ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-04-2012   #11
rhipsher

Default Re: A/c issues.

Ryan I drive for years in that mazda 626 for without a/c when Vickie was getting her RN degree. Driving on the freeway with the windows down and all that wind blowing into the car just causes the headliner to come loose. I finally got the a/c fixed in it. It really makes driving very unpleasant.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #12
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
Rick, how the hell can you not have a/c in Houston? Mine works but not good enough. I wish there was a cheap mod that would triple the power of my a/c for this town.
You have stock windshield?

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #13
rhipsher

Mine is stock. I think Ryans is to. I remember my ac working well enough to keep me cool in 104 degree temps.
Old 07-04-2012   #14
mgbrv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
Rick, how the hell can you not have a/c in Houston? Mine works but not good enough. I wish there was a cheap mod that would triple the power of my a/c for this town.

What If you put a pusher fan in front of the evaporator??

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #15
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
Mine is stock. I think Ryans is to. I remember my ac working well enough to keep me cool in 104 degree temps.
For those that swap out the stock metal mesh windshield with the cut-out in it for a standard C4 one there is an added heat load.
Another source of problems is the fan not being able to reach full on.

Since it will be in the mid 70s here today I won't be worrying about using the air at all.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #16
MickeyD

I agree with you USA, my red 90 doesn't have much air flow, but the 90 black is great flow. Low air flow keeps it in the garage on Houston days like these. However, going out anyway!
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #17
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
I agree with you USA, my red 90 doesn't have much air flow, but the 90 black is great flow. Low air flow keeps it in the garage on Houston days like these. However, going out anyway!
Mine has no ac right now and Im still taking it out. Might head to the hard rock cafe downtown Houston.
Old 07-04-2012   #18
vilant

My 90' A/C works for a few minutes then becomes warm. I assume it's R 12 and I'm pretty sure it's the original system. Anyone know what a reasonable cost it is to have it updated? Or is there a black market for R 12.It's been 90+ and humid here lately keeping me from taking the car out as much
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #19
VetteMed

R12 is readily available on ebay, craigslist, etc. You do need to have your EPA certification to purchase R12, however. The test costs around $20. Of course, this assumes you're doing the work yourself and have equipment to do so.

Most shops have gotten rid of their R12 equipment and will want you to retrofit R134a.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #20
sammy

i have converted both my zs to 134. i bought a new accumulator and changed out all the o rings to new ones . i evacuated the system for 2 hrs to get all the 12 oil out . then installed the new accumulator put 2 oz of oil in the compressor 2 ozin the accumulator . then evacuated the system for an hr . closed off both valves to see that it held the vacuum. if it did then i filled with 2lbs of 134 that also had oil in the can . it can be a little fun trying to get the compressor to not kick off and stop the fill at first . but i just stopped the car disconnected the battery and started the car again(usually) only had to do this twice . i did the 90 5 yrs ago and its still cooling great .the 92 did this year and doing great also . you can get a air compressor operated evact unit from harbor freight tools for about 50 bucks which saves having to pay to have it evacuated by a shop . its really not a hard job to do just take your time oil up the o rings in the 134 oil before installing and clean all the threads of the connection points in the system before putting it back together . hope this helps
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote