ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-04-2019   #11
spork2367

Default Re: Garage lifts and doing damage to suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Personally I wouldn’t own a 2 post lift,4 post or nothing.
If all you're doing is storage and fluid changes I would agree. The first time you are dropping the entire suspension, transmission, rear end, exhaust...etc. A four post takes almost twice the time.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019   #12
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Four post lift is the only choice for storage.
I too have one of the last Autolifters lifts, simply the best.
My Backyard Buddy not quite as good but still great!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019   #13
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
If all you're doing is storage and fluid changes I would agree. The first time you are dropping the entire suspension, transmission, rear end, exhaust...etc. A four post takes almost twice the time.
My 4 post works good for transmission r&r & exhaust. I have a lightweight, low profile, aluminum floor jack & some small NAPA jack stands that I use for brake & suspension work too. It's all what you get used to I think.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019   #14
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
My 4 post works good for transmission r&r & exhaust. I have a lightweight, low profile, aluminum floor jack & some small NAPA jack stands that I use for brake & suspension work too. It's all what you get used to I think.
I’m sure what you’re used to plays a big part. There is definitely just more in the way with a four post, but once you’re used to it job times are probably pretty equal.
Old 11-05-2019   #15
Ccmano

What are you guys using to lift a car that’s on the 4 post. Like when you need to remove the wheels. I have two jack trays and don’t really want to buy one of those expensive jack tray bridge jacks the lift companies sell.
H

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 11-05-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019   #16
Subfixer

When I need to get 4 wheels off the ground, I use a Quick Jack, on solid ground, not on my 4 post lift.
I suppose I could use it in conjunction with the 4 post, but as narrow as my garage is, it would be a waste of effort.
1992 ZR1 #442, 2 tops, White, White, Haibeck 415, 3.90 gear, Coilovers
2018 Audi RS5, 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo, Auto, Black, Black
2021 Audi Q3, 2.0T, 8 spd Tiptronic, Navarro Blue metallic, Pearl Beige
Subfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019   #17
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
What are you guys using to lift a car that’s on the 4 post. Like when you need to remove the wheels. I have two jack trays and don’t really want to buy one of those expensive jack tray jacks the lift companies sell.
H

I have a lightweight, low profile, aluminum floor jack & some small NAPA jack stands that I use for brake & suspension work too. It's all what you get used to I think.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough above, but I use the jack & small stands on the 4 post runners. Occasionally, I will use a small bottle jack on the bridge & also keep several blocks (2"x6"x abt 8") in the bridge to put under the engine or suspension to protect from jack marring. I don't find this any more cumbersome to work around than those screw jack stands used with a 2 post.

I'm not working against a flat-rate time like a real mechanic, so if it takes a little longer, so what. I know 2 post lifts must be safe or they wouldn't be so popular, but I just feel safer underneath a car on a 4 post. Plus... those runners come in pretty handy to lay tools & stuff on too.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019   #18
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
What are you guys using to lift a car that’s on the 4 post. Like when you need to remove the wheels. I have two jack trays and don’t really want to buy one of those expensive jack tray bridge jacks the lift companies sell.
H
This is where I was coming from originally. I probably do more suspension and brake work on a regular basis than anything (second maybe to fluid changes). I can't see any way a four post is easier, quicker, or even comparable for that, nor do I consider jacking a car up on the floor an "easy" way to do suspension or brake work.

But that isn't what everyone is doing I suppose, so that's just my experience.

If you were to look at what the overwhelming majority of professional shops use, it's two post lifts. And they are the more expensive option.

Four posts are good for most work, storage, and on uneven or thin concrete not capable of supporting or attaching a two post lift to. Hell, at Carlisle, the four post lifts are just on the grass.
Old 11-06-2019   #19
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
This is where I was coming from originally. I probably do more suspension and brake work on a regular basis than anything (second maybe to fluid changes). I can't see any way a four post is easier, quicker, or even comparable for that, nor do I consider jacking a car up on the floor an "easy" way to do suspension or brake work.

But that isn't what everyone is doing I suppose, so that's just my experience.

If you were to look at what the overwhelming majority of professional shops use, it's two post lifts. And they are the more expensive option.

Four posts are good for most work, storage, and on uneven or thin concrete not capable of supporting or attaching a two post lift to. Hell, at Carlisle, the four post lifts are just on the grass.
You absolutely right, but for most us having both is not an option. Storage trumps (no pun intended) other considerations. So we work with what we have. I was curious what others do to lift the car for wheel/suspension work.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019   #20
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Both lifts have a bridge.
I use either jack stands or bottle jacks, sometimes both.
No big deal.
One bridge fits both lifts if I needed 4 wheels up at once.
Ramps make fantastic tool / parts trays!
You can easily and safely use a storage lift as a service lift.
Not as easy using a two post service lift as a storage lift, especially if the work on the top car involves or involved brake fluid or the like.
Storage lifts have drip trays!!!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote