51JEFF

At the very least least the CDM controller to the next owner,not worth the grief trying to replace it just to sell the car. Sadly you will put more money into the car but won't get it out. $20,000 for that car sounds about right.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote