ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-14-2010   #11
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: SPAL FANS A NON INSTALL STORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1683 View Post
Thanks,

You saved me from purchasing the SPAL fans I was considering before I read this thread. Does SPAL or anyone else make higher cfm fans that will replace the stock fans and fit into the stock fan shroud?
Not that im aware of. Save your money the stock fans work fine.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #12
threestar40

I agree on the stock fans...explored this awhile back and I'm glad I didn't do it.

I love shopping for and installing badass electric fans though...it's fun.

Rick =)
threestar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #13
rkreigh

I haven't installed it yet but I have the dewitts dual fans which come in a replacement shroud

stock fans work great with the thinner rad cores (stock/fludyne) but with a stroker LT5, high compression, and the AC on, my temps creep up a bit on hot days in traffic. car runs very cool as longs as it's moving, so the stock fans are having trouble "pulling" the air through the much thicker rad core of the Ron Davis rad

I encountered this same problem on the TT C5 Z06 (the turbo system carries alot of heat) and the dewitts fans solved the "temps creeping up in traffic" problem

I'll soon tear into this project and see how they fit.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #14
pantera1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
I haven't installed it yet but I have the dewitts dual fans which come in a replacement shroud

stock fans work great with the thinner rad cores (stock/fludyne) but with a stroker LT5, high compression, and the AC on, my temps creep up a bit on hot days in traffic. car runs very cool as longs as it's moving, so the stock fans are having trouble "pulling" the air through the much thicker rad core of the Ron Davis rad

I encountered this same problem on the TT C5 Z06 (the turbo system carries alot of heat) and the dewitts fans solved the "temps creeping up in traffic" problem

I'll soon tear into this project and see how they fit.
Keep us posted.

I noticed the Spal fans are rated at 2760 cfm and are dual 11". Does anyone know the cfm for the stock fans? I know they are larger (11.77") than the Spal fans.
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #15
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Is the electrical connection for the Dewitt's Dual Fans compatible with the stock electrical connection?
Yes Cliff thats the only part which is identical
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #16
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
What is the part number for the Dewitt's Dual Fans?
Is the electrical connection for the Dewitt's Dual Fans compatible with the stock electrical connection?

I have a Ron Davis Rad (Randy Woods HD165 Thermostat) so your installation of the Dewitt's Dual Fans with the Ron Davis Rad is very interesting

not sure the part number, I bought them on sale at carlilse last year

had so many other car, job, (gulp club) issues that I haven't installed them.

now it's HOT~~!! and I need them. I drive the car with the top off (x bace bars work GREAT!) to get natural AC, but when the car is in traffic with AC on, it slowly creeps up.

since I changed jobs, I don't drive the ZR-1 to work anymore (metro only 2 miles away) so I don't experience the problem.

the dewitts stuff does seem to be a quality product

setup works great on the C5 TT had the same issue of temps creeping up with the AC on

I hope to find the time soon, but with the many projects, I dunno....
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote