ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-13-2014   #11
WARP TEN

Default Re: 93 ZR1.????

I agree on checking the spare tire carrier, tire and bag. If you can push the carrier up a bit by hand that is probably it; tighten the bolt. If not, it might be suspension bushings. When I first got my 95 in 2012 (with 20k miles) I had a bump noise when I turned into my inclined driveway. Marc H had it in for servicing, thought the bushings looked dried out and replaced one or more (can't remember how many). After removal he said they did not look too bad after all, but the noise went away so that had to be it. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #12
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I have a 93 ZR1 It Has 17,000 miles on it. My question is when I hit a bump something in the rear of the car makes a sound like a loose shock or wore out shock. [ A loud thump ] I have checked for anything that might be loose. Found nothing. Put new oem type shocks on it. It is still doing it. Has anyone had that type of problem. If so what was causing it ? Your help would be greatly appreciated...............Thanks Ellis....................
All good suggestions above.
I had a similar situation that drove me nuts even after replacing trailing arm (dog bone) bushings, strut bushings, shock bushings, etc... It turned out to be sway bar bushings - 2 on each side/upper and lower.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #13
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
All good suggestions above.
I had a similar situation that drove me nuts even after replacing trailing arm (dog bone) bushings, strut bushings, shock bushings, etc... It turned out to be sway bar bushings - 2 on each side/upper and lower.
After sconedchance's post I looked at my receipts and he is right--it was the sway bar bushings that were replaced, and that is what solved the clunking problem. --Bob
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member
Old 05-16-2014   #14
Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
After sconedchance's post I looked at my receipts and he is right--it was the sway bar bushings that were replaced, and that is what solved the clunking problem. --Bob
Do you know if they were sway bar end bushings [has 4] or the two that hold the sway bar to the frame? Thanks........
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #15
5ABI VT

Quote:
Do you know if they were sway bar end bushings [has 4] or the two that hold the sway bar to the frame? Thanks........

It would be the end link bushings. I had the same issue with my 93 and a friends 96 is clunking and his are so worn you can see right through them.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #16
Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
It would be the end link bushings. I had the same issue with my 93 and a friends 96 is clunking and his are so worn you can see right through them.
That is good to hear. Yesterday I ordered the end links only. Mine looked okay but I thought I would replace them anyway. Thank you and the others I appreciate your help.
Old 05-17-2014   #17
TommyL

It is almost certainly your fuel door. I have had this issue with all 3 of my C4's and currently have it with my 90Z. I put new springs on it and some softer rubber bumpers on it.. problem solved.
TommyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #18
Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyL View Post
It is almost certainly your fuel door. I have had this issue with all 3 of my C4's and currently have it with my 90Z. I put new springs on it and some softer rubber bumpers on it.. problem solved.
Thanks I appreciate your help. I feel sure I found it today. I pulled the sway bar and found a end bushing bad. [5ABI VT you had it right.] Thank You. Thanks to all of you.......Ellis
Old 05-17-2014   #19
secondchance

Quote:
Thanks I appreciate your help. I feel sure I found it today. I pulled the sway bar and found a end bushing bad. [5ABI VT you had it right.] Thank You. Thanks to all of you.......Ellis
I recommend replacing with polyurethane bushing. I replaced these with OEM rubber and stamped steel piece and those lasted for about 3 years before starting to disintegrate.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #20
WARP TEN

Quote:
Sorry I did not get back sooner. I was in BG and just got back; didn't check the forum too often. I think 5ABI VT is right. My notes from Marc say "New GM rear sway bar link bushings were installed". That is all I know. --Bob
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member