ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-03-2014   #11
edram454

Default Re: Question on ultra low mile ZR1s

I agree also. When I was zr1 shopping, I only wanted modified zr1's. I wanted a zr1 that can run!!! I respect all zr1's and for some people stock is fine. I appreciate stock z's. For myself, I knew only a modified car would do. Usually with modified cars, the price you pay is the same for a stock car and the mods that have been done are free. The car I bought was advertised in the beginning at 25k. It was not super heavily modded but it has quite a few mods. I wound up paying way less than a car in similar condition without mods. I got a sorted car with ALL the troublesome things replaced, track prepped and hasnt thrown 1 code ever. 45k miles in 24 years. not bad. My only regret is not buying a more heavily modded car!! Get what you like and enjoy it.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #12
XfireZ51

JMO, but I believe it's modded ZR-1s that have carried the flag for our cars. Some of the attention being drawn to the LT-5 is due to the upgrades demonstrating the flexibility and capability of the engine's architecture.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #13
Schrade

Wow - I hope I didn't offend anyone when I called my own mill an LT2, with a modified restrictor gasket in place...

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=486
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #14
Bearly Flying

Ya, Schrade I was deeply offended....

Have you got that thing running finally?
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #15
tomcat

Thumbs up Re: Question on ultra low mile ZR1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
I agree also. When I was zr1 shopping, I only wanted modified zr1's. I wanted a zr1 that can run!!! I respect all zr1's and for some people stock is fine. I appreciate stock z's. For myself, I knew only a modified car would do. Usually with modified cars, the price you pay is the same for a stock car and the mods that have been done are free. The car I bought was advertised in the beginning at 25k. It was not super heavily modded but it has quite a few mods. I wound up paying way less than a car in similar condition without mods. I got a sorted car with ALL the troublesome things replaced, track prepped and hasnt thrown 1 code ever. 45k miles in 24 years. not bad. My only regret is not buying a more heavily modded car!! Get what you like and enjoy it.
I agree with your statement about Modded ZR1's.

Manfred E..........
91 #906
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #16
Dynomite

Default You are welcome to call your own work what you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Wow - I hope I didn't offend anyone when I called my own mill an LT2, with a modified restrictor gasket in place...

You can call your LT5 what you want. You can also refer to your own mechanic work or emotional state however you want by choosing professional terms or resorting to terms such as (Kludged or Ripped)

A kludge (or kluge) is a workaround, quick-and-dirty solution, clumsy, inelegant, difficult to extend, hard to maintain yet effective and quick solution to a problem. Kind of like suggesting poor mechanic work.

Rip is to remove (something) quickly or violently. Kind of like suggesting an emotional mechanic.

Ripped is Intoxicated by alcohol or a drug.

Your work might be more Kludged and you might Rip if you are Ripped when working on your LT5 then suggesting it is really an LT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmanmike View Post
Hey Guys,
New to to the forum, and looking to purchase my first ZR1/Vette.What are your thoughts on buying a ZR1 with less than 1000 miles? Safe to assume there may have been years where the car didnt run - do you see issues with seals, gaskets, bushings, etc. drying out, cracking?
Any sense of what kind of work would need to be done to get one of these roadworthy?

Thanks,
Mike
Seals unlikely, gaskets unlikely, bushings and tires hardened but not worn......If there is a check engine light or a miss at any speed or if the vacuum pump does not shut off within a few seconds with key on.........Probably pull plenum and recondition/replace injectors, change Engine oil, Transmission oil, and Differential oil as well as make sure you have green antifreeze 1825M GM Spec. LT5/ZR-1 Fluids

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-06-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #17
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations View Post
Scott, while I respect other's opinions, I am asking that you respect others as well and remove the reference highlighted in RED. I also ask that you refrain from slamming modified ZR-1's here in the future.

Many of us here modify our ZR-1's and enjoy them just as many here enjoy their completely stock ZR-1's. The ZR-2 reference is offensive to myself and I believe it will be to others as well.

This is a ZR-1 community and NOT a ZR-1 and ZR-2 community.

Please don't be offended by my public request as this is only in the spirit of unity among all kinds of ZR-1 owners and drivers here.

Long live the ZR-1.

Brett Henderson
Thank you, I agree wholeheartedly.
Mine is about as modified as it can get! I had a 93 40thRubyZee with 168 miles on the odometer for several years & it was nice to sit in and smell the new, but was completely useless to me.

1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #18
Blue Flame Restorations

Jerry, your modified car is a work or art! Beautiful Z!!

1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #19
efnfast

I agree Brett, I don't see many body kits I like, including Callaway's. Jerry, your car looks great.
efnfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #20
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post

OP - sorry about posting off the original topic here; usually we don't do that - USUALLY...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote