ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-25-2015   #11
Gunny

Default Re: Mountain Run 3 Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
Does anyone know any of these people? I want to make sure that they are not part of the ZR1/GSR before I cancel thier reservation.
Robert,
I don't think any of those people are associated with the ZR-1/GSR groups ... I think someone at Fontana made a clerical error and may have given them our group rates. Note that their arrival/departure dates are different from our trip. Their reservations may be legitimate but the dates are incorrect. I would be very surprised to learn that they are really part of our group ... the names are just not familiar.
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #12
ZR1North

Thanks for the info, George, Robert. I am confirming that I will be joining MR3 and that have made reservations at Fontana Village, Alcoa and BG (ZR-1North - Bob Lambe). Just want to be sure I have the days 1-3 straight. Based on Robert's e-mail of a couple of months ago, I booked Fontana for May 10- 12 (check out on 12th), so I assume Day 1 is May 12 - correct? I am in Alcoa from May 12-13 (check out on 13th, so day 2 is 13th?

Thanks
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #13
QB93Z

I think that George's Day 1 is Monday 11 May. That way, George's Day 3 is Wednesday and we arrive at Bowling Green just in time for the Pizza Social at the Holiday Inn.

I am arriving at Fontana on Sunday, 10 May.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #14
Gunny

to confirm

Day 0 - May 10 (Mother's Day) - arrive at Fontana; we will probably have a driver's meeting Sunday evening
Day 1-3 (Mon-Wed) are the 3 days of MR3, arriving in Bowling Green Wed afternoon
BG Gathering begins Wed night usually with pizza at U-Plaza
the official days of the Gathering are Thu-Sat with everyone leaving after breakfast on Sunday

MR3 is basically free except for your gas, meals, & lodging. It's a good idea to have reservations in Fontana and Alcoa as rooms might be scarce or non-existent on the day MR3 starts. It does help us to know who is coming as we plan MR3 so we ask that everyone keep us informed of their plans.

I will email maps, directions, fuel stop info, restaurant info, and more to all participants prior to MR3 and will be getting everyone's email address sometime in April.

If you have any questions at all, be sure to post here so that we can keep everyone informed.
Old 02-25-2015   #15
Gunny

It's premature to finalize travel plans to Fontana but certainly not too early to be thinking about it.

Many of you may want to coordinate your travel plans and convoy together on Sunday; it may be possible to coordinate with the GSR folks as well.

Fontana is a bit isolated so the last few miles can be a bit of a challenge if you're tired from driving all day. As we get closer to MR3 I can help you with some routing choices to make it easier and at the same time, see some nice scenery.
Old 02-25-2015   #16
ZR1North

Thanks Jim, George; got it! I will be in sometime Sunday May 10th as well. I look forward to connecting with folks Sunday evening.

Bob
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #17
Scrrem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
It's premature to finalize travel plans to Fontana but certainly not too early to be thinking about it.

Many of you may want to coordinate your travel plans and convoy together on Sunday; it may be possible to coordinate with the GSR folks as well.

Fontana is a bit isolated so the last few miles can be a bit of a challenge if you're tired from driving all day. As we get closer to MR3 I can help you with some routing choices to make it easier and at the same time, see some nice scenery.
I've never done the M.R before, just wondering if 2-way radios are going to be utilized during the routes? If so, I need to start searching the house for mine and see if it still works.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #18
Gunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
I've never done the M.R before, just wondering if 2-way radios are going to be utilized during the routes? If so, I need to start searching the house for mine and see if it still works.
Rich
Yes, we will use 2-way radios (walkie-talkies) such as Motorola, Cobra, Uniden, etc. If the radio is FRC compatible, it should work. Most of the brands advertise 20, 25, even 30+ mile range; my experience in the mountains is that you're lucky if you have line of sight range. It's best if you have your own, but don't buy for a one time use; usually someone will have a spare that you can borrow.

Things you will "want" to have for the mountain run
  • cell phone (important)
  • 2-way radio (important)
  • GPS (handy, but not essential, since you will have maps/directions)
  • road atlas (handy, but not ... see above)
  • radar detector (very handy, and probably essential if you decide to drive aggressively at any time during your trip)
  • drammamine or pressure bracelet for your passenger
  • spare serpentine and other parts
  • essential tools
  • VISA & AAA card (just in case)
  • camera, possibly a GoPro
I plan to email the final info to all participants by the first of May and it will include printable files for directions, maps, etc. so that everyone should have all the necessary info for a successful trip.

On a side note about phones, radios & GPS ... at any given time/location on some of the roads, one or more of your devices will probably not function properly. I know a couple of locations that none of my devices appear to work and that can be a little unnerving ... should that happen, just play a recording of "Dualing Banjos" and enjoy the ride.

Thanks for asking a good question ... if anyone planning to go on MR3 has more questions, please post up.
Old 03-04-2015   #19
Gunny

a little bit about motion sickness when in the mountains
  • I've never heard of a driver having motion sickness
  • Some passengers are bothered by motion sickness; others are not. I've never had a problem with motion when I was driving; however, I did the Dragon as a passenger with a very experienced, aggressive driver, and I was definitely not feeling well due to the motion, turns, elevation changes, etc.
how to prevent ...
  • take dramamine (or similar)
  • wear a wristband for motion sickness
Wristbands should be available at a pharmacy, sports store, or HERE.
Old 03-04-2015   #20
Gunny

more on motion sickness ...

Click HERE and then click on the bottom thumbnail to "experience" the Dragon. Granted, nothing can replicate the actual feeling of either driving or riding shotgun while running the Dragon, but if you can play this on a large monitor or even a large screen TV it helps illustrate some of the sensations that you might feel when actually doing the Dragon. If you've never done mountain roads before and you feel the slightest bit of queasiness while watching the video clip, you might want to bring something for motion sickness. It doesn't bother me watching this video but my wife will not look at it, nor does she enjoy riding with me on any spirited runs through the mountains. BUT ... and this is funny ... she drives a turbo Sportwagen TDI and has discovered how much fun it is to drive the mountain roads to the point that I'm no longer comfortable riding with her. Go figure.

Tough to predict how different folks react to mountain roads, but better to be prepared if you've never driven/ridden these roads before.

re: the video ... yes, the total time was approx. 16 minutes, and yes, those are real rain drops on the windshield. For a dose of reality be sure to watch beginning at the 7 min. mark for approx. 1 minute.