ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-30-2013   #11
Hib Halverson

Default Re: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
For those of us that have been following the C7 saga, there's been lots of chatter over the use of E85. Some have shown dynos +40whp with a tune.
For the most part it sounds like using E85 is a matter of tuning for E85. Not much else required at least when it comes to C6. More timing, more compression w no knock. The LT5 is not timing limited, you just lose power.
Any thoughts?
If you could solve the problem of adequate fuel delivery---E85 runs at a lower AFR than straight gasoline---the next biggest problem you'd have with E85 is all the fuel system parts which corrode. Some of a C4 Corvette's fuel supply system will be damaged or destroyed by E85.

That said, the reason some folks are interested in E85 is that it allows a significant increase in compression ratio because of its approx. 105-octane. That also could allow more spark timing, but typically, an LT5s spark cal is close to optimum already.

I would think an LT5 with stock CR wouldn't have much to gain with it, but an engine with 13:1 or so would.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Hmmmm.... Just another potato for the stew pot:

If, as it seems, 11:1 compression is a bit low for E85, then would not a stock compression LT5 be a candidate for FI? How much boost would be the equiv of 14:1 compression?

Would FI on a stock LT5 be more $$ efficient way to add hp than sleeve n stroke I wonder????

Interesting topic...

P

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #13
Schrade

Is there a difference in vapor pressure of E85, as compared to gasoline? Enough that you get better vaporization in the ports?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #14
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Is there a difference in vapor pressure of E85, as compared to gasoline? Enough that you get better vaporization in the ports?
Ethyl alcohol(ethanol) has a melting point of -114ºC (-173ºF) a boiling point of 73.8C(165ºF) and has a Latent Heat of Vaporization of 855 kj/kg (kilojoules per kilogram-or 361 Btu/pound)

Gasoline has a latent heat of Vaporization of 140 Btu/lb
Methanol is 474 Btu/lb (British Thermal Units/Pound)

The fuel is in a position to affect tempeature for a very short time. Much shorter time than in an appplication like an 8-71 blower with carbs on top. Direct injection makes this time even shorter.

peace
Hog
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #15
Hog

Somewhere I posted that the cooling effects with DI would not be as great as with PFI.
This was incorrect, the cooling effects are greater with DI than with PFI. This is because with PFI there is significant wall wetting and charge contact with the intake valve.
With DI the entire fuel charge removes heat from the inate air charge only as there is no contact with the backside of the intake valve or with the cylinder head wall.`
This is one of the reasons why DI can run higher static compression ratios than PFI.
These cooling effects wouold only be greater with any alcohol use.

BTW The new GEN 5 LT1 uses 125 lb/hr injectors, but they cannot be directly compared to PFI injectors. They inject for a much shorter time than PFI injectors.

peace
Hog

Last edited by Hog; 02-02-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote