ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-24-2021   #11
Young1

Default Re: Newbie Question on Power

Hmm. If the car has Marcs chip why is the OP messing with the key? Chip keeps it on full power mode all the time. BTW I know where there is an NOS power switch if needed.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021   #12
efnfast

Key override is an option with Marc's programming, it's not a given.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021   #13
wfot

I second that. there is a code/number Marc puts on his chips, if you call and tell him what it is, he can tell you exactly what he programed into it....
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021   #14
kz098123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young1 View Post
Hmm. If the car has Marcs chip why is the OP messing with the key? Chip keeps it on full power mode all the time. BTW I know where there is an NOS power switch if needed.
The power key in 1990 only can be left ON all the time, so no need for a chip to do that. His chip doesn't do that for 1990 cars as far as I know. At least it doesn't in mine.
kz098123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021   #15
Young1

My 91 Marc chip is default power on so that is my reference. I was unaware of the different 90 configuration.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

After removing my SPT throttle plates and Marc reprogrammed my 90 to run on the secondaries full time, he warned me of the fact those 1990 FULL POWER switches were known to become intermittent and if it opens unexpectedly (or intentionally for that matter) half of the fueling (the secondary injectors) would shut off* resulting in a serious lean condition which could result in knock in the least, or worse (as I was to find out later!).

*in secondaries ON mode, the fueling (injector dwell time) is split between the primary and secondary injectors. With the full time modification, if the FULL POWER mode is not working, the result is to shut the secondary injectors OFF - running on the primary injectors only - BUT w/o increasing the dwell to replace the fuel from the secondaries. That is a BAD thing!

And, as it happened, I noticed my "FULL ENGINE POWER" light was intermittent due to the funky POWER switch, and later what seemed like a miss on one cylinder. A compression check showed a serious lack of compression on one cylinder which ended up the result of a burnt valve (after pulling the engine - and all of the ramifications that entailed - to get to the valve).

Never wanting to have an issue with that switch again, I hardwired the wires together which assures the FULL POWER mode is always on - far as the switch is concerned (at least).

Pete Polatsidis (co-member of the "FBI" (Fast Boyz of Illinoiz - Chicagoland ZR-1 group) replaced the valve after I took the opportunity to finish my porting project and port the heads (that after also fashioning a metal sleeve to insert inside that accordion hose (between the air filter and the intake horn). That was back in 2011-12 and the results transformed the Z into a different beast and runs making 432 HP at the wheels before the last bit of porting. That's over 100hp increase on stock cams and NO difference in idle or low speed manners! I highly recommend Marc's "510" package!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote