ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-30-2020   #11
secondchance

Default Re: Changing Early ZR-1 Instrument Panel to Late One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
The early, digital instrument swap would not be a minor undertaking, I bet.

Aside from coolness, seeing as how I have defeated the key anyway (Haibeck chip), I could just use a stock corvette bezel.

I do prefer the flying buttress look of the earlier interior. Hmmm. Decisions!
Early digital instrument panel (1984 - 1989?) will require early dashboard (flat) and corresponding radio bezel and shifter bezel.
Although I have also owned 84 Z51, I have no idea what mod is involved to make it bolt up to 91 vette.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020   #12
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
I changed mine. I'm running a 96' LT4 cluster. You have to move the LCD screen from the 90' to the later cluster. Luv mine.
Read this to the end...
https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread...hlight=Cluster

H
Duh!
Lt4 Cluster. Brilliant you are.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020   #13
Ccmano

While off topic, I'm also running 96' GS brakes. Looks good but still compatible with stock J55 brakes. I don't race so I don't need big a$$ calipers. Just some bling.
H

90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 11-30-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020   #14
secondchance

Well, long story short - I was offered a deal on Fikse 18? Profil 10s. When I put these on 13? front and 12? rear calipers didn?t quite fill the void inside. That led to 14? and 13? vented disks and needed calipers to bite these rotors. Like I said, it all worked out.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020   #15
Erik

And I thought the stock brakes felt pretty good so far!

Old 12-01-2020   #16
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Just of out of curiosity, has anyone switched a pre-90 digital one into a ZR-1? Must be an even bigger challenge, as there was no production Corvette with a 7000 rpm redlined tach.
No But I swapped the early dash (89) to a later model (1991) in my 89 back in 2002.. lots of work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I believe, most likely, 91 (and perhaps 90) cluster, headlight switch, radio bezel and shifter bezel along with door handle trims can be replaced with 92 (black/yellow) or 93 (black/white?) pieces.
Headlight switch and main cluster for 94 and 95 most likely will plug in as far as I know. However, 94 and 95 radio bezel and shifter bezel will not work due to early cars having flying buttress between the center console and passenger seat.
If you are willing to replace the dash board, you can use 94 and 95 radio bezel and shifter bezel.
Finding 93 to 95 ZR1 specific instrument cluster (because of 7,000 plus rpm) is going to be a challenge and expensive. Also, finding clean ZR1 specific radio bezel with secondary key is going to be a challenge.
If you have time and money, anything is possible.
Even then, splicing in pre-90, all digital instrument would require some electronic wizardry.
Quote:
Hi gents.
Has anyone changed the interior instrument panel from the early orange on grey to the late white on black? I've seen bits and pieces of the changes, like I believe there are some wiring changes between the early gauge cluster and the later one?

Is there a thread somewhere that goes into this? Searched around and didn't come up with anything.
This has my name all over it.. I will attach my pictures here again.. I have a 1990 here is what I did most recently
  • LT4 cluster, there are 2 Warning lights that changed, Door Ajar and Brake maybe. Also the LCD from your 90 is needed ( but is plug and play)
  • 1994-96 Door panels
  • 1994-96 True Vette carpet (Torch Red and Black)
  • 1994-96 Passenger side lower hush (dash pad was modded for it)
  • 1994-96 Driver side console side
  • Hybrid Radio Bezel and Console bezel to fit
  • 1994-96 AC Vents (custom fitted)
  • 1994-96 Sport seats (but look like base seats)
  • All back with white lettering.. all are a direct swap except the LCD of the cluster, also the ASR button is there but not functional

I have a conversion PCB from Batee that allows the 92-96 LCD (however the added functions are not there)

Being we have a 1990 the Power key is easy to add, but I don't have the lettering near it.

I also replaced the DIC with an LCD. there is no black DIC that has the full power light like our 1990. In the pictures I have the splash ZR-1 in Red for full power and White when not. Considering changing it to be off completely with the key off. I printed a bezel adapter to fit the LCD to the bezel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1606699455.972041.jpg (129.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2401.jpg (123.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2402.jpg (98.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2403.jpg (119.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2404.jpg (127.3 KB, 19 views)
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020   #17
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
No But I swapped the early dash (89) to a later model (1991) in my 89 back in 2002.. lots of work..

This has my name all over it.. I will attach my pictures here again.. I have a 1990 here is what I did most recently
  • LT4 cluster, there are 2 Warning lights that changed, Door Ajar and Brake maybe. Also the LCD from your 90 is needed ( but is plug and play)
  • 1994-96 Door panels
  • 1994-96 True Vette carpet (Torch Red and Black)
  • 1994-96 Passenger side lower hush (dash pad was modded for it)
  • 1994-96 Driver side console side
  • Hybrid Radio Bezel and Console bezel to fit
  • 1994-96 AC Vents (custom fitted)
  • 1994-96 Sport seats (but look like base seats)
  • All back with white lettering.. all are a direct swap except the LCD of the cluster, also the ASR button is there but not functional

I have a conversion PCB from Batee that allows the 92-96 LCD (however the added functions are not there)

Being we have a 1990 the Power key is easy to add, but I don't have the lettering near it.

I also replaced the DIC with an LCD. there is no black DIC that has the full power light like our 1990. In the pictures I have the splash ZR-1 in Red for full power and White when not. Considering changing it to be off completely with the key off. I printed a bezel adapter to fit the LCD to the bezel
Damn, Jeff. You do have this all sorted out.

I wish you were my neighbour.

You've convinced me that it's very doable. And not that hard to do. Nor likely horribly expensive.

How come your sports seats look like regular seats?

I guess my goal is to not change the car radically, but rather find that best variants of ZR-1 parts to upgrade it.

Old 12-01-2020   #18
-=Jeff=-

If you do go down this path and want an LCD. I fitted a 5" but had to trim the PCB to make it work, I also did a 4.3 version but like the 5" better. I can supply you with the bezel, but it is suggested you get a DIC a to 'gut' to make it work. There are other parts needed as I need to compile a list for the LCD. I have ideas for the added functions of the LCD but need to by a second LCD so I have one on my work bench for testing
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 12-02-2020   #19
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
How come your sports seats look like regular seats?

Missed this question..

I prefer the style and 'sit' of the standard seats. So I had some covers custom made to fit the sport seat frames and side bolsters. I find the base style with the 'extra' help of the sport bolsters is a good combo.

I like the 90 style seats but they get uncomfortable due to the power recline motor location and the way I fit/sit in the seats..

being a bigger guy these are very comfortable now
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 12-02-2020   #20
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
If you do go down this path and want an LCD. I fitted a 5" but had to trim the PCB to make it work, I also did a 4.3 version but like the 5" better. I can supply you with the bezel, but it is suggested you get a DIC a to 'gut' to make it work. There are other parts needed as I need to compile a list for the LCD. I have ideas for the added functions of the LCD but need to by a second LCD so I have one on my work bench for testing
Thanks.
That part I'll have to kick around.

Still sorting out my thoughts around the gauges!