ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-15-2020   #11
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Are These the Correct LEDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
- You will need to modify the foglamp wiring to ensure that the foglamps work. I was not able to make load resistors work with these LEDs. I did the "Yun mod" on the foglamp relay and that worked out perfectly.
Hmmmm... That makes no sense to me at all. Controlling the fog lights is a relay. To operate the relay one side of the relay (actuator) coil has to be @/near ground potential, either by physically running one side of the relay coil to ground OR replacing the normal resistance path to ground via the "load resistor".

These two methods have different results:

The LOAD RESISTOR method restores the OE function of the fog lights - i.e., they turn OFF when the high beams are activated and turn ON when the lo beams are activated (assuming the fog light control switch too is in the ON position in the first place).

The other ("Yun") method physically interdicts the relay circuit and instead physically running one side of the relay coil directly to ground. This method assures the fog lights are ON regardless of the (hi/lo) bean status of the headlights, assuming the dash fog light switch is selected to ON, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100-0 Hi Lo switch schematic.jpg (147.6 KB, 14 views)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020   #12
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiecyk View Post
Hey Jeff,
Was the installation for the fog lights very difficult?
Hard to say as I had to front bumper off to replace the damaged lenses.

With the fog lights I bought I had to shorten the adjusters that thread on the back the lens. You know the ones the bulb goes through. Since the heat sink was too big to fit.

Cutting that was worth it for the amount of light I now have compared to before
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020   #13
ram_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Hmmmm... That makes no sense to me at all. Controlling the fog lights is a relay. To operate the relay one side of the relay (actuator) coil has to be @/near ground potential, either by physically running one side of the relay coil to ground OR replacing the normal resistance path to ground via the "load resistor".

These two methods have different results:

The LOAD RESISTOR method restores the OE function of the fog lights - i.e., they turn OFF when the high beams are activated and turn ON when the lo beams are activated (assuming the fog light control switch too is in the ON position in the first place).

The other ("Yun") method physically interdicts the relay circuit and instead physically running one side of the relay coil directly to ground. This method assures the fog lights are ON regardless of the (hi/lo) bean status of the headlights, assuming the dash fog light switch is selected to ON, of course.
Indeed, I understand how the system is supposed to work.

My issue was NOT that the fog lamps did not turn on or off as they were supposed to. The problem was that turning on the foglamp switch, regardless of the position of the headlamp switch, also turned on the high beam LEDs. This behavior occurred with or without the load resistors.

If you examine the rest of the circuit diagram, you see how the foglamp relay normally grounds through the high beam filaments. I have no idea why this does not turn on the normal high beam lamps; presumably something due to the voltage drop required. Perhaps the LED "high beam filaments" (in quotations, I know they are not filaments per se) need less of a voltage drop to turn on.

Also it is entirely possible that different LED headlamp units behave differently in this regard. And perhaps this behavior is specific to the load resistors employed.

In summary, as I have posted elsewhere, you can either use a combination of LED headlamps and load resistors that have been shown to work by someone else, OR you can do the Yun mod and be assured that everything will work, but at the expense of the foglamps not turning off automatically with the high beams.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020   #14
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Indeed, I understand how the system is supposed to work.

My issue was NOT that the fog lamps did not turn on or off as they were supposed to. The problem was that turning on the foglamp switch, regardless of the position of the headlamp switch, also turned on the high beam LEDs. This behavior occurred with or without the load resistors.

If you examine the rest of the circuit diagram, you see how the foglamp relay normally grounds through the high beam filaments. I have no idea why this does not turn on the normal high beam lamps; presumably something due to the voltage drop required. Perhaps the LED "high beam filaments" (in quotations, I know they are not filaments per se) need less of a voltage drop to turn on.

Also it is entirely possible that different LED headlamp units behave differently in this regard. And perhaps this behavior is specific to the load resistors employed.

In summary, as I have posted elsewhere, you can either use a combination of LED headlamps and load resistors that have been shown to work by someone else, OR you can do the Yun mod and be assured that everything will work, but at the expense of the foglamps not turning off automatically with the high beams.
Veddy intorestink. BUT! Schomting is NOT as it should be!

Attached Images
File Type: gif VeddyIntadestink-1.gif (72.1 KB, 6 views)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020   #15
-=Jeff=-

Well I added a relay without cutting wirings.. here's some info

Added Fog Light Relay:
Cut Lt Grn
Power side of Lt Grn to Pin 86 of New Relay
Pin 85 and Pin 30 of New elay to Ground (New Wire)
fog light side of LT Grn to 87a of New Relay

I actually removed the Lt Grn Pin from the relay and moved it to the new relay socket ( same as the OEM sockets) so those directions are
Remove Lt Grn from Stock relay location
Insert Lt Grn to Pin 86 of New Relay socket
Pin 85 and Pin 30 of New Relay Socket to Ground (New Wire)
New Relay Socket pin 87a to Removed socket pin of OEM Fog Light Relay
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 12-16-2020   #16
ram_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Well I added a relay without cutting wirings.. here's some info

Added Fog Light Relay:
Cut Lt Grn
Power side of Lt Grn to Pin 86 of New Relay
Pin 85 and Pin 30 of New elay to Ground (New Wire)
fog light side of LT Grn to 87a of New Relay

I actually removed the Lt Grn Pin from the relay and moved it to the new relay socket ( same as the OEM sockets) so those directions are
Remove Lt Grn from Stock relay location
Insert Lt Grn to Pin 86 of New Relay socket
Pin 85 and Pin 30 of New Relay Socket to Ground (New Wire)
New Relay Socket pin 87a to Removed socket pin of OEM Fog Light Relay
The Yun mod does not involve cutting anything or moving any pins. Instead you modify the actual relay unit by bending the ground pin around and soldering on an additional wire that you then run to a ground point. Furthermore since the relay is a bog-standard Bosch unit you don't actually need to modify the original relay, just use another one and then you can switch back the original relay if you want. Thus the mod is 100% reversible in a matter of minutes.

Just in case anybody is reading this that hasn't read about the Yun mod before, the fog lamp relay in question is under the passenger side hush panel. It is the one that is closest to the passenger side door, i.e. most to the right. The ground lug that needs to be bent/soldered is the one that is closest to the left, i.e. closest to the next relay further away from the passenger door. The pic below shows what I did - I took out the OE relay and used a standard replacement that I had sitting on the shelf. The white wire running from the side of the relay is the ground wire, that runs to an existing stud near the door jamb on the passenger side. Therefore I can remove this ground wire and plug back the OE relay anytime I want and there will be ZERO mods to the wiring. (The pic is a bit weird because I used my cell phone to take it and then had to mirror image the pic to get the relay to be on the correct side...it is now pretty much how it appears if you lay down in the footwell and look up.)

Old 12-16-2020   #17
-=Jeff=-

Yes but I believe the YUN mod does not allow for factory operation.. my added relay does.. works with incandescent and LED.. fog lights will shut off with High Beams
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 12-16-2020   #18
ram_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Yes but I believe the YUN mod does not allow for factory operation.. my added relay does.. works with incandescent and LED.. fog lights will shut off with High Beams
Good point. May or may not be important depending on local jurisdiction. In Texas, my car is registered as an Antique Auto which means zero inspections, ever. So I couldn?t care less whether the fogs go off with high beams or not. YMMV.
Old 12-16-2020   #19
secondchance

I prefer full manual control over driving (fog) lights regardless of high, low or no headlight.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020   #20
32valvZ

Just to update... I completed the install of the LED headlights. Also did the YUN mod at the relay.

Everything went as planned for the most part. I did notice after cutting away the "bump" in the headlight buckets the lights still were not sitting in the buckets comfortably. I had to clearance the shoulders of the headlight bodies with my die grinder. Easy enough...

When its nightfall I will head out to aim the lights, although I cant imagine they'll be too far off.

They look brighter by far even in the garage during the day.

Special thanks to ramg for the pictures you sent!
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]