ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-29-2014   #11
XfireZ51

Default Re: Just got my Z back from Bill Boudreau...

When you change the MAT location to what then becomes an IAT, the calibration should be modified to take that into account. Otherwise, the ECM always see an air temp where it adds fuel. This was a work around before people hacked the ECM, sort of like Mid America's TPS switch.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #12
Karl

Sounds like it's time to port the top end!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #13
PhillipsLT5

Maybe some FBI power
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #14
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Maybe some FBI power
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Bill had told me about the smell so I went with
Random Technology
Absolutly Correct

Two of my previous C5 Z06 cars, one car had SW headers no cats. The car always smelled of raw fuel inside the cabin area.

The second C5 Z06 had SW headers with random tech cats. There was never a smell of raw fuel.

Both cars were tuned on the same Dyno with similar fuel trims, with that being said the cats really do help isolate the raw fuel odor.

As far as SOTP, never have I ever felt that significant of a gain from headers. Matter of fact the majority felt as though they lost low end torque.

Stand firm that when you have a vehicle that produces 350/400 RWT, it becomes very difficult to notice the torque 15-22 RWT that's gained in the midrange to upper rpm.

Please remember I've never added headers to the LT5 and all insight is provided via early chevy V8 and LS motors.

Glad you had a positive experience with Bill it's always good to have someone like this to provide service as such for their customer's

Brad
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #15
edram454

headers give you that mid range and top end deep breathing capability. I have had headers on all my sports cars I have ever had and I have always felt a difference. they gotta be long tube headers. My c5 melted and blew out the guts from the new catalytic during a dyno pull. I kept the guts as they shot out of the exhaust pipes. I no longer run cats. My lt5 does not have a gas smell and revs up freely and quickly with longtube headers and no cats. I feel that headers are the best power adder you can do to gain free horsepower.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #16
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06scentair View Post

Please remember I've never added headers to the LT5 and all insight is provided via early chevy V8 and LS motors.
The engine defies convention- I lost nothing with 2" primaries on longtubes vs the oem 91 manifolds (which are 1-7/8's).

I had top end porting on mine and couldn't really feel that much- maybe a little on a cool day on the freeway in 3rd or 4th, but the reason is that is a torque range extending mod, and just manifests itself as more hp over 5000 rpm, but nothing much gained at torque peak in the mid range. Now then i put on headers---That was noticeable, but admittedly, in combination with a couple of other mods.

To the OP- drive your car when it isn't 107 degrees outside and see what you think. Mine felt snappier the next morning when the roads were clear and I had room to play. I ended up using C6-LS7 catalysts which more than handled the unburnt hydrocarbon smell wafting in your car every time you stop at a light with the windows down.

Last edited by mike100; 07-31-2014 at 12:05 AM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #17
Bob Eyres

I agree that you shouldn't expect you to feel the 20+ h.p. Increase from the headers & exhaust, unless you were at ideal temps and in the upper rpm's.

On that smell, it's possible that Marc's chip, while an improvement over the stock setup, may not have the ideal mixture for your car. The very best combination can only be obtained by a skilled tuner, and a dyno. As Marc would tell you it's only a very educated long distance guess as to what your LT5 needs. If it's a little rich,(and smelly),at least that's the safe way to go.

BTW, how are those Toyo Proxes working out?

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.

Last edited by Bob Eyres; 07-31-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Damn auto spell check
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #18
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
I agree that you shouldn't expect you to feel the 20+ h.p. Increase from the headers & exhaust, unless you were at ideal temps and in the upper rpm's.

On that smell, it's possible that Marc's chip, while an improvement over the stock setup, may not have the ideal mixture for your car. The very best combination can only be obtained by a skilled tuner, and a dyno. As Marc would tell you it's only a very educated long distance guess as to what your LT5 needs. If it's a little rich,(and smelly),at least that's the safe way to go.

BTW, how are those Toyo Proxes working out?
Hey Bob,

The Toyos are awesome, probably the best tires I've ever owned. VERY wide, aggressive looks, and the stick is amazing. I probably could have burned my Sumitomos to the ground with one burnout, but I have to be extremely aggressive with the throttle to get these to break loose at all. I wouldn't recommend them for a daily driver, as they will wear quicker. But especially for a car with more HP, they are ideal.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #19
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post

My impressions of the car:

LOVE the Corsa system; it has a great Jekyll & Hyde thing going on…quiet when I want it to be and straight pipe-loud when I don’t. Just took it out and beat the hell out of it for 20 minutes in 107 degree heat and the coolant gauge never exceeded an indicated 170ish. Bill’s shifter is AMAZING! So direct and positive! I can’t believe how much slop there is in the stock unit; I thought the new one was broken at first, it felt so different. It ain’t broken! If I had it to do over again, I would have installed cats. Not because I care about my 2K per year car hurting the atmosphere or even because I care about the smell in the AIR, but after my quick drive I walked into the house and my clothes smelled like a garage! It’s like hanging out in a smoky bar for an hour and I didn’t expect that nasty side effect. Lastly, the car is very, very fast but honestly, I’m having a hard time sensing a SOTP difference going from stock manifolds/straight pipes to OBX headers/Corsa, even though I had Marc’s chip calibrated for the change. Surprising indeed.
I just got my car back from Corey and I'm with you on the Corsa's. It is absolutely intoxicating! There is this howl at about 2800 rpm and then again at about 5800 rpm that is so cool. I have no issues with any smell. You may want to check your O2 sensors. Last year I had one go bad but not enough to throw a code. I could hardly breathe at stop lights. I swapped out both O2's and it cleared right up.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #20
efnfast

My car doesn't smell in the cab, but my daughter was behind me on the on ramp when I stomped on it. She told me I stunk up the whole highway. No cats BTW.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote