ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-04-2016   #11
WVZR-1

Default Re: INJ1 Fuse Blowing

Cliff - if you have and I'd think you do, I might just swap the coils and the module/coil pack as a package and see if the issue goes away. For you that's likely possible and maybe the easiest first step beyond the "head scratch" and "now what"!
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #12
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
So the issue is the coil base or the coils in the pack or?

Any possibility of bent pin on the DIS connector ? But that cant be he just drove back and forth to Canada so this has to be a new failure like a coil. Ok I see it now Dom
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Cliff - if you have and I'd think you do, I might just swap the coils and the module/coil pack as a package and see if the issue goes away. For you that's likely possible and maybe the easiest first step beyond the "head scratch" and "now what"!
Checked this morning and on a cold engine blew a INJ1 10 amp fuse immediately when trying to start the engine. Yesturday the fuse blowing was heat related as the fuse would not blow until the engine warmed up. This seems to me like it is an issue progressively getting worse and would indicate a coil pack and not a pinched wire.

Got Top End all apart and everything checks out fine. I even disconnected DIS from Plenum and plugged it in (with ground wire) and also plugged in Coils and could not blow the fuse. All injectors check out at 12 ohms but measuring back through ECM found one injector connector with 1/10 resistance of others but after fooling around found same on another ECM I plugged in...then the resistance disappeared on the injectors. Right now I have 4 new coils coming from Summit and will install them and connect things up including DIS without installing Plenum and turn on the switch. If INJ1 does not blow will install Plenum. I think I can plug in everything without installing the Plenum that might have impact on INJ1 fuse.

If I accidently hit start and the LT5 fires up without a Plenum I will definitely post up a photo. It might be a moon shot with direct air to the Injector Housings

Lee did not follow up on this
INJ1 Fuse keeps blowing TIPS

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-04-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #13
WVZR-1

Were you able to OR did you even try to locate the "splice" for the INJ wiring? Years ago that was the first place a tech might head towards if there was a known splice in the circuit.
Old 08-04-2016   #14
Dynomite

QUOTE=WVZR-1;245966]Were you able to OR did you even try to locate the "splice" for the INJ wiring? Years ago that was the first place a tech might head towards if there was a known splice in the circuit.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming that is inside the car.....I figured I would see if I can eliminate the fuse blowing as above by installing everything but the Plenum and if not....will then start from the fuse panel and work through the fire wall.

This could be as simple as a temporary short in one of the connectors on each injector that if you move the connector around with key on would short out...I will try that also. I will wiggle, twist, push, pull on each and every connector and wire to see if I can blow INJ1 fuse.

The BIG Problem is accidently fixing this issue of INJ1 Fuse Blowing without knowing for how long. This started all of a sudden so must/most likely is a component rather than a pinched or worn wire but could be one of the injector electrical connectors as they can move a bit.

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-04-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2016   #15
WVZR-1

See 8A-22-19 - Splice is S127 and I'd think it "in the vicinity" of where you're working. Search should work quite well with that .pdf, try S127 and G106.
Old 08-05-2016   #16
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
See 8A-22-19 - Splice is S127 and I'd think it "in the vicinity" of where you're working. Search should work quite well with that .pdf, try S127 and G106.
Yep.......I will check that......and thanks again.
Should I not be able to see zero ohms INJ1 fuse to ground any time I do have a short without the power on? And next time that fuse blows I will connect up the ohm meter downside the INJ1 fuse and have someone watch as I mess with wires.

It is one thing to have a short and associated fuse that blows and you let it go to be fixed later or limp home. This, on the other hand, stops you dead in the water

It is also one thing to have this happen hundreds of miles from home base. This, on the other hand, happened 100 feet from my garage

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2016   #17
Demps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Yep.......I will check that......and thanks again.
Should I not be able to see zero ohms INJ1 fuse to ground any time I do have a short without the power on? And next time that fuse blows I will connect up the ohm meter downside the INJ1 fuse and have someone watch as I mess with wires.
That's where I would start.

Key off and no resistance-->you can trace the culprit.

Key off and resistance-->wiggle &/or inspect wires & junctures.

Still resistance with analysis, key on:
--If no resistance, suspect a powered source in the tree--relay, ECM (itself or injector drivers),etc.
--if resistance, intermittent...heat it up, back to wiggling, pray...?

Ted

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #18
Dynomite

Default INJ1 Fuse Blowing

Got the 95' back together and installed 5 amp (#22) INJ1 fuse (requires 10 amp). Blew the 5 amp in five minutes....installed 10 amp correct fuse and been running for 30 minutes.

Took it for a spin and still running

Did install new MSD 8224 Coils and checked and rechecked all wiring.

Since the LT5 is now running as long as it has I suspect the issue of blown INJ1 Fuse was associated with something I monkeyed with:

Injector Connectors (16)
Injector Wiring Harness (2),
Coils (4),
DIS Connectors (5),
Coil Connectors (two),

I was going to monkey with the wiring from the Fuse Block through the Fire Wall but at this time appears not the issue.

I did re-install the DIS. And I have to say again.....with TB Coolant blocked at the Injector Housings I did not need to apply a lot of torque to the Plenum bolts and can reuse the Plenum gasket many times.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-06-2016 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2016   #19
32valvesftw

Good luck Cliff, I don't like those types of problems where there is more than one possible solution. Have you thought about putting the old coils on another Z to see if you can replicate the problem.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #20
Dynomite

Default INJ1 Fuse Blowing

No....... The other Zs are running perfectly and these coils had a lot of miles so will just toss them. Like Lee said in our duscussion (he had same issue with INJ1 fuse) he re-loomed injector wires and issue was solved. He does not know how exactly he fixed the issue (INJ1 fuse blowing)

I am in same boat as Lee
I have a clue but do not know exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-05-2016 at 09:22 PM.