ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-15-2014   #11
WVZR-1

Default Re: Brake lock up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nolan View Post
Yes a '92. I ruled out the key 3 times and not moved because it should reset after shutting it off driving and shut off and restart. Time permitting I'll jack it up and check wiring at VSS first. I don't know what the sensor costs but I guess it isn't cheap. I can't believe no one has ever heard of this problem and cause?

Thanks!

Jim
The '92 VSS is very "inexpensive" if it comes down to the purchase of one. Very "inexpensive".

The brake issue - you had it once before you mentioned also and it just went away for 5 years. I can't imagine the booster check doing the fix but I hope so for you. What is the ID of the grommet since you have the check-valve out. It might be interesting to measure the diameter of the bore in the booster also. Those dimensions could be very useful.

I would think the only way to deal with it would be that when it happens you actually take the time to see which wheel (s) are locked. I realize that's a damn nuisance because you would likely need to do the jacking on the road side!

Were it me I'd buy an IR gun and carry it. You'll find many other uses for it also and it's just a real nice device to have around. You could snap the temps from the rotors in maybe less than a minute for the whole car when it does happen.

There are less expensive available but a friend has had a Raytek for years that he uses to check the cure of his fiberglass/SMC repairs. I use it for temps on cars, trucks, electronics, the plasma display. It's a very useful tool! You would never regret the purchase. Here's a link to a Raytek automotive IR:

http://support.fluke.com/raytek-sale...70_eng_b_w.pdf

There are less expensive models and brands for the "hobbyist" but the $80+ ones seem to do real well.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #12
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post

This I don't believe would be very wise. I might try a very LOW controlled vacuum suction on it and see if it maintained but a blow through I believe could just as easily ruin maybe a good one. Just my thought! Check the price of the OE first. That could be a game plan changer!

I never even considered that my post would be interpreted as using compressed air. I meant to test using your mouth. I guess I have been a mechanic too long. Eating lunch with greasy half washed hands just doesn't bother me nor does the taste of hydrocarbons in the name of scientific method.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #13
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I never even considered that my post would be interpreted as using compressed air. I meant to test using your mouth. I guess I have been a mechanic too long. Eating lunch with greasy half washed hands just doesn't bother me nor does the taste of hydrocarbons in the name of scientific method.
That thought crossed my "feeble mind" just as I was adding the final punctuation BUT I thought OH WELL!

OP and all:

I believe if I had a '92 car with ABS/ASR and a similar situation I'd first check for codes in the ABS/ASR. 5E-11 covers it well, the codes can't be cleared easily by error such as battery disconnect. Tech 1, CCM procedure or 50 key cycles is the only way. So if there were an error it should still be there.

Rather than link to the Corvette Central procedures I think the OP needs to check the diagnostics from the CCM in 8D of the FSM. Ironically the OP mentions code 23 for the FX3 which is a VSS fault (and mentions no MPH) but there's a 23 code for the ABS/ASR also which is the RF sensor which he also mentioned. It's difficult to determine just where he was doing the diagnostics from. The ABS/ASR would be my first thought to check because the OP mentioned "LOCK UP". That in my "feeble mind" hints hydraulic. The OP also had this failure he mentioned 5 years ago. An EBCM "hiccup"?
Old 07-16-2014   #14
mike100

Do you think it is possible for the ABS assembly to trap pressure down stream? I thought it was only capable of bypassing pressure on a circuit.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #15
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Do you think it is possible for the ABS assembly to trap pressure down stream? I thought it was only capable of bypassing pressure on a circuit.
I don't really know - I haven't read that much but the '92 would also have ASR and this problem the OP mentioned was there once 5 years ago, went away and returned just recently. I can't think of anywhere else to start. It's only a matter of checking codes and doing some serious reading. I think if I had the situation I'd do the IR gun I mentioned and when it surfaces again I'd know which or how many wheels were involved. Five years ago he did what we all might have done "replace the wheel brake hoses" and it went away!

I sold the two braided hoses from the master to the EBCM "NEW" to someone several years ago but I don't recall what the reason was. At that time I would have generally ordered the same parts for myself but I certainly don't recall doing that with those lines.
Old 07-23-2014   #16
Jim Nolan

I'm at a standstill here. I did an ohm check on the sensor and wiring and all checked good the FSM states that you have a code 23 on the FX3, which it does, and no code 24 in the ecm with no MPH then change the Selective ride control module. No parts dealer heard of one and the 3 sets of part #'s I pulled off the module come up blank. I'm at a loss now. The only thing left to try is to change the ride control when I take it out tomorrow and see if it acts differently..
Jim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #17
Schrade

Maybe we can rule out some stuff here, with respect to a locked up brake [s]...

1) Doesn't ABS function by 'letting go' of brake line pressure, AFTER IT'S APPLIED?

And if ABS is not working, then isn't it the case, that it doesn't let pressure off, AFTER IT'S ALREADY APPLIED???

2) Does ASR function by APPLYING BRAKES (to the slipping wheel)? Or does it function by REDUCING THROTTLE?

The former seems like a dangerous liability, with an ASR malfunction applying brakes to one wheel unexpectedly.

I cannot imagine what malfunction could APPLY brakes.

I HAVE, on the other hand, seen GM brakes RETAIN APPLIED PRESSURE in a malfunction condition - and a common one at that. My '98 GMC, ONLY WITH the engine running, and AFTER applying brakes, would somehow allow vacuum pressure to be transmitted to the brake lines, and collapse the rubber liners in the line, thereby retaining APPLIED pressure.

I DO suppose that if the MC piston was stuck forward in the MC cylinder, that could RETAIN pressure. Never seen that tho'...

But once vacuum abated, after engine shutdown, the line pressure released.

The only thing otherwise, that I've seen retain brake pressure, HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH FLUID PRESSURE, is a stuck caliper...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #18
WVZR-1

Quote:
I'm at a standstill here. I did an ohm check on the sensor and wiring and all checked good the FSM states that you have a code 23 on the FX3, which it does, and no code 24 in the ecm with no MPH then change the Selective ride control module. No parts dealer heard of one and the 3 sets of part #'s I pulled off the module come up blank. I'm at a loss now. The only thing left to try is to change the ride control when I take it out tomorrow and see if it acts differently..
You don't Ohm check a VSS - a VSS is an AC generator. You mentioned you lost MPH and also have the code 23 SO just remove the VSS and spin it with a rotary tool and see if you then get MPH on the cluster. If you do then the VSS is fine. If you don't get MPH you need likely a VSS. If you want the VSS for the '91+ is rather inexpensive so you could buy a new one and use it to spin and check the cluster etc. I would think you can buy a '91+ VSS for less than $35. I don't have the later VSS or I'd just send you one to check it.

Have any parts store change any of these #'s for you, 10456089 GM (original part), VSS46, 5S4637, SC13 or SU1005.

SRC module I'd think very unlikely! If you mentioned you had MPH and still the SRC code then maybe but you originally mentioned no MPH either. Has that changed?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-23-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2014   #19
Jim Nolan

I hadn't thought about removing the VSS and spinning it. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I'm sure it's its key on and engine off , right.
I hope it's the problem because I just off the phone with the local dealer and he said GM no longer stocks the module.

Just to be clear it did not pull and all wheels seemed to lock with the brake pedal full up and hard as a rock. I think I'll wind with 2 problems.

Thanks Jim
Jim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #20
WVZR-1

Quote:
I hadn't thought about removing the VSS and spinning it. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I'm sure it's its key on and engine off , right.
I hope it's the problem because I just off the phone with the local dealer and he said GM no longer stocks the module.

Just to be clear it did not pull and all wheels seemed to lock with the brake pedal full up and hard as a rock. I think I'll wind with 2 problems.

Thanks Jim
I don't see where you mentioned trying the after-market vacuum check valve for the booster. Have you? It did or didn't fit? I mentioned maybe measuring he diameters while you had it apart. Did you?