ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-05-2006   #11
WB9MCW

Default Re: Paint care for your Z.

wow u guys just answered all the ?'s I had on a big Zaino post I have over on Corvette Valley on Zaino products! WAX ON WAX OFF...remember that ad slogan???
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #12
HAWAIIZR-1

Here is what I have been using for the past year and love it. I could not remember what it was called initially, but I imagine this is like Zaino (maybe?)

You'll notice it mentions use on BOATS/fiberglass......Don't we have a BOAT engine .

I love it because I use it for everything including the glass and my CCW wheels.

Like someone already said, personal preference and you end up sticking with something that works for you. I don't know if my paint can look any better than it does but I might try Zaino some day if I see one in person and like it.

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Why haven?t I heard of KLASSE before?
    Although KLASSE has been the bench mark of surface care products for over 11 years, our major market has been the West Coast. Until recently, it was never advertised. Instead, we relied strictly on word-of- mouth, which is still our most successful technique. It took almost 12 years for the "grapevine" to reach the East.
  • Why is "All-in-One" different than wax?
    "All-in-One" contains no wax nor any of it?s shortcomings such as: it doesn't clean, it doesn't last, it's easily removed by gasoline, it builds up and turns yellow. Waxes (even carnauba) can turn to acid through oxidation or hydrolysis (this process is called saponification). Instead, we've created a one-step non- abrasive, long lasting, easy to use, versatile, safe and dependable acrylic alternative.
  • Can I use "All-in-One" above and below the waterline of my boat?
    Absolutely! Below the waterline: "All-in-One" will remove most forms of hull contamination, restore shine and color, and help retard algae growth. Sorry, but boat can?t be in the water when working on the hull. Product is not affected by salt water, and is environmentally friendly.
  • Why is this product so expensive?
    Granted, without seeing our products work, or having them explained properly, the initial "container" cost does seem high compared to the many cheap consumer products available. The performance, versatility and durability we have engineered into our products are the result of a no-compromise design approach. We use only the finest West German chemicals and technology, with no shortcuts in the formulation . It's false economy to buy 15 or more $3.00 to $8.00+ mediocre products that can?t do as much, last as long, or work as reliably as a single bottle of "All-in-One".
  • Is KLASSE like the paint sealant the car dealer wanted to sell me with my new car?
    There is no comparison between what is usually sold and any of our products. We won't point fingers, but beware of multi-year claims and read the fine print. "All-in-One" is superior to what dealers offer. You apply a better product, enhance your vehicle?s value and appearance, and save money.

HOW TO USE "ALL-IN-ONE"
    More than a wax that you simply put on, let dry, and wipe off. "ALL-IN-ONE" is a real polish. A polish is a substance that both takes away and adds. The chemical cleaners combined with a little elbow grease take away oxidation and surface scratches. This in itself reveals the oils and inherent shine in the paint (clear coat is paint). The polish also adds oils for additional shine ("wet-look"). Thus, simply putting on, letting dry, wiping off will add shine but no do much taking away. Condition of the paint has more to do with how much work is involved. "ALL-IN-ONE" in itself is easy to use.
    Damp cloth: a wash cloth (terry cloth wash cloth) Wet, wring out to make it damp. Do a test area first. Start with small amount (about a quarter-size) Use back & forth motions (like polishing compound), or large circular motions. Even, form pressure (not digging in). Wipe off immediately. Repeat. First shot does mostly cleaning. Second puts more acrylic down and the paint will feel softer. First time use will take the most work. Keep it up every 4-6 months. It's really simple: 15 minutes.
    Quickly Detail
    Put an ounce or two in a pint spray container, fill with water, and shake. Spray on, wipe off. For paint, plastic, windows, chrome. Car Wash Put a capful or two in a bucket of water and stir. Use as a car wash. Yes this really works. Try it.
    Comments on technique
    1. Damp cloth to apply, soft cotton terry cloth to take off.
    2. "ALL-IN-ONE" is compatible with water. No need to dry car completely.
    3. More product is not better.
    4. Works immediately. No need to dry. If it does dry, no problem. You can do entire car and wipe off with a towel in each hand.
    5. Particularly bad areas can be worked on numerous times. Face cloth in one hand, soft towel in other. Rub on, wipe off, repeat until point of no return. (No need to keep using more product)
    6. "ALL-IN-ONE" may be applied to cloth or directly to paint.
    7. Can be used in sun, but much preferable to work in shade.
    8. Hot paint should not be touched. Cool down with hose.
    9. "ALL-IN-ONE" will not get rid of embedded grit (Industrial fallout) or house paint overspray.

Big Features/Benefits
    1. Maintains shine, wash after wash.
    2. Does not stain rubber & plastic trim.
    3. Car easier to wash, dirt comes off more easily.
    4. Does not hold heat (like wax). Allows paint to breathe. Can be used on fresh paint next day.
    5. Acrylic offers protection against UV light & heat (unlike wax).
    6. Great clarity & depth: that deep rich "Wet-Look".
    Economics
    Illusion: Seems (relatively) expensive
    Reality: A bargain
    Use one-two ounces twice a year with no need to buy different products for different needs (separate cleaners, polishes, wax) or different products for different purposes (plastic polish, car wash, chrome polish, etc.)

Additional Information
    The uniquely formulated KLASSE "ALL-IN-ONE" NON-ABRASIVE CLEANER PROTECTOR is in ONE PRODUCT an exceptional cleaner, restorer, "wax", polish and sealant. With an easy ONE-STEP application, it removes oxidized paint, old wax buildup, road tar, gasoline stains, water spots, tree sap, bird droppings and paint over-spray with excellent results, and without scratching the paint.
    It then immediately seals and protects the surface with an elastic non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant, long lasting acrylic finish.
    "ALL-IN-ONE" protects against salt water, ultraviolet rays, acid rain, industrial pollutants, rust, and corrosive elements for 6 to 8 months. Since no drying time is necessary (wipe on and wipe off), it leave no residue.
    "ALL-IN-ONE" is unsurpassed for all paint (including clear coat), plexiglass, fiberglass, plastics, glass, metal surfaces, enamel, tiles, formica® and other non-porous surfaces. It is anti-static and contains no harmful ingredients which might damage surfaces, and eliminates the need for conventional waxes of any type.

KLASSE ALL-IN-ONE FOR RETAIL & PROFESSIONAL USE
    Acrylic One-Step: Cleaner-Polish-Protectant Cleans: Oxidation, Tar, Sap Polishes out surface scratches & swirl marks enhances Protects with acrylic for about 6 months
    Use on: All Paint - Great for clear coat Plastic - Convertible windows, wind deflectors, bug shields, etc. Fiberglass, Chrome, All Hard Surfaces
    NO SILICONE, NO ABRASIVES, NO WAX, NO POLYMERS, NO TEFLON
  • After I use ALL-IN-ONE, I use
  • Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is a highly concentrated acrylic formula glaze for new cars and oxidation-free surfaces. High Gloss Glaze provides an additional protective layer over the All-In-One with an exceptionally brilliant mirror-like shine.

High Gloss Sealant Glaze creates an elastic, non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant - protective seal against ultraviolet rays, salt water, acid rain and industrial pollutants for up to 12 months. Use this glaze on all paints with or without clear coats, glass, fiberglass, Plexiglass, plastics, metal surfaces, enamel, tiles, Formica and all non-porous surfaces. It is anti-static, non-abrasive and contains no ingredients harmful to paint, metal or plastic.

A lot of customers who order High Gloss Sealant from Klasse, the German giant in car care, tell us how impressed they were. You put a lot of time and effort into detailing, so your finish should always “reflect” the care you put into it. Use Klasse High Gloss Sealant to achieve optimum results, including that deep mirror shine that reflects beautifully with diamond-like facets for six months or longer. Many people who use this sealant report that they only have to put a new coat on every twelve months. Some people re-gloss every 6 months or so. Here is how using this product provides an amazingly, reflective shine:

Acrylic Formula. Unlike many sealants, this product is 100% acrylic based, and highly concentrated for a long shelf life. This formula will transform your vehicle into a stunning work of art that reflects upon how much you cherish your vehicle.

Hides and Removes Imperfections. When used in conjunction with Klasse All In One Polish, you will see scratch marks and paint discolorations disappear. This gloss hides and removes more swirls than any other brand, and provides the ultimate protection in extreme weather. One of our Colorado based customers called in to let us know how great his Klasse products work during harsh, winter months. His finish actually repelled snow and sleet which left him stunned and elated!

Pure Protection. This product is a pure, acrylic protectant. There are no cleaning or polishing agents or water in the composition of the sealant. Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze creates an elastic, non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant - protective seal against ultraviolet rays, salt water, acid rain and industrial pollutants for up to 12 months. Use this glaze on all paints with or without clear coats, glass, fiberglass, Plexiglass, plastics, metal surfaces, enamel, tiles, Formica and all non-porous surfaces. It is anti-static, non-abrasive and contains no ingredients harmful to paint, metal or plastic.

Heritage in Car Care. When you purchase Klasse, you will have peace of mind knowing you are using the highest quality products offered in the car care industry. For over twenty five years Klasse has been producing this exceptional line.

Max’s Tips

• MULTIPLE COATS will increase the clarity of the reflective shine, and deepen the overall mirror like finish.

• DAMPEN YOUR MICROFIBER PAD then apply a dime-sized amount onto the pad. Wipe in long, layered strokes and use just a little pressure, it won’t hinder the results. Let the sealant remain on the entire surface area of your vehicle as long as possible before you buff your car. Mist the surface with quick-detailing spray if it resists buffing.

• WAIT 8-12 HOURS BEFORE APPLYING additional coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant. I recommend you let your car sit overnight and then reapply in the morning or afternoon.

16.9 oz. Made in Germany

Old 03-05-2006   #13
Aurora40

So the long-and-short is the product is Klasse?

Klasse is an acrylic product, the AIO is a very good chemical cleaner. I use it for prepping for many other products such as Zaino, etc. It cleans well, is easy to use, and leaves a nice smooth acrylic layer (albeit one that isn't overly durable on its own).

I find SG a very interesting product. You can literally see it cure. Put it on thick and there will be raised thick lines of clearish acrylic that are reasonably difficult to buff off. It has an interested polished look to it, though not always my favorite. But certainly good looking, and a very interesting product. Klasse is one of those ones I'd always keep around just because of its uniqueness.

If you've never tried it, try AIO on things like porcelain countertops, etc.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #14
HAWAIIZR-1

Hey Aurora 40,

I'm glad to hear from someone else that has used the Klasse product. Having used (All in One) it and Zaino over it, I take it you recommend I use Zaino instead of the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze?

Thanks for your advice,

Craig
Old 03-05-2006   #15
Aurora40

Well, it all depends on what you prefer. On my Aurora, I'm currently using AIO followed by SG. The SG shows a bit more of the "red" of the paint, and I also feel like it lasts longer than Zaino. Though both are an excellent choice. Just use whichever one gives you the result you prefer, or the ease-of-use you prefer, etc.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #16
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks, good to hear from someone who has first hand experience. I am impressed by the photos on Zaino website, but it sure does sound like a lot of work and products to get to show car shine. I can feel my fingers getting carpal tunnel syndrome already. Thanks again for your replies.
Old 03-05-2006   #17
WB9MCW

HERE ARE THE DETAILS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR.......

Carnauba Wax vs. Paint Sealants
Carnauba Wax vs. Paint Sealants Learn the facts on each.

You have two basic choices when it comes to paint protection: carnauba or synthetic. Both have their good points, and the choice is really all about personal preference.

Carnauba wax is the preferred wax of collectors and concours enthusiasts because it creates a rich, warm glow. It doesn’t appear to sit on the paint. It transforms the paint into a deep, liquid pool that shimmers under changing light conditions. The more carnauba, the more shine. The wax is produced by the Brazilian Tree of Life in order to coat its leaves. The wax provides protection from the sweltering sun and it sheds water so it falls onto the ground and is absorbed by the tree’s roots. If you think back to junior high science class, you might remember that plants absorb oxygen through their leaves. For this reason, carnauba wax is breathable. Good for the tree and good for your paint.

Carnauba is rock hard in its natural form. When the leaves of the Tree of Life are harvested, the wax flakes off as the leaves dry out, or they are put into a machine that removes the wax. It comes off in hard flakes. Wax makers have to blend the wax with oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha (commonly used to thin wood varnishes and paints) in order to make the wax workable. The very best carnauba-based wax is only about 1/3 natural carnauba. It’s probably for the best since the price gets higher and higher as the concentration of carnauba rises. When a product advertises “pure carnauba wax” or “100% carnauba wax”, they are referring to the purity of the carnauba that is in the product, not the product as a whole. One example is Mother’s California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax.

That brings us to grading. Carnauba is harvested and then graded according to color, purity, and where it was grown. Trees grown in the northern area of Brazil produce the highest grade carnauba. The yellow wax is the most pure and therefore receives the highest grade. This is the grade most commonly used in high end car waxes and in the pharmaceutical industry. (They coat pills in it so they go down easier.) Some manufacturers refine the yellow wax again into an ultra-pure white wax. Such is the case with Pinnacle Souveran.

As you’ve already read, carnauba protects the leaves of a certain palm tree from the intense heat and humidity experienced in Brazil. The wax repels water and, consequently, most contaminants. When applied to any surface, carnauba retains these characteristics. Therefore, an application of a carnauba-based wax to your vehicle will protect it from UV rays, heat, moisture, oxidation, and environmental contamination. And it looks like a million bucks!

The drawback of carnauba, if you can call it a drawback, is that it does not last as long as a synthetic sealant. A carnauba finish will wear off in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. It depends heavily on the climate in which you live and whether or not your vehicle is garaged. Daily commutes in a hot, humid climate mean a shorter life span for your carnauba coat.

In a nutshell, carnauba wax is the wax of enthusiasts. It appeals to people who want the absolute most stunning shine available and are willing to spend a couple of hours every month or so to get it. Most of them will tell you it is time well spent.

Paint sealants are kind of the anti-carnauba. They last a lot longer, they are easy to apply, and there’s nothing natural about them. This is surface science at its best. A paint sealant is made of polymers, which are composed of tens of thousands of synthetic particles that are linked together. When a sealant bonds to your vehicle’s paint, it forms a rigid shell. It is not the warm carnauba that seems to melt into the paint. Paint sealants sit on top of the paint like a transparent chain metal suit. They are glossy and slick, but they do not have the warmth and depth of a carnauba.

Paint sealants have gotten progressively more popular as time goes on. Some people really love the hard-as-glass look. In an industry that is driven by technology, it seems appropriate that an engineered paint protector is the new favorite among the younger generation of detailers.

However, the real selling point of a paint sealant is the durability. A premium paint sealant can last 4 to 6 months, sometimes longer. Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, for example, can last up to 12 months. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant lasts the more typical 4 to 6 months. By “last”, I mean that water will continue to bead and the paint will remain protected from UV rays and contamination. For people that spend more time driving than detailing, the paint sealant may be the way to go.

Paint sealants are extremely easy to apply. They are always in liquid form and they spread easily by hand or with a polisher. This time-saving feature makes paint sealants an attractive choice for those who like instant gratification, and who doesn’t?

As you’ve seen, there are a lot of differences between paint sealants and natural carnauba waxes. Glassy, hard shell or deep, liquid shine? Six months or six weeks? These are the basic questions you have to answer before selecting your paint protection. However, a growing number of enthusiasts simply refuse to choose. Instead, they coat their vehicles with a layer of sealant for long-lasting protection and then top it with a layer of carnauba for the dazzling shine. Even if you forget to reapply carnauba in 6 weeks, your paint won’t suffer. It’s the perfect marriage of beauty and longevity!

Remember, paint protection is one of your vehicle’s basic necessities. No matter what kind of product you choose, Autogeek has got your vehicle covered.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 03-05-2006 at 09:46 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #18
bobbyhi

I have been looking for something different for the Z and went to the Zaino website. Doesn't look too difficult compared to regular waxing. I ordered the premier kit and going to give it a try when the snow melts. Just got done with the calipers and slotted rotors. Looks good!!
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote