ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-20-2012   #11
mike100

Default Re: Back together, but w/high idle and stumble/miss u, highi

I had luck blocking the airhorn with a very stiff piece of thick cardboard. Once the normal air inlet is denied, other leaks become apparent. If it stalls, you don't have a vacuum leak.

I was able to mist a little carb cleaner spray near the offending leak with the red straw that comes with aerosol cans and the idle change when i got near it. a propane bottle with a rubber hose and a slow flow valve is another fuel enrichment technique as well, but carb spray is easier to buy at the corner store and burns like gasoline.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #12
Torchred96

Nah me, a loner.. The nearest Lt5 from what I understand is somewhere in miami. Probably 1. Beyond that, maybe tampa or west palm there are a couple. The the nearest LT1 is a camaro next door, an impala and a vette right down the street.. These things are like sighting a Great White off the coast of Florida

But, really, it's not so bad for us. For the most part, our cars are PRE internet explosion. I didn't get that until 1996!!, well after GM sold the last KOTH. Now, the nearest Lt5 is in my living room. Cool, which makes it possible to own, find parts for, repair, share with people who own and love the LT5 and zr-1 and especially modify to remain the KOTH (in my heart anyway).

Now, about that ac hitting the plenum. Interesting, I read that before but since I dind't do any machine work, didn't think it applied. I did notice it was a tight fit to get the plenum to sit flush. Hmm, I'll check it.

Got a few good ideas here, and I can't fix it by talking about it..Just trying to wake up with my morning coffee (at 1pm.) after a long 24hr shift.

Don't worry though, I'm in it for the long haul. I love the car, the engine and the challenge. I vow to learn this motor!!! (with your collective help that is.)
Torchred96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #13
Torchred96

Mike, I knew about the flammable sprays trick, but had never thought about the propane torch I have used with a hose. Nice idea. Well, I'm on my way outside with a binder and explosive in my hand. I plan to hit the propane WIDE OPEN, God I hope that wasn't an ignition problem JK

see ya in a bit.
Old 01-20-2012   #14
Torchred96

Well, I'm just a big dumb aazzzzz. First, followed Pauls advice..used jerry's gasket box to close off the intake, and it didn't make a difference in idle. It didn't slow down a bit nor suck the cardboard against it. HMMMM. This must be a serious leak!!!! So,

Got some carb cleaner and sprayed all around the IH, under the plenum, around all the nipples, behind the throttle body etc etc etc and with the cardboard over the air horn. No increase in idle anywhere. WTH?

Finally, I got the engine to suffocate and turn off using the cardboard trick and plugging all the pcv lines, ie the rubber grommets on the ih's and the plenum vacuum source for the pcv system.

Now, since I got it to shut off rather quickly doing this, It seems that this eliminates any big leaks downstream of the tb...so it appears, that my problem is in the pcv system.

Well, duh, I had intentially left the bottom pcv hose off because it was broken..but I guess I assumed it would be okay, since the crankcase would be vented to the atmosphere and the suction side still had the pcv valves attached to the F connector and vacuum.

Question: Is there a temporary solution that will allow me to run the engine without causing damage while I get the pcv system fixed?

Last edited by Torchred96; 01-20-2012 at 05:25 PM.