ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-04-2010   #11
threestar40

Default Re: GS-D3 demise rumor,( again! )?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
I think there is too much worrying go on about the 17s.

I put on the nit to 555r and have 6 piston Baer 6s calipers with drilled slotted eradispeed 2 piece rotors - works great.

There are still options for 17s.
I agree...I'm running NT01's on the street...c'mon...it's a dry weather car 99% of the time...If your driving in the rain your not in performance mode anyway.

Vredesteins aren't terrible...any word on those? They look bad, but perform just fine. What about Sumitomo?

Rick
threestar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #12
FU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 quasar blue View Post
Frank, would you feel comfortable with the spacers at high speed? That's my only worry. There are some great deals on OEM Z06 wheels on the other site right now. About the same price as A-mold replicas but, I would assume without the extra weight. Also, any suggestions on what to get for wheel studs?
Thanks
High speed with hardened studs shouldn't be any problem. Wheel studs should be easy find at GMPP or Jeg's etc. I'll try Nitto Invo's 285/18 & 345/19's these are the same as on my ZO6 and they stick quite well. All 4 tires can be bought for a little over 1K delivered. So for me it's a no brainer.......cept where to get the cash
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #13
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2 View Post
So for me it's a no brainer.......cept where to get the cash
You still waiting for your 'Bailout' Money too

J/K I know what you mean
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #14
tomtom72

sorry for being absent from this thread after starting it!

Okay, now I want to thank everyone for the valuable input. I looked up Dom's thread about the C6/ZO6 wheels the other day. Thank you Dom for sharing the skinny.

Okay so that's two people that got it from G/Yr dealers that the D3's are history. I hate to say this, but wet grip means more to me than dry grip....yes I do use mine in the rain. Okay you can flame me but once you drive on D3's in the wet you really will not feel safe on many other tires. Not to start a debate, but if you watch F1 &/or any road racing the semi-wet tires in use today are almost exact copies of the D3 tread pattern. At normal public road speeds that pattern moves water to the side only and traps almost no water under the tread blocks. Okay, rant over. Sorry!
Please, please, please Mr. Goodyear don't do this.

Stupid Question session:
Why do we need to use spacers with the ZO6 wheels? To clear our rear calipers & suspension parts, right? If so, do we need 16 mm or can we go thinner?

Which kind of spacer is safer to use? Just a spacer that fits our studs, albeit with longer studs like hardened ARP or Moroso studs?

Or, I've seen spacers that have their own studs and holes to fit over the studs already on the hub....I assume that our stock lug nuts tighten into a counter sunk hole?

Sorry for all these stupid Q's.

I assume that the costlier way to do a wheel change is to call some one like CCW and have them make wheels in 18/19 with our offsets, right?

TIA

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #15
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
I hate to say this, but wet grip means more to me than dry grip....yes I do use mine in the rain. Okay you can flame me but once you drive on D3's in the wet you really will not feel safe on many other tires. Not to start a debate, but if you watch F1 &/or any road racing the semi-wet tires in use today are almost exact copies of the D3 tread pattern. At normal public road speeds that pattern moves water to the side only and traps almost no water under the tread blocks. Okay, rant over. Sorry!
Please, please, please Mr. Goodyear don't do this.
I had the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires and liked them very much. I didn't drive them in the rain but have read they do very well in the wet.

I only mention them as they are available in 17" if you go up to 335. Just another option for those wanting to stay with their OEM wheels and know they'll see rain.
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #16
HIZNHRZ

I've been running Michelin Pilots for more than 10 years (no, not the same set). They are not much for drag racing but I've always been pleased with their wet and dry road performance.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #17
ZRapid-1

This thread has good timing. I also planned on buying the Goodyear GS-D3's after talking to other owners and doing some research. They seemed to be the best replacement available.

Tire Rack was showing the rears available in January - which was perfect as I was going to replace all 4 tires in the spring.
That doesn’t appear to be the case..

I wrote directly to Goodyear and received the following reply:

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting us through our website.

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 in size 275/40R17 shows currently on back-order with no
production date scheduled. There are currently approximately 92 available
nationwide at our various company owned locations. The eagle F1 GS-D3 in
size 315/35R17 shows currently on back-order with a production scheduled
date of October 24, 2011. There are currently zero available nationwide at
our various company owned locations.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards.
Kathleen Miller
Customer Relations
ZRapid-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #18
tomtom72

Thanks again guys for all the sharing of info and the direct communication with G/Yr.

Thanks also for the review on the PS2's guys! Some of my C5 & C6 crusin' buds use them and swear by the wet grip. I guess I will go and eye up the tread pattern & see what I can see.

Hey Scott, 335's fit on an 11" wheels? I never gave any thought to going up that far in size as I thought it would have been over the wheels width's limit?
Thanks for the insight man!

Kudos to everyone for sharing their info!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #19
HIZNHRZ

Tom,

Yes, I have always felt the fit was fine. There is a tire company that sells and services tires for all street and track applications. I had them look at the fit, just to make sure, and they agreed the 335's on stock wheels would not be a problem. You can see it in the sidewall if you are looking for it. Here's a picture that has been posted before:

For the past ~2 years I've had 335's on 18" CCWs. The wheels that I replaced (and all wheels & tires prior) were 17" wheels with 335's. Phil (Jagdpanzer) bought the set in the picture when the 18's went on. He is still running them. Talk with him as well.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #20
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Hey Scott, 335's fit on an 11" wheels? I never gave any thought to going up that far in size as I thought it would have been over the wheels width's limit?
The PS2 in 335/35-17 has an approved rim width of 11-13". Every tire can be different, but the PS2's should be fine.

The thing I liked about Goodyear was they were not insanely expensive (PS2's are $400 per rear tire), and they were made here. Plus of course they were a great wet-weather tire, and not bad in the dry.

FWIW, I will likely be getting Ecsta XS's as the next tires, but I suspect they will be poor in rain. I don't drive the ZR-1 as much anymore since I got the V, so it's more of a nice-weather car than it used to be.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote