ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-05-2009   #11
mgbrv8

Default Re: My clutch issue

I cleaned the bolts and they felt good, no off axis movement, endplay or binding. The length might be the thing though I will check that out.

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #12
mgbrv8

When I was cleaning the c-beam I noticed that the center cross trusses braces were bent. I looked at my 1984 c-beam and it didnt have the bends. Is this normal or is it distorded?

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bent C-beam.jpg (94.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Bent C-beam (1).jpg (76.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Bent C-beam (2).jpg (81.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-06-2009   #13
Hammer

Talking Re: My clutch issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrv8 View Post
When I was cleaning the c-beam I noticed that the center cross trusses braces were bent. I looked at my 1984 c-beam and it didnt have the bends. Is this normal or is it distorded?

Dave
Holy **** Dave. I'd have to say that happened in the accident. I know it wasn't like that when they changed the clutch. Possibly the reason the other damage occured also although I know you had mentioned noise before, but dude, you drove that car over 10,000 miles. Think about it. Can you go back on your insurance company for repairs??
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #14
mgbrv8

Ya I could see how the wrinkle in the c-beam was caused by the rear end collision enven thought there was no chasis damage. But for the life of me I cant see how the accident caused the bolts to come loose and damage the throw out bearing. Also the strange noise stayed the same before and after the accident. I will say one thing though you old car is cleaning up nice. I hired a guy to help me with the clean up, I pull a part off and he cleans it so far its working great. I'll give you a call later though.

Dave

BTY John you have a nice avitar pic
Old 11-06-2009   #15
QB93Z

I believe that the C-Beam on all ZR-1 have what appears to be bends in two of the diagonal portions. The C-Beams that I removed on all three ZR-1's that I worked on this fall were like that.

Here is the best picture that I could find:

Before you decide that your C-Beam has been damaged, lets get some more examples to compare to.

I will got check the ZR-1 on my lift right now and report what I find. Don't panic.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #16
QB93Z

I just checked the C-Beam on my 1993 ZR-1. The two "truss" sections that you highlighted in your picture are "bent" on my car. I am sure the C-Beam in your picture is in proper condition.

I could not take a picture of the bends with the C-Beam on the car because the exhaust is in the way.

I remember seeing a C-Beam for sale at Corvettes at Carlisle last August and it had the bends also.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #17
Hammer

Quote:
Ya I could see how the wrinkle in the c-beam was caused by the rear end collision enven thought there was no chasis damage. But for the life of me I cant see how the accident caused the bolts to come loose and damage the throw out bearing. Also the strange noise stayed the same before and after the accident. I will say one thing though you old car is cleaning up nice. I hired a guy to help me with the clean up, I pull a part off and he cleans it so far its working great. I'll give you a call later though.

Dave

BTY John you have a nice avitar pic
Well maybe that beam could have been like that after all. I would have to say the installation may have been faulty, but I'm glad the car got you home and there isn't to much damage. I'm surprized at the crank bolts though. I don't think I've ever seen any come loose on anything before. I'm sure they have though. I didn't use the longer bolts in the pressure plate/flywheel, so if those make you uncomfortable, get the longer ones from Randy. I got the flywheel from Ultra Rev, they have the replacement facing for them too if you are going to replace it.
http://www.ultrarev.com

The avatars get better.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Old 11-06-2009   #18
flyin ryan

Quote:
Would you guys recomend the needle bearing type or bronze type imput shaft bushings?

Dave
I put a Needle Pilot Bearing in my 90, but i've used both, often. Your choice...either or, not a big deal one way or the other.
Old 11-07-2009   #19
Scrrem

Quote:

Dave
Dave,
Mine just happens to be out at moment, so here you go. Mine looks the same.
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01562.jpg (132.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01563.jpg (114.6 KB, 31 views)
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #20
Hammer

I'll be damned.